First Trip Questions

mgpilot

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Matt
Hey Guys --

I have a couple of questions about making my first day trip someplace. On all of my XC work I just landed where I needed to and then took back off...never parked, talked to FBO, went to town, etc., so I want to make sure I know how this stuff works.

I'm planning on going to MVY for a day. They seem to have a nice website showing parking areas -- I assume when I land they will ask me to say parking and I'll respond with something like "transient GA" and they'll direct me there. Is this correct?

Also -- do I need to bring my own chocks / ropes for tie down? And do I need to contact the FBO in advance -- either by phone or in the air?

I appreciate it!
Matt

Hey Guys --

I have a couple of questions about making my first day trip someplace. On all of my XC work I just landed where I needed to and then took back off...never parked, talked to FBO, went to town, etc., so I want to make sure I know how this stuff works.

I'm planning on going to MVY for a day. They seem to have a nice website showing parking areas -- I assume when I land they will ask me to say parking and I'll respond with something like "transient GA" and they'll direct me there. Is this correct?

Also -- do I need to bring my own chocks / ropes for tie down? And do I need to contact the FBO in advance -- either by phone or in the air?

I appreciate it!
Matt

Usually airports like KMVY will have everything you need, but its never a bad idea to bring tie downs just in case.

When you land, if there are multiple parking areas, I generally will request taxi to the FBO and once you're out of the movement area, pick a place and park (or follow the lineman if he's there).

Matt, MVY is Super Easy. There is only one FBO. Once you get off the taxiway you can talk to them on 122.95 (UNICOM). They will most likely direct you to the blue tiedown ropes ( they have ropes and chocks) which is where the put transients. Then just tie down and check in at the desk its that simple. Make sure you take the bus to where ever you are going Its easy and inexpensive. You picked a great place to go for a day or weekend trip. Have fun!

Never flew to MVY so don't know. But you might check to see if they have a "ramp" fee. Some airports are going to charge you for the privilege of parking on their cement.
You can get blind sided when you come back and they ask for 25.00 or something (think Millionair at some airports).

I know nothing 'bout MVY but I do understand where you're coming from on learning about day and longer trips. In a nutshell, just look-up the FBO or airport manager on Airnav and give'em a call.

Everyone I've ever called has been exceedingly helpful. If it's moderate sized to big airport, calling the FBO(s) just before departure or even while inbound is enough. If it's a little airport in the middle of no-where and you're calling the manager then put in a polite call a few days ahead of time just to give'em time to respond (since airport management probably isn't their primary job).

Of course it also works the other way - just show up and say hey! but that works best at the moderate to big places. If you do that at podunk you may just find that they are out of 100LL or the credit card reader is broken or the ramp has been excavated in front of the pumps (my latest misadventure was the excavated ramp ordeal).

As usual, always have a plan B.

This exposes one of the many areas that usually aren't taught in primary flight training but should be, IMHO. It's not in the PTS, but it's important stuff to learn, and the lack of knowledge of this sort of information probably contributes to the problem of pilots getting their ticket and then never doing anything with it. I'm already keeping a list of "stuff that's not on the PTS but should be taught" in preparation for becoming a CFI.

Some people have answered your question specifically as it regards to MVY, but I'm going to give a more general answer, partially because I've never been to MVY but mostly because I hope you will be making trips to many destinations in the future! :yes:

The first thing: What is your mission for today? $100 hamburger at the on-field restaurant, you won't have much to do besides determine where on the field the restaurant is, taxi there, and look for the yellow T's or other airplanes to determine where to park. However, if you're going somewhere off-field, ground transportation is key. Are there rental cars? Courtesy cars? Loaner bikes? Golf carts? Or is your destination within easy walking distance of the FBO/Terminal? This sort of info can be found in the AOPA Airport Directory (which is worth calling to verify), from the FBO or airport manager, or if you want a neutral perspective you can ask here or look at comments on airnav.com.

As far as walking, remember that even something that's "adjacent to the airport" might be on the opposite side from the FBO and could be a few miles' walk to get to - Google Maps can help you out, it should be fairly obvious from the satellite view where the tie-downs are located and you should be able to see where your destination is located in relation to aircraft parking.

If you need fuel, it might be worthwhile to call ahead unless you'll have enough fuel left to go somewhere else if the pump breaks or they're out of fuel at your destination. I also use the AirNav.com "Great Deals Report" to find cheap fuel along the way. If you've never fueled a plane yourself before, it's worth having someone show you the ropes, though if THEY were never taught properly, it might be a "blind leading the blind" type of situation. I'll put some airplane fueling basics in the next post.

Hope this helps - Have fun! :yes:

The basics of fueling the airplane:

1) Ground the plane. There'll be a reel with a ground wire and clip near the pumps. Clip it to an un-painted metal part of the airplane. Generally, the exhaust pipe or the tow bolt on the nose gear work well. Most grounding cables have a retracting spring, with a ratchet to hold it in place.

2) Position the ladder if your fuel tanks aren't easily reachable from the ground.

3) Pay. There are 3-4 different types of payment systems, but they're fairly self-explanatory. They'll usually ask if you want to authorize a dollar amount or gallons - I just choose gallons and type the fuel capacity of the airplane so I'm sure to get a full top-off.

4) Turn the pumps on. Some will have a handle just like a new or old car gas pump, some will have a large switch somewhere. You'll hear the pump turn on.

5) Get the hose situated - I usually pull it out until I'm at the wingtip, which gives me enough slack to reach the tanks easily.

6) Pump fuel. Keep the hose over your shoulder so it doesn't rub on the airplane, and keep the nozzle in contact with the side of the filler pump to assist in dissipating static as you pump. When you finish pumping, do NOT "tap tap tap" the nozzle on the tank to avoid sparks.

7) Clean up - The grounding cable should retract on a spring, give a tug to release the ratchet, and walk the cable in, don't just let it retract. (Be nice to the airport's equipment, IOW.) Some fuel hose reels work the same way, but most have an electric motor to retract the hose. Some even have a hand crank. Reel in the hose, put away the ladder if you used it, retrieve your receipt from the payment station, and be on your merry way. As a courtesy to other pilots, if you're going to use the facilities, push your plane out of the way first so if someone else shows up they can use the fuel pump.

Nick mentioned a "movement area" in his post. Are there areas at towered airports that you don't need to call ground control to move around in? I've always been under the impression that you need to be in contact with ground to move anywhere on a towered airport. If there are areas where you can move without permission, how do you know where they are?

Another question about class D airports: Do you just tell the tower what you're going to do, then wait for them to "approve", or do you request to do something and wait for them to approve? The reason I ask is that once I was taking off from runway 22 and told the tower (when I was at the runway and ready for take off), that I was departing the area to the NW. The controller cleared me for take off, but didn't say anything else- like "right turn approved to desired heading". So I took off and stayed on the runway heading for awhile and she didn't say anything. Finally I asked for clearance to turn right to the NW, and she said "right turn approved". Should I have just turned right after takeoff without saying anything?

Another little story: at another class D, when at the runway (35) I called the tower and said, ready for take off, departing to the west. The tower called back and said something like, (I swear), "clear for take off, turn right to heading". I thought that was kind of funny, but I took off and made a slow right hand turn while climbing out to a heading of 270, which took me right over mid field. Next thing I know the tower guy called and griped me out for what I did. He said that if he knew I was going west he'd have turned me left and "kept me out of the pattern". I didn't feel like that was the time or place to get into an arguement about it over the radio, so I just said something like "sorry about that" and went on. What would you guys have done in this situation? When he told me to turn right to heading, I guess I should have called him back and asked if that was what he really wanted me to do?

Nick mentioned a "movement area" in his post. Are there areas at towered airports that you don't need to call ground control to move around in? I've always been under the impression that you need to be in contact with ground to move anywhere on a towered airport. If there are areas where you can move without permission, how do you know where they are?

Now would be a good time to review airport signs and markings.

Further info includes the comment that at some airports the ground controllers appreciate being informed about any movement and at others not so much. I've never been told to "shut-up" for advising of movement in a non-movement area but I have been told that the controller couldn't see me (which was basically a "don't call me yet").

If you just give the ol' "unfamiliar" most controllers will be quite helpful with any request. They're just as interested in avoiding any problem as you are since they don't want to deal with the paperwork an "incident" would entail.

I'm not bad on airport signs and markings. 'Course I passed the written test when I got my license 10 years ago, and recently took the AOPA online course on that subject, but I don't recall any kind of mark or sign that indicates where you're free to move around without talking to ground. A lot of my problem is that I learned at an uncontrolled field and since then do most of my flying out of and into uncontrolled fields. On occasion I do go into class D airports but find that each one is a little different in how they do things.

Hmmmm, no need to get defensive. The markings are common and documented in the AIM. Solid yellow line paralleled by a dashed yellow line marks the separation between non-movement and movement areas. Non-movement area is on the solid line side.

Sorry I came across that way.:wink2:

Last edited:
@flyingcheesehead: Best posts I've ever read here. Thanks.

@flyingcheesehead: Best posts I've ever read here. Thanks.

Thanks, and you're welcome! I worked as a lineman before I learned to fly, and I did the Phillips66 lineman training program. I also fueled a lot of airplanes for picky pilots ("point the nozzle that way, not that way!") and pretty much all of what you read above was the result of that experience, plus flying the plane all over creation and buying cheap self-serve fuel.

Glad to help! :yes:

Yes, there are "non-movement" areas, which are really "non-ground-control" areas. Usually ramps and such, where there may be lots of people, airplanes getting towed around, airplanes moving from hangar to fuel pump to maintenance hangar and back, etc.

It's kind of hard to tell where they are unless you're paying attention when you fly in, as there's no markings within the non-movement area, only at the border between the non-movement area and the movement area. Non-movement areas aren't marked on the airport diagrams, either. If you have any questions, ask a local pilot - Or just ask ground, they'd much rather have you call when you didn't need to than vice versa.

Call the FBO ahead of time on the phone... That conversation will calm the first time jitters... Remember, they are just some other guy's home airport, pretty much like your home airport... Like yours, the guys there will hang around the FBO and drink coffee and shoot the bull...

denny-o

to add to Kent's excellent post ...
at a local airport in CO
1. Ground a/c
2. enter tail number on CC reader
a. clear and enter again, remembering shift for Alpha
b. clear and enter again, remembering shift3 for Q
c. clear remaining QQQQQ because the key sticks
3. swipe card, guesstimate gallon limit or dollar limit - enter more than you think you need, but less than the card limit
4. drag hose to a/c
5. start nozzle and nothing happens
6. lay nozzle on ground, go back to pump and put handle down (off) because the previous guy didn't shut it off when done, and then back on
7. back to a/c and squeeze nozzle, dribble 1/10 gal into tank.
8. lay nozzle on ground, return to pump.
9. repeat steps 2-8 above, step 6 because you are now "the previous guy"
10. most likely you have now maxed out your credit card limit, or violated some security feature on your card. Select another card.
12. Verify pump handle is OFF OFF OFF OFF ... repeat steps 2-4 above, dispense fuel
13. Shut pump OFF, retract hose, retrieve receipt(s), unground a/c and take a slow look around to see how many pilots were watching (and saying to themselves "Yep, BTDT").

at a local airport in CO
1. Ground a/c
3. swipe card, guesstimate gallon limit or dollar limit - enter more than you think you need, but less than the card limit
4. drag hose to a/c
5. start nozzle and nothing happens
6. lay nozzle on ground, go back to pump and put handle down (off) because the previous guy didn't shut it off when done, and then back on
7. back to a/c and squeeze nozzle, dribble 1/10 gal into tank.
8. lay nozzle on ground, return to pump.
9. repeat steps 2-8 above, step 6 because you are now "the previous guy"
10. most likely you have now maxed out your credit card limit, or violated some security feature on your card. Select another card.
12. Verify pump handle is OFF OFF OFF OFF ... repeat steps 2-4 above, dispense fuel
13. Shut pump OFF, retract hose, retrieve receipt(s), unground a/c and take a slow look around to see how many pilots were watching (and saying to themselves "Yep, BTDT").

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Another question about class D airports: Do you just tell the tower what you're going to do, then wait for them to "approve", or do you request to do something and wait for them to approve? The reason I ask is that once I was taking off from runway 22 and told the tower (when I was at the runway and ready for take off), that I was departing the area to the NW. The controller cleared me for take off, but didn't say anything else- like "right turn approved to desired heading". So I took off and stayed on the runway heading for awhile and she didn't say anything. Finally I asked for clearance to turn right to the NW, and she said "right turn approved". Should I have just turned right after takeoff without saying anything?

Another little story: at another class D, when at the runway (35) I called the tower and said, ready for take off, departing to the west. The tower called back and said something like, (I swear), "clear for take off, turn right to heading". I thought that was kind of funny, but I took off and made a slow right hand turn while climbing out to a heading of 270, which took me right over mid field. Next thing I know the tower guy called and griped me out for what I did. He said that if he knew I was going west he'd have turned me left and "kept me out of the pattern". I didn't feel like that was the time or place to get into an arguement about it over the radio, so I just said something like "sorry about that" and went on. What would you guys have done in this situation? When he told me to turn right to heading, I guess I should have called him back and asked if that was what he really wanted me to do?

I fly out of a class-D and I've had the same experiences:

In your situations:

1) Tower cleared you for takeoff but didn't say "right turnout approved". I don't remember if I've ever NOT gottent that phrase, but if I hadn't then I'd probably say something like "I'd like to make my right turnout now".

2) If I get an instruction from the tower that just doesn't make sense - like being told to turn east when I had said I'd be departing west, then it's just a simple call back to verify "Departing to the west, verify you want me to make a left turnout?" My airport is pretty busy, so the controller(s) occasionally do make a mistake once in a while. Like the time I got instructions to taxi to R36 when the winds were about 20 from the south and we were using R18. A simple "Are you sure?" was all it took.

Thanks Matthew! Yes, of course that's what I should have done. I guess I'm just too shy on the radio since I really don't talk to ATC very often.

I'm not bad on airport signs and markings. 'Course I passed the written test when I got my license 10 years ago, and recently took the AOPA online course on that subject, but I don't recall any kind of mark or sign that indicates where you're free to move around without talking to ground. A lot of my problem is that I learned at an uncontrolled field and since then do most of my flying out of and into uncontrolled fields. On occasion I do go into class D airports but find that each one is a little different in how they do things.

You may see a marking on the ramp surface that distinguishes the ramp (which Ground doesn't care about) from the movement area (which Ground does care about).

Looks like this
-------------------------------
- - - - - - - - - - -

with the dashed side on the "uncontrolled" space. You could taxi up there and call ground before crossing the line.

But, there's no guarantee that marking will be there, and Ground shouldn't get mad if you just call from parking before moving at all.

Matt, MVY is Super Easy. There is only one FBO. Once you get off the taxiway you can talk to them on 122.95 (UNICOM). They will most likely direct you to the blue tiedown ropes ( they have ropes and chocks) which is where the put transients. Then just tie down and check in at the desk its that simple. Make sure you take the bus to where ever you are going Its easy and inexpensive. You picked a great place to go for a day or weekend trip. Have fun!

Ditto what Adam said. At KMVY Ground has always asked "how long will you be parking for?" on initial call up. You can reply with a time, or you can respond with the two options: "Restaurant Parking" (for maybe one or two hours) or "Blue ropes" (for longer) and since it is your first time there, ask for progressive taxi directions.

If you choose restaurant parking, there will be a lineman to guide you in. Another tip for a first timer: Before the lineman will put your chocks in, you need to complete your shut down, remove the ignition key and hold it up so the lineman can see it/them. That is his assurance that the engine won't decapitate him if he should bump the prop and a magneto fires...

The line staff at KMVY is very friendly and helpful. It is a good choice for a first flight!

-Skip

Hey Guys --

I appreciate it!
Matt

Maybe I am getting old or times have changed, but....

When I did my cross country training 30 years ago I had to go into the FBO and get a signature or their business card to give to my flight instructor on return.

Was that just his way of teaching? :dunno:

Ben.

When I did my cross country training 30 years ago I had to go into the FBO and get a signature or their business card to give to my flight instructor on return.

Ben.

Yep. Some CFIs do it that way, some don't. -Skip

What would you guys have done in this situation? When he told me to turn right to heading, I guess I should have called him back and asked if that was what he really wanted me to do?
If something doesn't make sense, by all means confirm it.

"Tower, confirm right turn out for 270 heading".

I had the same thing happen to me but in the air. I was approaching KHPN from the east, and the tower directed me to the left downwind 34.

"Tower, confirm left downwind for 34" "My error, enter right downwind 34, and thanks!"

-Skip

@Greg Kainz :goofy:You just perfectly described my first experience with self service pump.
Lesson learned - follow pump instructions PRECISELY!

The basics of fueling the airplane:

1) Ground the plane. There'll be a reel with a ground wire and clip near the pumps. Clip it to an un-painted metal part of the airplane. Generally, the exhaust pipe or the tow bolt on the nose gear work well. Most grounding cables have a retracting spring, with a ratchet to hold it in place.

2) Position the ladder if your fuel tanks aren't easily reachable from the ground.

3) Pay. There are 3-4 different types of payment systems, but they're fairly self-explanatory. They'll usually ask if you want to authorize a dollar amount or gallons - I just choose gallons and type the fuel capacity of the airplane so I'm sure to get a full top-off.

4) Turn the pumps on. Some will have a handle just like a new or old car gas pump, some will have a large switch somewhere. You'll hear the pump turn on.

5) Get the hose situated - I usually pull it out until I'm at the wingtip, which gives me enough slack to reach the tanks easily.

6) Pump fuel. Keep the hose over your shoulder so it doesn't rub on the airplane, and keep the nozzle in contact with the side of the filler pump to assist in dissipating static as you pump. When you finish pumping, do NOT "tap tap tap" the nozzle on the tank to avoid sparks.

7) Clean up - The grounding cable should retract on a spring, give a tug to release the ratchet, and walk the cable in, don't just let it retract. (Be nice to the airport's equipment, IOW.) Some fuel hose reels work the same way, but most have an electric motor to retract the hose. Some even have a hand crank. Reel in the hose, put away the ladder if you used it, retrieve your receipt from the payment station, and be on your merry way. As a courtesy to other pilots, if you're going to use the facilities, push your plane out of the way first so if someone else shows up they can use the fuel pump.

Good list!

I will add: If you have recessed fuel caps that have the tab that you flip up then twist 90* to remove, make sure when you put them back on that the 'flap' is facing backwards. I got that lesson from a cropduster that had apparently lost a fuel cap (and most of the fuel from that tank) in-flight when the tab was installed forward. It was loose enough that the wind flow over the top of the wing eventually pulled the tab up, then wiggled the fuel cap out and he lost quite a bit of fuel (and cropdusters are usually on minimal fuel to begin with).

Ben.

I just had to call in on my cell or a pay phone tell my CFI I was there.

Ben.

Nope, it changed. I got my certificate in 2006 and the signature was not required then either. Some knowledgeable CFI on here will no doubt chime in with when it changed.

John

If it changed it was longer ago than 30 years because I don't remember getting signatures from people on my cross-countries. That would have been in about 1977.

If it changed it was longer ago than 30 years because I don't remember getting signatures from people on my cross-countries. That would have been in about 1977.

Well, what I know is that I read about it in Gordon Baxter's stuff and I asked my CFI (who started flying in the 1940's) he said it's changed, but I didn't pursue when. Maybe I'm misinformed (if you can call that level of hearsay informed in the first place).

John

Well, what I know is that I read about it in Gordon Baxter's stuff and I asked my CFI (who started flying in the 1940's) he said it's changed, but I didn't pursue when. Maybe I'm misinformed (if you can call that level of hearsay informed in the first place).
What I was getting at is that I learned in about the same timeframe as N801BH and I never had to get signatures so it hasn't changed since then. I have no clue what it was like before that.

at a local airport in CO

Random key strokes in place of the actual n number work for me. I'll try your system next time to see if I can make it work.

Thanks Matthew! Yes, of course that's what I should have done. I guess I'm just too shy on the radio since I really don't talk to ATC very often.

Well, here's a way to not be so shy - next time you're at a Class-D airport call the tower and ask if you can come upstairs for a visit. You might have to call FSS to get the tower phone number, I don't think it's normally published in the A/FD. Or the FBO will probably have it handy. Chat with the controllers for a while and you'll get a better appreciation of the whole system.

At some D-airports, it's just a simple phone call.

This exposes one of the many areas that usually aren't taught in primary flight training but should be, IMHO. It's not in the PTS, but it's important stuff to learn, and the lack of knowledge of this sort of information probably contributes to the problem of pilots getting their ticket and then never doing anything with it. I'm already keeping a list of "stuff that's not on the PTS but should be taught" in preparation for becoming a CFI.

Some people have answered your question specifically as it regards to MVY, but I'm going to give a more general answer, partially because I've never been to MVY but mostly because I hope you will be making trips to many destinations in the future! :yes:

The first thing: What is your mission for today? $100 hamburger at the on-field restaurant, you won't have much to do besides determine where on the field the restaurant is, taxi there, and look for the yellow T's or other airplanes to determine where to park. However, if you're going somewhere off-field, ground transportation is key. Are there rental cars? Courtesy cars? Loaner bikes? Golf carts? Or is your destination within easy walking distance of the FBO/Terminal? This sort of info can be found in the AOPA Airport Directory (which is worth calling to verify), from the FBO or airport manager, or if you want a neutral perspective you can ask here or look at comments on airnav.com.

As far as walking, remember that even something that's "adjacent to the airport" might be on the opposite side from the FBO and could be a few miles' walk to get to - Google Maps can help you out, it should be fairly obvious from the satellite view where the tie-downs are located and you should be able to see where your destination is located in relation to aircraft parking.

If you need fuel, it might be worthwhile to call ahead unless you'll have enough fuel left to go somewhere else if the pump breaks or they're out of fuel at your destination. I also use the AirNav.com "Great Deals Report" to find cheap fuel along the way. If you've never fueled a plane yourself before, it's worth having someone show you the ropes, though if THEY were never taught properly, it might be a "blind leading the blind" type of situation. I'll put some airplane fueling basics in the next post.

Hope this helps - Have fun! :yes:

Hmmm...grist for the next edition of THE COMPLETE PRIVATE PILOT.

Bob Gardner

Nope, it changed. I got my certificate in 2006 and the signature was not required then either. Some knowledgeable CFI on here will no doubt chime in with when it changed.

John

Not required in 1961/62.

Bob Gardner

If you choose restaurant parking, there will be a lineman to guide you in. Another tip for a first timer: Before the lineman will put your chocks in, you need to complete your shut down, remove the ignition key and hold it up so the lineman can see it/them. That is his assurance that the engine won't decapitate him if he should bump the prop and a magneto fires...

Okay, that is a courtesy that I always appreciated as a lineman and still do, but frankly, the lineman should never be within the prop arc - Walk to the side, come at the nosewheel from the side and put the chocks in, exit to the side. (Or come straight in from the front on a twin). Most linemen don't wait to see the keys, they just come in from the side after the prop has stopped.

I don't think anything ever "changed" as I don't think it was ever a regulation that a student had to have those things to make the XC count.

Either way, I don't think Matt is a student, my understanding is that this is his first fun XC trip as a private (or sport?) pilot.

Back