First time at a grass strip

Xscaliber

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Big Al
Guys I have a question, I want to plan a trip to a hotel that has its own grass strip, I've been there before by car and the strip is in really good order, grass is kept cut low, it's a hard field and used daily.
However during my flight training although we practiced soft field take off and landings we never actually did any on a grass strip. So in 120hrs of flying I've not yet landed on grass, do I employ the services of a CFI and go do some grass strip work first or am I being too cautious ?

If you feel you need a CFI for your first time, then go for it. However, grass does not automatically equal soft field. You'll have a slightly shorter landing roll and slightly longer takeoff roll. a well taken care of grass field is a slice of heaven.

Guys I have a question, I want to plan a trip to a hotel that has its own grass strip, I've been there before by car and the strip is in really good order, grass is kept cut low, it's a hard field and used daily.
However during my flight training although we practiced soft field take off and landings we never actually did any on a grass strip. So in 120hrs of flying I've not yet landed on grass, do I employ the services of a CFI and go do some grass strip work first or am I being too cautious ?

You may certainly err on the side of caution and do it with a CFI. Nothing wrong with that.

Having said that, unless there has been a lot of rain recently, a grass strip is not necessarily a "soft" field.

A phone call to the airport will get you a condition report. If it is truly soft, it might be a good idea to wait until it dries out.

Grass strips are awesome. For sure make sure it's not wet. Got my 150 stuck in the mud last year coming off the strip and hitting mud on the side.

If you choose to use the services of a CFI ,make sure they have some time landing on the grass.

You may certainly err on the side of caution and do it with a CFI. Nothing wrong with that.

Having said that, unless there has been a lot of rain recently, a grass strip is not necessarily a "soft" field.

A phone call to the airport will get you a condition report. If it is truly soft, it might be a good idea to wait until it dries out.

:yes:

I landed on one a few weeks ago, and it was loud compared to asphalt.

I just did my first grass landing this past weekend, so I know how you feel. I have about 100 hours. It's really not that different, you just slow down faster and accelerate slower. My landing was on dry grass on a firm surface, so add moisture and it might be a lot different. Just hold your nose wheel off if you are a trike and taxi with full back stick/yoke to keep some weight off of it.

If you can, bring a friend or CFI familiar with the strip you are going to; having somebody to talk you through it helps a lot. Good luck, I bet you have a lot of fun with it.

I was where you're at last year before we went to Gaston's. I took a CFI with me to a grass field not far from here to get a feel for it. The grass where we went was pretty deep, and it was definitely "soft" after some recent rain. I felt it was really good training. Once we got to our destination, the ground was hard and the grass was short -- no problem at all. So, I'd say go for a little ride with a CFI just so when you get where you're going "for real" you can concentrate on flying the airplane, not worrying about the grass.

While I don't think you 'need' CFI time, it's more the unfamiliarity with the landing situation. This is something that's always a problem, possibly more-so than the actual surface of the strip you are landing at. Unfamiliarity can be troublesome on its own.

I would get a few shots with a CFI on a grass strip including an unplanned go-around so you know what it feels like to get out, if you don't like what you get into.

There's nothing really tough about landing on grass. The thing you need to be aware of is that a grass strip is somewhat dynamic, much more so than a paved runway which is in a fairly steady state. Sod runways change when it rains, gophers dig holes in them, that sort of stuff.

If it make you more comfortable get a CFI. Just make sure the CFI has landed on grass before:D

If it make you more comfortable get a CFI. Just make sure the CFI has landed on grass before:D
Yeah, that too. I have worked with a couple who have never landed on anything other than paved.

Just do it, license to learn and all that. Call if it might be wet/muddy. It is time to become the teacher and the student.

I was sent to an older CFI for evaluation a couple months back, he asked me if I'd done soft field and short field work and I told him we'd done simulated back at my home airport. This raised an eyebrow. "Simulated?"

So, pretty soon we were on our way to a nearby grass strip. I was a little nervous but I had an experienced CFI with me and the ground was frozen everywhere that day so no worry about mud. It turned out to not be much different than landing on a paved runway, just follow the procedures for soft field and it's nothing. YMMV, as I said the ground was frozen that day. Really cool to actually do it though- not simulate it and know it's possible but to actually do it.

I've been on grass quite a bit, but I can't remember a time when it was truly soft - maybe when it hadn't been mowed for a while. The airport also has a paved rwy that everyone uses when the grass might be wet, it saves the grass rwy from getting rutted and keeps mud off the airplane.

Just give it a try, it'll feel different.

If it's dry, just go, and land like you would on asphalt. Don't over think it, just do it.

I was solo when I landed at my first grass strip. However, that doesn't mean I was oblivious or uneducated.

I had an idea of what to expect.
I overflew the runway the first pass to see the general condition and find a spot without large holes.
I flew a by-the-book technique.
Everything went well.

Do what you feel needs to be done - fly with a CFI if you want to.

It will make you feel a lot more comfortable if you have a little practice , before doing it in front of audience . Have fun .

If it's dry, just go, and land like you would on asphalt.

I would counsel against this. Dry <> smooth.

Nose gears(and props/engines) have been lost this way. Soft field ops are conducted for a purpose.

Chalet Suzanne (X25) Central Florida

Should be no problem for typical GA plane; but check you PoH performance charts and take into account the effect when taking off on grass. Can't hurt to practice your short field takeoffs. If you aren't off the runway by 70% down it (make a note where that would be) then abort the takeoff.

Also be mindful of speed control during landing (I do this by insuring I've trimmed to desired speed and then I avoid pushing or pulling on the yoke while on final - just pressures on aileron, rudder, and throttle.)

If you search Youtube for keywords "Chalet Suzanne X25" you'll find some postings of landings and takeoffs so you can get an idea of what to expect; e.g.:

Nose gears(and props/engines) have been lost this way. Soft field ops are conducted for a purpose.

The typical rental agreements that I've seen either say "paved rwy only", or restrict you to certain grass rwys that the FBO knows are well maintained. I have seen some that have the only limit as "must be public use".

Yeah, the grass strip will not be as smooth as paved, so I do think it's a good idea to keep the weight off the nose as much as possible. The grass strips I use are very well maintained, but they still get ruts and high and low spots. Summer drought causes cracks and other heaves, too.

Be careful if the grass rwy intersects a paved area, sometimes there is enough of a dip to cause problems.

The first time I landed on grass I had my CFI with me during my PP training.

I'd just go and do it for a couple reasons. First, it really isn't that big a deal. Second, you should get used to getting out of your comfort zone a bit without a CFI to serve as a security blanket. You'll have to sooner or later, better to do it sooner when doing a relatively benign exercise.

Kool little airport... Went here often, way back 30 years ago.... Wonderful food.... Hope they still have the "Baked Grapefruit" It was outstanding..
We visited there last year drove in but promised myself next time would be fly in, nothing much has changed there, like stepping back in time, same family owned and run since the 1930s fantastic restaurant, and all the rooms are individually decorated.

I believe a skydiving operation works out of there 7 days a week, so I think that's maybe one of the reasons why the grass strip is kept in good order.

Still undecided about whether to just get a update on the ground conditions on the day we plan to do the trip and just go for it, or go someplace with a CFI first. I'll sleep on it, but thanks guys I really appreciate the input.

Still undecided about whether to just get a update on the ground conditions on the day we plan to do the trip and just go for it, or go someplace with a CFI first. I'll sleep on it, but thanks guys I really appreciate the input.

It sounds like you are nervous enough - take a CFI for a couple trips around whatever grass strip is closest to you, then go. Every landing is different - and that's true even at paved runways.

My first grass land was during my check ride, I had never landed on grass before. It was no big deal so I am sure it won't be for you either.

Report back when you do it, being also in your same position (every place I rent from doesn't allow non-paved landings) I'm curious how your experience turns out.

A good grass strip is better than great paved strip, but a bad grass strip can be a nightmare. Call ahead to make sure the strip is well drained and doesn't have any significant differences in firmness from area to area. If it is a commercial operation, the drainage is likely to be consistent without differential soft spots. The grass strip that I'm based at has been closed a lot this winter because of significant soft spots that were caused by all of the weird freeze/thaw cycles we've had and uneven drainage. You shouldn't have the freeze/thaw problem in Florida. If the strip isn't soft and short and if it is uniformly well drained you shouldn't have any problems. It will cause less wear and tear on your ties. Don't brake hard and don't try turning tight circles (unless you are flying a tail dragger) and you'll be fine.

Last edited:
Never been there but I hear the soups are to die for. Their soup has gone up in the space shuttle for the crew.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

That's true, they make and can their soups on site, and yes they are the best you will taste anywhere in the world....or "outside" of it according to the space shuttle crew....:D

OP wrote: "I've been there before by car and the strip is in really good order, grass is kept cut low, it's a hard field and used daily."

Seems he might be over thinking this one to me… But agree he should keep pressure off the nose wheel to the extent possible. I'm speaking as someone who had problems with landing well for a long time after getting my license, but grass was simply not an issue when the runway was smooth and dry as he describes.

Last edited:
OP wrote: "I've been there before by car and the strip is in really good order, grass is kept cut low, it's a hard field and used daily."

Seems he might be over thinking this one to me… But agree he should keep pressure off the nose wheel to the extent possible. I'm speaking as someone who had problems with landing well for a long time after getting my license, but grass was simply not an issue when the runway was smooth and dry as he describes.

What season are we entering?

Err on the side of caution, but I guess flying a skywagon these past years has made this thread foreign to me.

I seek out grass over pavement, so I'm a weirdo when it comes to aviation.

Once you get a taste of grass and your ass dragging the ground, you don't go back. No gas, no grass, no ass? NO FREE RIDE! ;):D

Back