First time I've ever left a flight lesson ****ed off.

- The flaps before power thing is the way I was always taught for T&Gs. As my primary instructor explained it, he wanted everything else setup so that once you hit the throttle all you are doing is flying the plane, not changing flap settings/carb heat/etc.
Part of transitioning to a new airplane is to sit down and read the POH for the proper procedures. I don't think the Cherokee book (at least the older ones) have the rejected landing procedure in it, but Cessna does. I don't agree with the original instructor either.

I agree with you, and not with the other guys. If I can't take a second or two to look down and raise the flap selector, while the engine is at idle, before giving full power, then that runway is too short for T&Gs and I'm going to do a full stop/taxi back. When the power is in, my eyes are on the runway, not my flap handle.
Just to point out, I think most people who said "power first, then flaps" were thinking of a go-around, not T&G. I was taught the same as the OP for a T&G: flaps up, then full power.

Welcome, Josh! :)

Thanks everyone for your feedback. I didn't expect so much of it so quickly :)

- The flaps before power thing is the way I was always taught for T&Gs. As my primary instructor explained it, he wanted everything else setup so that once you hit the throttle all you are doing is flying the plane, not changing flap settings/carb heat/etc.
)

First instructor was wrong. Power first.

Otherwise, if you can't do that, taxi back for the reconfiguration.

First instructor was wrong. Power first.

Otherwise, if you can't do that, taxi back for the reconfiguration.

carb heat, then flaps, then power on a touch and go...

I wouldn't be too worried if the first 1.5hrs in a high wing did not go so well. It took me 3 hrs to check out in a PA-28 coming from a c152 and another 10 to actually feel good about it.

If you don't fit with the instructor, get another one. Now that you've had some time to cool off or whatever, i'm sure you can make that call. If you think yous guys was just having a bad day, go for it again. If you show up with a good attitude and ready to fly after having a bad day, hopefully he will pick up on that.

Last edited:
Just to point out, I think most people who said "power first, then flaps" were thinking of a go-around, not T&G. I was taught the same as the OP for a T&G: flaps up, then full power.

Oh, then I agree. On a go-around or missed approach, I say to myself "power-up, pitch-up, clean-up (flaps, gear), speak-up." It took me a while to train myself to put the speak up thing last and only last.

One of the reasons that one of my CFIs doesn't like teaching touch and goes: too many students hurry the transition from landing to takeoff and get lost in what's happening. I was taught - a touch and go is a landing first, then a takeoff. So the flaps would be brought to a takeoff configuration before throttle up. A go-around is different - power first, then flaps.

People who fly later model ones might have that impression. The 170 I used to fly and the early sixties 172's had a pretty good view of the engine compartment when you opened the cowling door.

Of course, it's not unique to Cessnas. Lots of planes don't give you much access. At least on the Cessnas you can decowl it without removing the prop.

All true... I was just thinking in terms of what I was told during Primary training. Not one of my (eventual 6) instructors ever suggested any more than a cursory look into that little hole and through the front of the cowling (which didn't reveal much more)
:dunno:
C172_alt_belt.jpg

One of the reasons that one of my CFIs doesn't like teaching touch and goes: too many students hurry the transition from landing to takeoff and get lost in what's happening. I was taught - a touch and go is a landing first, then a takeoff. So the flaps would be brought to a takeoff configuration before throttle up. A go-around is different - power first, then flaps.
Different strokes, I guess.:dunno: It's not like it can't be done safely... but I was taught to not touch the flaps until after throttling up, retracting them in increments. If you do it that way, obviously it's important to start ASAP, and of course not forget to finally put them away (although it's not usually a great hazard to have too much flap down on takeoff and climbout). I really can't recall if the first flap change came before the nosewheel came up, or what... but it was definitely before taking off completely. Once on my own, I became more of a fan of full-stops, although I did go-arounds often enough. :D
I was put through T&Gs for the usual reason- to save time working on landings without a lot of taxiing- but also as aborts after touchdown (an unlikely necessity, but it could happen). I was encouraged to not dawdle on the runway in general... come to think of it, I don't think I ever did an actual "stop and go" during those training sessions (usually at KMMU or KCDW). The CFI who I did most of my T&Gs with liked to see me get going quickly, and that just became the normal way for me. I'd imagine the only real difference was that power came first, and the re-configuring happened on the roll and into the takeoff.

I agree, though, that this approach can tempt a student to rush, including advancing the throttle too quickly, or forgetting to turn off the carb heat, or resetting the trim. It makes sense to correlate the "go" part with a normal takeoff from a dead stop, and here's usually time- even if you must take off again rather than roll out- to take a breath and think about what you need to do. Much as I was encouraged to take off again quickly, I'd also get an earful if I didn't do everything in sequence, and smoothly.

Speaking of carb heat and T&Gs, anybody else learn (in a push/pull throttle and carb heat setup) to push the carb heat knob in with their thumb while advancing the throttle?

During training for the IR, how many times do you touch and gos?

the "missed" maybe, not quite the same.

Different strokes, I guess.:dunno: It's not like it can't be done safely... but I was taught to not touch the flaps until after throttling up, retracting them in increments. If you do it that way, obviously it's important to start ASAP, and of course not forget to finally put them away (although it's not usually a great hazard to have too much flap down on takeoff and climbout). I really can't recall if the first flap change came before the nosewheel came up, or what... but it was definitely before taking off completely. Once on my own, I became more of a fan of full-stops, although I did go-arounds often enough. :D
I was put through T&Gs for the usual reason- to save time working on landings without a lot of taxiing- but also as aborts after touchdown (an unlikely necessity, but it could happen). I was encouraged to not dawdle on the runway in general... come to think of it, I don't think I ever did an actual "stop and go" during those training sessions (usually at KMMU or KCDW). The CFI who I did most of my T&Gs with liked to see me get going quickly, and that just became the normal way for me. I'd imagine the only real difference was that power came first, and the re-configuring happened on the roll and into the takeoff.

I agree, though, that this approach can tempt a student to rush, including advancing the throttle too quickly, or forgetting to turn off the carb heat, or resetting the trim. It makes sense to correlate the "go" part with a normal takeoff from a dead stop, and here's usually time- even if you must take off again rather than roll out- to take a breath and think about what you need to do. Much as I was encouraged to take off again quickly, I'd also get an earful if I didn't do everything in sequence, and smoothly.

Speaking of carb heat and T&Gs, anybody else learn (in a push/pull throttle and carb heat setup) to push the carb heat knob in with their thumb while advancing the throttle?

My CFI's philosophy was - after the "touch", you have landed. The "go" is considered a takeoff, so transition to the "go" by setting takeoff flaps (since you may have burned up a good portion of the rwy during the "touch" you'd set your flaps for whatever the short-field position would be), then throttle up for the rest of the go. I guess the idea was to enforce the sequence to set takeoff configuration prior to takeoff so you do things in the same order you'd do for a normal takeoff. Of course, the trim should still be set somehwere in there, too.

I think I only did one stop and go during training, and that was at MCI on a 10k' rwy. It was going to be a touch and go, but tower needed me to stop for wake turbulence since a 737 had just taken off.

--

I didn't fly with the push/pull carb heat until well after my PP checkride, but I did learn that trick.

Touch an go saves -- what? 10 seconds?

Land, stop, reconfigure, takeoff.

If student is struggling with landings, land, taxi, talk, takeoff.

I was taught - a touch and go is a landing first, then a takeoff. So the flaps would be brought to a takeoff configuration before throttle up. A go-around is different - power first, then flaps.
Exactly. Touch and goes should not be confused with go-arounds.

And if one flap retracts to 20 degrees and the other one remains at either 30 or 40 degrees, how well do you think that airplane is going to fly when it breaks ground generating full power? The same applies to directional control issues. Make sure you are going straight down the runway before advancing the power to full.

On a go around it's power followed by flap and on a touch and go it's flaps followed by power. The way you are doing it is incorrect according to the POH and good airmanship.

If you don't have enough runway available to do a normal landing followed by a normal takeoff then you shouldn't be doing touch and goes on that runway.

I'll try and answer everyone's questions:
- I asked for the P model because I'm considering buying a share in a flying club that owns a P model. I figured I might as well get time in the same aircraft I'm looking at buying into. That's all. I didn't even know the condition of the planes when I asked to switch.
- Regarding the ipad app, he was running some sort of mapping app I believe. He told me on the ground something to the effect of, 'you're gonna mess around with a new plane and i'm gonna mess around with my new toy'. (Don't remember the exact quote.)
- As for why I'm starting my IR so soon after PPL, the answer is a bit complicated. My end goal is to get my commercial and fly for a living (too late to talk me out of it, I already quit my job to pursue this). The IR does two things for me: 1. Makes me a better and safer pilot, and 2. Gives me the option to spend some of my time building in rotorcraft training in case I decide to go that route instead of fixed wing.

The end result is I'm going back to the same guy at least once more. I don't want to judge him based on just one flight, and he told me he'll give me a rental signoff as long as everything goes well next flight. (Which I think was kind of a compliment?)

And you keep right on doing that. The minute you feel you need to rush a T&G, you should probably just turn off and stop; reset everything and line up clean.

No problem doing your IR right away. The FAA is even making noise about a combined PPIR rating in condensed training. That's probably a good thing, but you need a really well qualified cross trained pilot CFI-IA to do a good job. If you really want to go commercial, Buy a Beech 95 Travelair right now. You can operate it pretty cheap and sell ME ratings and multi time building when you get your MEI. My 310 has been good to me but she has no accumulators and I have treated her gently. As an MEI owner w/ 100hrs in the airframe, you'll be able to do 5 students at a time on your normal Business/Private insurance.

A couple of things that the OP might want to take into consideration about moving from a PA-28 to the 172:

Often times it is easier to go from a 172 to a PA-28 than it is to go from a PA-28 to a 172.

The 172 tends to be less stable than the PA-28.

Pilots transitioning to the 172 don't tend to use their feet on the rudder as well as pilots that have been gotten used to the 172.

The rudder panel is about twice the size on the 172 as it is on the PA-28. So your rudder input you are used to will be a little excessive at first. So you may tend to over control and fight yourself at first. You will figure it out pretty quickly after a couple of hours of practice.

The touch down pitch attitude in the 172 is a bit higher than in the PA-28 to prevent a nose wheel touchdown. Again, You will figure it out pretty quickly after a couple of hours of practice. If the CFI didn't bring this to your attention, then you probably have that one already figured out.

Read your POH cover to cover.

You said that you want to become a professional pilot. Learn to take criticism from instructor pilots without it getting you too worked up. If you can't manage that then this might not be the career for you. If you get into an airline, charter or corporate flying you will be taking a check ride every 6 months. So don't be so sensitive, some of the check rides are going to be rougher than others.

There are good and bad instructors as well as good and bad pilots. Some of each will be just plain idiots. Take the best from everyone you fly with and discard the bad.

Learn the 172 and PA-28 well. As if you end up becoming a flight instructor, more than likely you will be flying both these types.

Learn to take criticism from instructor pilots without it getting you too worked up. If you can't manage that then this might not be the career for you. If you get into an airline, charter or corporate flying you will be taking a check ride every 6 months. So don't be so sensitive, some of the check rides are going to be rougher than others.

Don't misunderstand me here, I'm all for objective feedback and I want to be told when I'm doing something wrong. I certainly don't want an instructor to just tell me everything is great and say nice things and never help me actually become a better or safer pilot. I really don't think that's what had me worked up yesterday.

I flew a couple times over Christmas down in Arizona, and the two instructors I met down there were amazing at presenting the bad things very candidly and clearly but without ever making it a negative process. One was great at giving short, accurate feedback during the flight. Her feedback was clear and concise, both positive and negative. I still specifically remember a lot of her telling me "good decision", "pitch down a bit" and so on. The other instructor actually sat down with me and we debriefed every single maneuver from the flight, in order, and critiqued each. It was the first time I ever realized how effective a proper debriefing really is, and I would love nothing more than to have that kind of quality instruction all the time.

And since it's come up a couple of times, I most certainly did read and study the POH before we went flying. Are there seriously people that don't do that?

Don't misunderstand me here, I'm all for objective feedback and I want to be told when I'm doing something wrong. I certainly don't want an instructor to just tell me everything is great and say nice things and never help me actually become a better or safer pilot. I really don't think that's what had me worked up yesterday.

I flew a couple times over Christmas down in Arizona, and the two instructors I met down there were amazing at presenting the bad things very candidly and clearly but without ever making it a negative process. One was great at giving short, accurate feedback during the flight. Her feedback was clear and concise, both positive and negative. I still specifically remember a lot of her telling me "good decision", "pitch down a bit" and so on. The other instructor actually sat down with me and we debriefed every single maneuver from the flight, in order, and critiqued each. It was the first time I ever realized how effective a proper debriefing really is, and I would love nothing more than to have that kind of quality instruction all the time.

And since it's come up a couple of times, I most certainly did read and study the POH before we went flying. Are there seriously people that don't do that?

Most don't. Good on you that you are taking this seriously. They just want to be told what they need to know. I don't get it. They are paying about $180 per lesson. If they just want to keep repeating the same lesson over and over, I guess that is their decision.

At least you know now how not to act when you become a flight instructor.

Bah.

If you're under foggles and he's heads down with the toy, who's looking for other aircraft?

Don't tell me "his iPad has TCAS" because if that's what you're relying on to "see and avoid" -- well, GA is far deeper in excrement than I ever imagined...

:mad:

The recent infantile preoccupation with pads suggests some toilet training issues...

I've "played" with my iPad while giving instruction before. What was the instructor doing on it? Sometimes I might be looking at something on a chart or I may be making a quick note of something that just happened that I want to discuss later.

I have played Angry Birds while in IMC before, mostly as a joke to show the pilot they didn't need me. But I wasn't charging the pilot, he had just passed his checkride, and he was on top of his game. There was nothing for me to do other than enjoy the ride.

I've "played" with my iPad while giving instruction before. What was the instructor doing on it? Sometimes I might be looking at something on a chart or I may be making a quick note of something that just happened that I want to discuss later.

I have played Angry Birds while in IMC before, mostly as a joke to show the pilot they didn't need me. But I wasn't charging the pilot, he had just passed his checkride, and he was on top of his game. There was nothing for me to do other than enjoy the ride.

The OP said the instructor was "playing" with his iPad. I assume he knew the instructor wasn't focused on him and his transition training. I'm sure you would know the difference between consulting a GPS and "playing."

What can he be doing the practically furthers this event? Checking location? During a local checkout?

Different strokes, I guess.:dunno: It's not like it can't be done safely... but I was taught to not touch the flaps until after throttling up, retracting them in increments. If you do it that way, obviously it's important to start ASAP, and of course not forget to finally put them away (although it's not usually a great hazard to have too much flap down on takeoff and climbout).

That will bite you in the ass the day they don't come up if they're electric.

I aborted a night T&G after lifting off with the flaps still stuck at 40 and the handle up.

Enough runway thankfully. And a confused call to the tower... Instead of saying I was aborting the takeoff I muttered something about "re-landing". Haha.

In Cessnas, I was taught...

- Retract flaps
- LOOK and confirm they're coming up.

And then...

Yes. My thumb sticks out like a hitchhiker instinctively in my 182. Power can't come up without carb heat going forward that way.

Which anyone on the ball will recognize that habit will eventually bite ME in the ass... if I ever get a chance to fly Pipers or Mooneys or Huskys ever again... someday. ;)

I had let the "LOOK" part fall out of my routine over time due to complacency, and it just about got me at night once.

That'll scare it right back into your routine... and garner you some good-natured ribbing from your old flight instructor the next time you chat.

"I taught you better than that!" ;)

No one can really say right or wrong what the instructor was really doing, but if you don't gel with the instructor, and you plan on using him for your IR, move on to someone else. I have seen times that just personality conflicts can result in negative training experiences. As an instructors I have had students move to other instructors, and I have gained from other instructors, and it has all been personality, not quality of instructing. Some guys want the overly enthusiastic guy and some want the laid back guy. It goes for students also, I have had students that I just didn't gel with soely on personality. Now if I have just sat there with a licensed pilot for a checkout and looked out the window, its usually because he's doing fine and I really don't have anything to say, I'm not gonna keeep telling him how great he is doing every 5 minutes. Some people want that, some don't.

Touch an go saves -- what? 10 seconds?

Land, stop, reconfigure, takeoff.

If student is struggling with landings, land, taxi, talk, takeoff.

Thank you!!!! I never (through several CFI's) did touch and go's, not once, not ever. Sure, I've "gone around" which is similar, and sure, I've done "stop and go's" but no TG. Usually a full taxi back to debrief the landing.

I'll try and answer everyone's questions:
- I asked for the P model because I'm considering buying a share in a flying club that owns a P model. I figured I might as well get time in the same aircraft I'm looking at buying into. That's all. I didn't even know the condition of the planes when I asked to switch.
- Regarding the ipad app, he was running some sort of mapping app I believe. He told me on the ground something to the effect of, 'you're gonna mess around with a new plane and i'm gonna mess around with my new toy'. (Don't remember the exact quote.)
- As for why I'm starting my IR so soon after PPL, the answer is a bit complicated. My end goal is to get my commercial and fly for a living (too late to talk me out of it, I already quit my job to pursue this). The IR does two things for me: 1. Makes me a better and safer pilot, and 2. Gives me the option to spend some of my time building in rotorcraft training in case I decide to go that route instead of fixed wing.

The end result is I'm going back to the same guy at least once more. I don't want to judge him based on just one flight, and he told me he'll give me a rental signoff as long as everything goes well next flight. (Which I think was kind of a compliment?)

Forgot to say, welcome to POA. I have more hours than 40-something, and it took me two flights in "new" planes at a "new" flight school to get checked out (I have about 120 hours but 90 at the checkride). I would have prefered only one flight, but that is because I've already flown a 152 and a 172. The new 172 is only different due to the GPS and 180hp conversion, but it is the same model year. The 150 is not a 152 at all and does indeed fly a bit different.

Thank you!!!! I never (through several CFI's) did touch and go's, not once, not ever. Sure, I've "gone around" which is similar, and sure, I've done "stop and go's" but no TG. Usually a full taxi back to debrief the landing.

WOW :hairraise::hairraise::hairraise::hairraise:..

You have over 40 hours and a PP certificate and you have NEVER done a touch and go.... That ma'am, is hard to believe.... Jus sayin.:lol:

Ben.

You have over 40 hours and a PP certificate and you have NEVER done a touch and go.... That ma'am, is hard to believe.... Jus sayin.:lol:

Ben.

Well wait a minute, that's not true. I did "cheat" on my CFI - pre-solo and at this other airport down south, to save money, the CFI there did ask me to do touch and go's but he helped clean up the plane.

Yep. Another reason is the same as why I was taught to taxi off the runway and stop before cleaning up the plane: You don't want to (a) mistakenly pull the gear lever or (b) lose control and go off the runway because you're distracted. As long as you always fly the same plane (or never fly retracts) you could probably ignore reason a. Going off the runway would be expensive at worst during a fast taxi with power to idle, but could get you killed if it happened while you're accelerating at full throttle down the runway.

You don't miss anything particularly useful by not doing them. If you have a big enough runway where you can calmly run out with the throttle closed while you reconfigure the plane, double check the trim add throttle and still have time to take off and be at 400' by the end of the runway; then beautiful. Rushing a student through them on <4500' ehhh, why? The risk reward just doesn't add up in my figuring. If you're not comfortable with them there's no reason to do them. Any incident caused by doing it will out weigh all savings from them by an order of magnitude.

Last edited:

Ben.

Nothing wrong with that. I've done a million of them, but there's something to be said for landing to a full stop and pausing to reflect.

[snip]

You said that you want to become a professional pilot. Learn to take criticism from instructor pilots without it getting you too worked up. If you can't manage that then this might not be the career for you. If you get into an airline, charter or corporate flying you will be taking a check ride every 6 months. So don't be so sensitive, some of the check rides are going to be rougher than others.

[snip]

A very good point for anyone planning to be a professional at anything!

You spend too much money to barely tolerate the results. It could be a one-off thing, bad day, mis communication, etc.

If you are worried whether it's him or you, just ask around. If the new CFI arrogant or rude a lot, others will know about it. Get a reccomendation for next choice.

I found that the CFI I worked well with as a student wasn't much fun to fly with socially. It's just the way it goes sometimes.

Ben.
I don't think I did any T&Gs either. Maybe some slow WAY down and then gos at a nearby airfield, but not touch and goes. Of course, as I mentioned earlier, my home 'drome is < 3400' and prohibits them! :D I do seem to recall one "landing" on my second solo where I just about touched down and decided to go around because I really didn't like the way it was turning out! Of course, my wife and instructor were sitting in a plane in the runup area 200' away watching as I did this!:yikes:

The other instructor actually sat down with me and we debriefed every single maneuver from the flight, in order, and critiqued each. It was the first time I ever realized how effective a proper debriefing really is, and I would love nothing more than to have that kind of quality instruction all the time.

First off...congrats and thanks for sharing your story. POA is a great place. Second...I have only have my PPL and I have flown with (count em...) nine different instructors (I train in both helos and fixed wing...). Really solid really quality instruction that has good feedback and that helps build a solid foundation for the student is incredibly difficult to find in aviation. I teach emergency medicine for a living and I was frankly appalled by some of the instruction I received, and very happy with two of my instructors. So if you have any doubt, my 2 cents, you should keep looking (if it works location and logistics wise...) to find someone really quality. Its your life and the life of your future passangers, esp if you want to go commercial.
Best of luck...lets us know how it goes.

I don't think I did any T&Gs either. Maybe some slow WAY down and then gos at a nearby airfield, but not touch and goes. Of course, as I mentioned earlier, my home 'drome is < 3400' and prohibits them! :D

3400'! That's a luxury... training at my local airport is done on a 1500' TODA grass strip and most landing practice consists of T&G's.

Back