First Solo

DrewG

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
DrewG
Well - it finally happened on Saturday, after 12 hours of training in just under two months' time.

It was a perfect, sunny Saturday afternoon, with winds variable, at about 5-10 kts. After about 0.8 hours of dual and 5 T&G's, I got the anticipated "Let's make this a full stop and just pull off the runway" statement.

I was instructed to make the standard 3 circuits around the pattern and it went well, for the most part. Aside from one of my landings being horrible and some long-winded pilots on the shared CTAF at another airport making it difficult for me to get my traffic calls in, I was darn happy.

My first landing was firm, but decent - if a bit off centerline. The second one was hardly worth mentioning. It was pretty much off from the flubbed traffic call on final (called "left base - I mean, left final..." :rolleyes2:) and the subsequent "landing" was rough. There was a bounce that was just enough to where I thought it would be best to just apply power and give it another go. I might have been able to salvage it - but I don't think I made a bad decision at all. The third landing was my best, but between the nosewheel shimmy and a little speed, I missed my first turnoff. Other than that - the taxi back to the ramp and subsequent parking job were probably my best yet!

So - I've had much better landings, but I was more than satisfied overall with my first 0.4 hour of PIC time. To top it off, my entire family came out and surprised me, and my girlfriend's sister even donated her professional photography skills to capture the day for me in a great fashion. Definitely a day I won't soon forget!

Should anyone be bored and/or need a good laugh, I managed to throw together a hastily-edited video I put up on YouTube that runs just over 10 minutes. I also figured I'd share the gallery of some pics taken by my girlfriend's sister. I'd highly recommend her work!

Congratulations.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

A day you will long remember! And it will take a while to wipe that silly grin off your face. Just think, you have done something that only a very small percentage of people have done. You have taken an airplane into flight and returned safely to earth. Congratulations, pilot!

Very nicely done. You seem to have a good handle on what went wrong with the landings and I applaud your decision to add power as soon as you felt the second bounce. I'd say all you need is some more hours, you're doing great.

Excellent pictures by the way.

lol, 6:05 "hehehe, oh man!". I know that well, it's the "holy @#$% I'm flying a plane BY MYSELF" laugh. nice job!

Congrats,can still remember my first solo many,many years ago

Congrats from another newly soloed pilot, the pictures are great. I have one question, is your girlfriend already a pilot, or did you buy her a airplane necklace for Christmas? Now the real fun begins!

Congrats from another newly soloed pilot, the pictures are great. I have one question, is your girlfriend already a pilot, or did you buy her a airplane necklace for Christmas? Now the real fun begins!

Thanks! That was a pendant she saw at a Tiffany's we visited last year and pointed out that she loved because it reminded her of me. So...yes, it was actually a birthday gift I ended up getting her!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Very good. You will remember that day forever.

I still remember my first solo like it was yesterday, even though it was in 1963, from an 1800 foot gravel runway in an Aeronca Champ.

Onward and upward you go. You have a lot of firsts to come. First solo cross country, first check ride, first passenger. Enjoy.

Congratulations! You'll never forget it. My first solo was 24 years ago. I remember it like it was yesterday.

Back