First solo!

Mtns2Skies

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Mtns2Skies
So after 2.5 years and 93 hours of flight training I finally turned 16 on Jan 23rd. Too windy to fly, but today I finally soloed. CFI had me do 15 touch and goes (Because of excess traffic and fog) and finally once it quieted down he told me to call full stop.

I taxiied over to the terminal where my parents were waiting with my handheld listening in and dropped him off. I followed the checklist in the startup and got gradually more nervous as I called for taxi and taxied over to the run-up area. Absentmindedly I watched a V-tailed bo takeoff as I was taxiing. Another guy I knew at the flight school was in the run-up area for his commercial multi checkride, I wanted to wish him good luck but wasn't too certain if the tower would have been fond of that so I held my tongue.

A jet departed before me and I went up to the hold short line nervous as ever waiting for wake turbulence to clear and then a cessna to land. As soon as I lined up on the runway most of the nervousness cleared, I KNOW how to do this, and do it well. When I input the power the plane lurched forward being so much lighter. The 172N with 180hp climbed like a homesick angel and was at pattern altitude before the end of the runway.

Made my way around the pattern followed a Katana in for the touch and go and made a greaser my first solo landing :ihih:, being so light without my CFI it was a bit easier to do what I wanted. Next time around the pattern the landing wasn't as good, I ballooned up a bit but it was still fairly respectable. This time around the pattern there was a helicopter near where my downwind would be so I extended my upwind to give it room but it quickly descended out of my way once I turned downwind. Last landing was a decent one, I exited the runway and taxied back to tie-down.

An excellent day, one I've been waiting for for a loooong time.

Way to go Austin!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:thumbsup: :goofy: :crazy: :cheerswine:: :rollercoaster::

:needpics:

Yeah, Austin... where's the photo of you with the backless shirt??!! The height of fashion for every newly soloed pilot! But, congratulations all the same... I knew it was going to be either today or tomorrow. :)

Congrats Austin!!! We've been eagerly waiting with you for the moment! Welcome to the ranks!!

Awesome job, and if I may say, judging by your ability to write that post, you have a bright future ahead of you in whatever you decide to do. I can honestly say I don't know many sixteen year olds with the fortitude to do what you've done, nor the ability and maturity to articulate it the way you just did.

Your parents must be beaming, all the time. Not just today.

The "This is really cool" feeling never quite goes away.

This weekend, I flew a "new to me" Piper Warrior solo for the first time (I got my license this past Thanksgiving).

It's a major nod to my transition instructor that everything felt very normal, until I was at 2500ft and climbing out of the airport area when I said to myself, "Holy Bananas! I'm alone! COOOOOLLLLL!!!!!!!" and proceeded to enjoy the rest of the days flying to the ult.

Congrats on the solo. Keep up the work and you'll have your license pretty quick!

169048_1801372362403_1482640792_31955772_4529378_n.jpg

There should be more in the future.

I've flown that plane too !!!

I've flown it out of Western. In fact I got my private there with John Bowman as my instructor. I did my practical in 733XB (which doesn't look to be at Western anymore). Who is your instructor?

91E was to replace 64055 (a 180hp 172) that was destroyed at BJC. I flew that plane also. It is kind of weird to see a plane that you flew in a NTSB report...

Have you flown the 150/150? It is quite a fun plane. I did my Mountain Flying checkout in it.

Last edited:
I've flown it out of Western. In fact I got my private there with John Bowman as my instructor. I did my practical in 733XB (which doesn't look to be at Western anymore). Who is your instructor?

91E was to replace 64055 (a 180hp 172) that was destroyed at BJC. I flew that plane also. It is kind of weird to see a plane that you flew in a NTSB report...

Have you flown the 150/150? It is quite a fun plane. I did my Mountain Flying checkout in it.

Nevin Hildenbrand is my CFI he's fairly new there, used to teach at Journey's next door for a hwile though. I've also flown with Tony Morrino. Im about to fly the 150/150 next week actually, I did most of my training before CO in a 152 so I should be comfortable in it and its cheaper

Congrats Austin! I instantly recognized the Denver skyline in the background of the first photo, and the Flatirons in the background of the second one look great, too.

If you ever want to go up for a flight in the Skylane, holler. And we'll try to remember to give you a shoutout on episode 31 of the Mile High Flyers podcast, too.

We just recorded Episode 30 today, and I hadn't read this news yet, or I would have done it today! Oops.

Great job. Keep learning!

Congratulations, Austin! It's been a long time coming, but well-earned.

The feeling of it being really cool doesn't go away. You've got plenty of first solos yet to come. Not just the first solo XCs and such for your private, but first solos in new airplanes. Those feel just as cool. The first time I flew the Aztec solo was an incredibly cool feeling, I was smiling for quite a while. Same for the first solo in the 310.

One of the great things about aviation is that there are no shortage of things that are first times and milestones. This is your first solo, but it's not your last. :)

Dude! I'm happy to hear it man. Can't wait to start hearing about solo cross countries and the eventual checkride!

I know DA worries today! Nice job. Congrats. Where you training? Around Denver?

EXCELLENT !! Congratulations.......... what a great thing to do for a 16th birthday!

Back