First-Time Flyers and Your Advice

spiderweb

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Ben
Thanks, guys, for all of your help which = an excellent trip for me and my family. This was only the second time my wife has flown with me, and it was the first time for her Aunt and Uncle. Now, some background: they are from Taiwan where there is NO general aviation, at all. Well, I planned the crap out of this trip so that it would go as smoothly as possible.

We were wheels up from FDK to Luray Caverns at 10:30 in the noble C182S, in very smooth, clear weather. The air was so smooth and clean, they just were immediately put at ease. We got some vectoring, but after about 50 minutes, we were maneuvering in the traffic pattern at Luray. The funny part about this leg was that my landing was pretty firm, I thought, but it didn't bother them at all. Instead, what bothered them was the turning in the traffic pattern. They wanted to know why I didn't just land straight in. Indeed, I would have done, except that the controller kept me high for too long. My other options would have been to request the VOR approach (which would have brought me down earlier), or to perform a chop and drop--not good for first time passengers, I reckoned.

We had a few hours at Luray doing the Cavern tour and lunch, and just taking in the beautiful scenery. As far as the Cavern Tour goes, we all enjoyed it. I know nought about geology, but I really enjoyed the incredible natural "sculptures." Some in the tour were bored, though--mostly Dads dragging their kids along, I guess. The service at W45 was absolutely outstanding. Kudos to Kenneth Painter for helping us with everything, including the drive to the Caverns and back.

The trip back was fun. I tried to call FSS, but I was getting Altoona, which would mean a huge delay. Being that it was severe clear, I opted to takeoff VFR and call Center on the go. This worked out just fine, and I even got a "direct to" the Frederick Airport. That, coupled with a fine tailwind gave us an enroute time of only 38 minutes.

By now, though, the air had heated up and it was bumpy all the way to 5,000 feet. I requested 7, and got it. My wife's uncle was nervous, but he held out OK. Descending into Frederick was the same deal. I told them that I had to fly the pattern here. (I forgot about trying to limit my turns to 20 degrees, though.) My wife commented that she thought I was rolling into the turn too fast. LOL! Maybe I am, who knows?

All in all, they really enjoyed it, even if my wife's uncle was a bit nervous on the trip home. In any event, he seemed equally impressed with the fact that it only took 40 minutes to do what it would have taken a car three hours to do.

My wife is looking forward to flying with me again!

Ben,

Sounds like an excellent flight. I can't wait for "the first flight" with PAX. Sounds like you handled everything very professionally :yes:

*Applauses Ben*

Jason

wangmyers said:
Thanks, guys, for all of your help which = an excellent trip for me and my family. This was only the second time my wife has flown with me, and it was the first time for her Aunt and Uncle. Now, some background: they are from Taiwan where there is NO general aviation, at all. Well, I planned the crap out of this trip so that it would go as smoothly as possible.

We were wheels up from FDK to Luray Caverns at 10:30 in the noble C182S, in very smooth, clear weather. The air was so smooth and clean, they just were immediately put at ease. We got some vectoring, but after about 50 minutes, we were maneuvering in the traffic pattern at Luray. The funny part about this leg was that my landing was pretty firm, I thought, but it didn't bother them at all. Instead, what bothered them was the turning in the traffic pattern. They wanted to know why I didn't just land straight in. Indeed, I would have done, except that the controller kept me high for too long. My other options would have been to request the VOR approach (which would have brought me down earlier), or to perform a chop and drop--not good for first time passengers, I reckoned.

We had a few hours at Luray doing the Cavern tour and lunch, and just taking in the beautiful scenery. As far as the Cavern Tour goes, we all enjoyed it. I know nought about geology, but I really enjoyed the incredible natural "sculptures." Some in the tour were bored, though--mostly Dads dragging their kids along, I guess. The service at W45 was absolutely outstanding. Kudos to Kenneth Painter for helping us with everything, including the drive to the Caverns and back.

The trip back was fun. I tried to call FSS, but I was getting Altoona, which would mean a huge delay. Being that it was severe clear, I opted to takeoff VFR and call Center on the go. This worked out just fine, and I even got a "direct to" the Frederick Airport. That, coupled with a fine tailwind gave us an enroute time of only 38 minutes.

By now, though, the air had heated up and it was bumpy all the way to 5,000 feet. I requested 7, and got it. My wife's uncle was nervous, but he held out OK. Descending into Frederick was the same deal. I told them that I had to fly the pattern here. (I forgot about trying to limit my turns to 20 degrees, though.) My wife commented that she thought I was rolling into the turn too fast. LOL! Maybe I am, who knows?

All in all, they really enjoyed it, even if my wife's uncle was a bit nervous on the trip home. In any event, he seemed equally impressed with the fact that it only took 40 minutes to do what it would have taken a car three hours to do.

My wife is looking forward to flying with me again!

Nice post and nice flight Ben. Everything handled well. With the turns in the pattern, I learned early on with my wife and kids that I can't turn the normal 30 degrees or so. Had to be a 747 sized pattern in order for them to feel comfy. Oh well. Glad to hear there are some new passengers out there that appreciate airplanes.

Sounds like you had a good flight Ben!
That is awesome that you got to show them GA and what it is all about.
The first and only time I took my Mom up i made a 20 degree bank and she got scared(she is nervous flying) so it was really small banks the whole way around the pattern. Other people I have flown with though love steeper turns, I tell them they are pilots then and shoud get a license. Haha

Nice write up!

Aztec Driver said:
Nice post and nice flight Ben. Everything handled well. With the turns in the pattern, I learned early on with my wife and kids that I can't turn the normal 30 degrees or so. Had to be a 747 sized pattern in order for them to feel comfy. Oh well. Glad to hear there are some new passengers out there that appreciate airplanes.

Yes, it sure is. I'm just glad that they are willing to keep flying with me. Very funny that a firm landing won't bother them, but 30 degree turns will. Well, shoot--I can easily turn 20 degrees or less!

Rudy said:
Sounds like you had a good flight Ben!
That is awesome that you got to show them GA and what it is all about.
The first and only time I took my Mom up i made a 20 degree bank and she got scared(she is nervous flying) so it was really small banks the whole way around the pattern. Other people I have flown with though love steeper turns, I tell them they are pilots then and shoud get a license. Haha

Nice write up!

Yep, I forgot the part about shallower banks for first-timers. I tried to give my wifey a shot at the controls, but it was no joy this time. Next time, maybe. . . .

wangmyers said:
Yep, I forgot the part about shallower banks for first-timers. I tried to give my wifey a shot at the controls, but it was no joy this time. Next time, maybe. . . .

Mine is convinced that if she touches the yoke the plane will instantly flip upside down and we will all die in a huge fireball. But she is more than happy to get approach plates out and follow allong on charts. She also will fly with me anytime and prefers to be in IMC where she can't see how high we are, bless her!

Scott

wangmyers said:
Yes, it sure is. I'm just glad that they are willing to keep flying with me. Very funny that a firm landing won't bother them, but 30 degree turns will. Well, shoot--I can easily turn 20 degrees or less!

Ben,

That's not unusual.

My solution is to announce beforehand that a sharp turn is coming up. Then it is not unexpected. That helps the situation. Or simply make it half-standard rate.

wangmyers said:
The funny part about this leg was that my landing was pretty firm, I thought, but it didn't bother them at all.
Probably because they're used to the commercial guys planting them on good all the time.:D

If you want to make some impressive landings, start flying a Commander. I tell ya, my baby is making me look better and better in front of my passengers. :yes:

-Rich

smigaldi said:
Mine is convinced that if she touches the yoke the plane will instantly flip upside down and we will all die in a huge fireball. But she is more than happy to get approach plates out and follow allong on charts. She also will fly with me anytime and prefers to be in IMC where she can't see how high we are, bless her!

Scott

Scott: Try explaining to your wife that the fire ball isn't really that big!:rolleyes:

Ben: Sounds like a great trip glad you enjoyed. I too always plan the crap out of a flight with my family or first timers.

Last edited:
Everything in good time, Ben. Let her follow along on the charts, listen to the radios, etc.; when she's comfortable with the notion of handling the controls she'll let you know.

I like a 182 for passengers; it's so comfy and roomy. I've had people get anxious on turns, so in addition to keeping them shallow, I'll say something like, "We're going to turn here, and the wing will come up a bit on your side" (or whatever).

Kudos for taking up three newbies at once!

555Juliet said:
I like a 182 for passengers; it's so comfy and roomy. I've had people get anxious on turns, so in addition to keeping them shallow, I'll say something like, "We're going to turn here, and the wing will come up a bit on your side" (or whatever).
And then there are passengers like my friend Steve. On his first ride, he kept asking for more and more extreme flying. Good thing we'd put on the chutes before leaving the ground! I did so much acro I just about made myself sick, but he was grinning from ear to ear.

Bottom line: Listen to the pax.

This last trip out to pick up my daughter from SoCal, Her friend flew almost the entire trip. My daughter wont have anything to do with the controlls. Everyone is different.

I hope mine will be, too!
smigaldi said:
She also will fly with me anytime and prefers to be in IMC where she can't see how high we are, bless her!

Scott

wsuffa said:
Ben,

That's not unusual.

My solution is to announce beforehand that a sharp turn is coming up. Then it is not unexpected. That helps the situation. Or simply make it half-standard rate.

Wow--that might just work.

LOL-- think Bruce had it right--I need to get my multi and start flying the Seneca!

rpadula said:
Probably because they're used to the commercial guys planting them on good all the time.:D

If you want to make some impressive landings, start flying a Commander. I tell ya, my baby is making me look better and better in front of my passengers. :yes:

-Rich

AdamZ said:
Scott: Try explaining to your wife that the fire balls isn't really that big!:rolleyes:

Ben: Sounds like a great trip glad you enjoyed. I too always plan the crap out of a flight with my family or first timers.

It really pays off.

Oh yeah, I was worried about all of those newbies! I bought 6 sic sacs (but didn't tell them about the sacs). I love the C182, but I really hope my CFI will be getting that C206. My wife's family is big!

Oooh, or maybe my wife should get her license too!

555Juliet said:
Everything in good time, Ben. Let her follow along on the charts, listen to the radios, etc.; when she's comfortable with the notion of handling the controls she'll let you know.

Kudos for taking up three newbies at once!

Ben;

I am very glad it worked out for you. The best part is that your wife wants to fly more with you.

John

smigaldi said:

Scott

Yours, too? No IMC (I don't have the rating), but she follows along on the sectional with her finger where she thinks we are. GPS couldn't do better. She touched the controls once shortly after I got my PP cert. Scared herself in seconds. I'm still trying to figure out what she did, she hadn't deviated from straight and level. :D

John J said:
Ben;

I am very glad it worked out for you. The best part is that your wife wants to fly more with you.

John
Wow, don't I know it!

Back