First solo!

NHPilot

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
KASH
I had a pretty cool day yesterday and totally wasn't expecting it. I actually thought I might need a few more hours to work out issues with my unpredictable landings, but after my flight, (pattern work with 13 landings), my instructor said "OK I'll see you back here in 1 hour for your solo." Needless to say, I was both excited and a little nervous. Even though the landings weren't always pretty, I guess he felt they were safe enough. I had 8 hours total time prior to my solo.

I left the airport and drove around for a while to kill some time. Got back and did a go-around and 2 more landings with my instructor. Came back to the ramp and he jumped out. I asked for any last minute advice and his response was "just have fun."

All the preflight checks, taxi and run-up were fine. Winds were favorable at 6kts gusting to 14 right down the runway. Made the call to the tower for 32 expecting the normal right traffic pattern, report midfield. Of course during my first solo, I receive the "left turn for first pattern" which was new to me. This turned out to be no big deal actually. One thing I've learned at our airport is to expect anything in the pattern, especially on a busy day like yesterday.

Pattern work was fine, first 2 landings were not ideal but the third full stop was my best so far. It was an incredible feeling to be in the plane by myself.
I think I was more focused and a little more relaxed then with him next to me.

This is a great forum and I've learned a lot from it. Thanks guys.

Congrats.!

Bad news, nothing will ever be as exciting. Good news, nothing will ever be as terrifying. :)

congrats,the first solo is an experience you will never forget.

Thanks everyone! I'm kind of glad he just sprung it on me so I didn't have too much time to think about it before hand.

Very much looking forward to the next phases of training. It's also going to be exciting to be able to go the airport and take the plane up by myself now.

WOW sick I still smile reading other peoples first solo stories because i know mine was so awesome as well! Congrats!

Just a little nervous ?
Good job .

OK, maybe a more than just a little. It's funny though that once I was in the air I settled down and really enjoyed the experience.

Thanks!

Climbs a lot better with out your cfi too doesnt it?

First of all, congratulations. Like everyone says, it is a milestone in your flight training that you will always remember.

This is the first time I've heard a CFI telling you in advance that you will solo that day, then giving an hour break before it happens. Most stories go something like, "My CFI said, 'pull over here, and let me endorse that student pilot certificate.' Then he jumped out and said 'Give me three take-offs and landings.'" But, now that I think about it, it might be a really good idea to give you a break before the solo.

Do you think the hour between your pattern work dual and your solo flights was helpful? Did it make you MORE nervous? Or did it give you time to RELAX and collect your thoughts?

First of all, congratulations. Like everyone says, it is a milestone in your flight training that you will always remember.

This is the first time I've heard a CFI telling you in advance that you will solo that day, then giving an hour break before it happens. Most stories go something like, "My CFI said, 'pull over here, and let me endorse that student pilot certificate.' Then he jumped out and said 'Give me three take-offs and landings.'" But, now that I think about it, it might be a really good idea to give you a break before the solo.

Do you think the hour between your pattern work dual and your solo flights was helpful? Did it make you MORE nervous? Or did it give you time to RELAX and collect your thoughts?

That's how I thought it might play out also, but he hour break was because we ran out of time for that lesson. While were were flying, I didn't know it but he booked the plane for another 2 hours, but he had to go run an errand before the next flight. The break didn't bother me but I just had to keep my head in the game during that time.

Congrats!! You will be smiling for a long time!

Congratulations you are now one of a handful of people that can fly a plane :)

Back