First time flying with another IFR student this weekend...

Hobobiker

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Hobo
Was a little concerned/cautious because of not knowing the guy, wondering what kind of pilot he was, did he fly safe, etc. Both of us have just over 80 hours total. Turns out he's a lot like me, and we split a 2-hour flight with each of us taking a leg under the hood. Best thing about it was the safety pilot doing the "teaching" to the person under the hood which, to me, is one of the best ways to learn and have stuff sink in. Me telling him to vector to a heading, climb/descend to a heading, tune the radio to xxx.xx, ooops...watch your altitude, "might have to overcook this turn a little to intercept the radial", etc. were all just as helpful for ME in the learning process.

Anyway, just rambling about a successful IFR training flight and the cool feeling of having met and flown with another IFR student...

So you each get an hour of simulated instruments? Is there a list of things that should be worked outside of headings... things like constant rate and constant speed ascends, descends. Did you try an actual approach pattern or is that best left for when you're with a CFII?

So you each get an hour of simulated instruments? Is there a list of things that should be worked outside of headings... things like constant rate and constant speed ascends, descends. Did you try an actual approach pattern or is that best left for when you're with a CFII?

For the hour leg the left seat gets 1.0 hours PIC, 1.0 XC, and we used .9 for the Sim Instr time. Right seat COULD legally log the .9 time that the left seat was under the hood as PIC time, but could NOT log any XC time (and I really don't want to debate that subject in this thread - it's been done endlessly in others). Reverse the numbers for the leg back when we switched seats. We also worked on the constant speed maneuvers as you suggested and shot an approach at an untowered airport with the right seat acting as ATC.

Hope that helps...

Reminds me of the time a low hour friend asked me to go flying with him(I was also low hours) by saying "Hey, let's go flying and scare each other" :lol:

Also reminds me of the other time I went up with a newly minted PPL as my safety pilot. I peeked around my foggles and observed we were in the clouds. He thought it was okay for us to be IMC since I was IR :hairraise:

I stay away from very low time pilots myself if I have to rely on their skills or lack thereof. I could never be a CFI :lol:

Also reminds me of the other time I went up with a newly minted PPL as my safety pilot. I peeked around my foggles and observed we were in the clouds. He thought it was okay for us to be IMC since I was IR :hairraise:

Yikes! :hairraise:
I hope you took some time to explain to him the correct way of being a safety pilot so that he can do it right next time (not with you, understandably).

Is that when you took the picture for your Avatar?

For the hour leg the left seat gets 1.0 hours PIC, 1.0 XC, and we used .9 for the Sim Instr time. Right seat COULD legally log the .9 time that the left seat was under the hood as PIC time, but could NOT log any XC time (and I really don't want to debate that subject in this thread - it's been done endlessly in others). Reverse the numbers for the leg back when we switched seats. We also worked on the constant speed maneuvers as you suggested and shot an approach at an untowered airport with the right seat acting as ATC.

Hope that helps...

That makes sense. Don't want to open a can of worms on what the safety pilot logs, curious how you log it and that's consistent on how I would do it. Thanks!

How many of the things you two practiced had you both already been taught by your instructor?

…………..
Hey, no peekin' :nono:

How many of the things you two practiced had you both already been taught by your instructor?

All of 'em Ron, and probably a ton of things we forgot. As a bonus, we use the same instructor so we're even able to begin the conversation by saying "Now this is the point where Mark would say fly the approach with your finger, make direction changes in small increments, yada yada yada..."

I know where you're going though - we learn from him first and then practice afterwards (in real life or on the sim).

All of 'em Ron, and probably a ton of things we forgot. As a bonus, we use the same instructor so we're even able to begin the conversation by saying "Now this is the point where Mark would say fly the approach with your finger, make direction changes in small increments, yada yada yada..."

I know where you're going though - we learn from him first and then practice afterwards (in real life or on the sim).
Excellent. Used like that, this can really help improve training efficiency.

Flying with another student is better than flying with someone with no IFR training or rating, and it's fun too. BTW...liked the Cherokee stuff under your name...I had a 72 Cherokee with the Hershey Bar and loved it. I think I actually liked the overhead trim over the floor trim. My model was one of the last ones with the overhead. 1973 and up they were all on the floor.

It's always good to fly with a friend, flying under the hood,with someone who knows what to expect can be very helpful. Enjoy.

On the one hand, I wish I could find a situation like that for someone to fly with. On the other hand, I'm thinking that just flying all of the hours with an instructor will be better, especially since there's no one out here in the boonies to fly as safety pilot.

Someone on this forum in a similar conversation, said that flying with an instructor could prevent bad habits from working their way into your IFR repertoire.

Someone on this forum in a similar conversation, said that flying with an instructor could prevent bad habits from working their way into your IFR repertoire.
I think going on XCs with other pilots can be good. When I built XC time towards my IR I went with other pilots sometimes. However, I don't think it's a good idea to shoot practice approaches with another student. That's when bad habits form.

Back