First time playing around with video

Nice video. Was that with gopro?

It was. The Session. (I figured if I'm mounting something outside the plane, I should probably go as small as possible.) I also bit the bullet and got a WingIt mount, which I was happy with. Some vibration, but cleaned up in post-processing (obviously) -- next time will mount further away from the slipstream (higher on the strut) and see if that helps. Also I like that it holds two cameras (well, three, but I only have two). This time the second camera was too near a view to the first to make it worth using the footage from both, but in the future maybe one looking in the pilot window or looking down toward interesting things on the ground...

Last edited:
Where are you based? Seemed to be a costal area with all that water. Nice video!

Where are you based? Seemed to be a costal area with all that water. Nice video!

The flight was 8NC8 to W95; the water on departure is Falls Lake. We're normally based at RDU but we use a mechanic at 8NC8, so the plane occasionally sits there.

just a guess but did you use youtube's 'stabilize video' feature? it looks odd seeing a relatively stable view but the plane bouncing around on the side. either way, nice video and great view of the clouds!

just a guess but did you use youtube's 'stabilize video' feature? it looks odd seeing a relatively stable view but the plane bouncing around on the side. either way, nice video and great view of the clouds!

I did, yes. As odd as the nose motion looks, I thought it was too jarring having the horizon/view bounce around at 12x speed...

Back