First Trip Questions

Not required in 1961/62.

Bob Gardner

Well, I clearly misunderstood. Maybe it was something some CFIs did to insure that the student didn't try to cheat?

I hearby eat crow for having said it changed.:blush:

Please return to your reagularly scheduled thread...

John

Well, I clearly misunderstood. Maybe it was something some CFIs did to insure that the student didn't try to cheat?

I hearby eat crow for having said it changed.:blush:

Please return to your reagularly scheduled thread...

John

Good save sir........................ Well played.

Ben, I thought it was a rule too. Haas.

Well, here's a way to not be so shy - next time you're at a Class-D airport call the tower and ask if you can come upstairs for a visit. You might have to call FSS to get the tower phone number, I don't think it's normally published in the A/FD. Or the FBO will probably have it handy. Chat with the controllers for a while and you'll get a better appreciation of the whole system.

At some D-airports, it's just a simple phone call.

Good idea, thanks!

Okay, that is a courtesy that I always appreciated as a lineman and still do, but frankly, the lineman should never be within the prop arc - Walk to the side, come at the nosewheel from the side and put the chocks in, exit to the side. (Or come straight in from the front on a twin). Most linemen don't wait to see the keys, they just come in from the side after the prop has stopped.
My experience agrees with yours. We're trying to convey best practices to a less experienced pilot here, and I think that showing the keys is a best practice whether the lineman waits or not.

I had a run-in with our chief of maintenance in the club on this the other day. I was standing on the ramp, he came in (in the right seat) with a student. One needs to turn perpendicular to the rampway and then climb out and push (or a friendly somebody needs to push) you back into the parking spot.

I was standing on the ramp and went up to the plane to offer a push. I asked him to show me the keys. He said "it is off". I asked again, show me the keys. "The ignition is off". I walked away. Later he tried to bust my stones for not pushing him back. I busted his stones right back for not teaching by example best practices to the student.

-Skip

Last edited:
Back