First Timer Advice

Rob Schaffer

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
CLR2TKF
So, as I read these posts I hear how much fun there is at Gastons, 6Y9, etc, so this year my goal for this year is to attend Gaston's, following the Wings FlyBQ which is local to me. Now that it is getting closer, a few of us are starting to work out some of the details of our route from the Philadelphia / Wilmington Area and also looking at W&B.

Of the items you take with you and actually use while enjoying your stay, what do you find the most important to bring with you each year?

How's the weather, bugs, tics, etc?

Looking at pics, we can see pop-up canopies, folding chairs, and lots of beverages, but for three of us in an Archer, we need to pack with priority to what we will use.

Thanks in advance.....

I'd pack light, maybe a few folding chairs. beverages can be bought on site or in town. no need to load up the airplane unnecessarily. Also, it seems to be tradition that there are tailwinds for departures on Sunday so stack the deck in your favor.

To ride Tonys' shirt tail: pack light clothes as it will be quite warm and humid if history is any predictor of the future. Bring bug spray and sun block as well. Oh, and a camera.

Clothes, camera, sun screen and yourself. Chairs are always good if you can fit them--if not--don't worry about it. There are pilots with big airplanes that need a way to justify their size--so they'll bring all kinds of crap generally :)

...might not hurt to bring some Southern Comfort.

Handheld COM radio's good, to keep up with what's going on.

Sounds great guys. Keep any items you think of on the list here. I'm gathering some of the basic items and putting them in a small bag to get a weight later this week.

I have the handheld in my flightbag, so that is on it's way. I think I'm only bringing two lenses for my SLR, leave the bigger one at home.

I'm fine with sitting on a foam cushion or even on the grass instead of a chair, so that can come off the list.

Thanks!

There are pilots with big airplanes that need a way to justify their size--so they'll bring all kinds of crap generally :)

Yeah, and at this rate I'll be one of them. Maybe I'll pack my couch in the back of the Aztec. That sounds useful. And a welder. Never know when you'll need one of those. :)

Yeah, and at this rate I'll be one of them. Maybe I'll pack my couch in the back of the Aztec. That sounds useful. And a welder. Never know when you'll need one of those. :)

Guess you're sleeping in your airplane then eh? :D

I hope these guys don't toss my walker or crutches out on a fuel stop to lighten the load.....:eek:

Making a list too, going to keep it light and simple. I will bring along a chair it's very light and yet firm enough to be easy on my hip. I also have those chairs in a bag that you normal people with healthy parts can sit in AND get out of with no problem.
  • Flight Bag w/ handheld
  • Clothes
  • the real necessities - pit paste, tooth paste, brush
  • bug spray
  • camera and video
I'll scale my stuff once we get closer......I'm still :fcross: that I will be in good enough shape to go.

The crutches can be attached to the wings like those aerobatic guys instruments out there to help us during the manouvers with the Archer. :devil: Little duct tape should do the trick. No FAA form required, it's temporary :cornut:

Based on your first pass at W&B, I'm working on the spare tire around the waist to unload right now. :eek:

Don't forget the very important 3M0 Dam approach chart.

I'll scale my stuff once we get closer......I'm still :fcross: that I will be in good enough shape to go.

Who knows maybe you'll still be sore but still in better shape then you are now!
:fcross:

Based on your first pass at W&B, I'm working on the spare tire around the waist to unload right now. :eek:

Me too, although I cheated a bit today, being Red Sox (non)opening day today! Playing hockey tonight and tomorrow morning though to burn it off!

For sure I'll be packing as light as possible. I'm sure we can coordinate who brings what in terms of charts etc...

Guess you're sleeping in your airplane then eh? :D

Believe me, I'd be pitching a tent behind it if Gaston's would let me!

Given that that won't work, I'll stick to being in a room. ;)

Rob, bring a sweater and ski cap as you'll enjoy them in Arkansas in June Kind of like Hell in August. Hat, Shades, Sunscreen, extra Tshirts cause you WILL sweat. Its a LONG flight from KLOM. I've done it. 9:15 in the air. Head winds in both directions. You can get dehydrated on such a long flight not like the short hops you are used to. Bring some bottled water but not too much that you'll need to land and return it. I like Oranges to keep the mouth moist. Juicy but won't make you want to run to the john.

Depending upon fuel burn you can do it in one stop if you leave LOM full tanks. I suggest Cynthiana KY. If fuel burn won't permit one stop then try Clarksburg WV and Elizabethtown KY.

And Gary how the hell are you gonna sit in an Archer for 9+ hours with a brand new hip only 3 weeks post op?

And Gary how the hell are you gonna sit in an Archer for 9+ hours with a brand new hip only 3 weeks post op?

I'm not sure sitting will be as big a problem as getting in will be.....:crazy:

It will be nine weeks and I hope I'll be weight bearing long before that. Hmmmm......9 hours, we will have to make stops so I can unfold a few times and make sure all the parts are still working.

It's my goal to make the trip, If my Doctor clears me or as I put it , talk him into it. Mary is worried but the doctor clearing me will put her at ease. Plus, I'm sure she will have Rob and Adam keep me monitored for any attempt at stupid human tricks.

I'll know more after surgery this Thursday....:fcross:

Update:

Surgery went from 2.5 hours to 8.5 due to a spirial fracture stretching over a third of my femor. I lost plenty of the red juice and needed multiple transfusions to keep me going and after the bone graft splints, wire bands and hip replacement install. It took alomost 2 hrs to close me up. I spent the night in ICU the moved to the orthopedic floor.

Fast forward friday 4/17 Mary spung me out of the hospital due to my threats of wheeling myself out and hitching a ride. I home, on the mend but doubting I'll maqke gastons due to the comlications. I will be NO weight bearing for 8 weeks at the least so that would take me to 6/9 if everything goes perfect.

Hope to update again soon

Glad to see you're home Gary and on the mend.
Most important thing is to get you better first.

Were the parts they put in your femur STCed?:D

Well were all glad your healing even if its slowly. Perhaps Mary can drag your sorry butt upto the FlyBQ and we can wheel you down the runway or something just to get you near planes, Which IMHO will speed your rehab?:D

Be well my friend!

Update:

Surgery went from 2.5 hours to 8.5 due to a spirial fracture stretching over a third of my femor.

Glad to hear things turned out OK in the end. Know nothing of surgery, but that does sound pretty complicated.

Updates would be welcome!!

Gary

Nah, just bring that wine you were talking about last year :smilewinkgrin:

Update:

Surgery went from 2.5 hours to 8.5 due to a spirial fracture stretching over a third of my femor. I lost plenty of the red juice and needed multiple transfusions to keep me going and after the bone graft splints, wire bands and hip replacement install. It took alomost 2 hrs to close me up. I spent the night in ICU the moved to the orthopedic floor.

Fast forward friday 4/17 Mary spung me out of the hospital due to my threats of wheeling myself out and hitching a ride. I home, on the mend but doubting I'll maqke gastons due to the comlications. I will be NO weight bearing for 8 weeks at the least so that would take me to 6/9 if everything goes perfect.

Yikes. Glad you're doing better. Follow the doctor's instructions so you don't mess up the recovery and take even longer to get back in the air.

Back