First Solo...

Did your solo instructor just jump out of the plane or give advanced warning?

• Total voters

bjohnson

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Mooney Driver
I was thinking back to when I soloed for the first time. Did your instructor jump out of the plane spontaneously or let you know prior to the training flight that you were going to solo that day? After a full stop landing my instructor announced thru the intercom that I was ready and just jump out of the plane. The cockpit got real quiet and I was definitely nervous :eek: but boy did if feel good after that first solo!!:yes:

Re: Fist Solo...

My 1st solo my CFI told me I was going to solo. So he made me call my brother to see if he wanted to video tape it. I called my brother....he and a few of his buddies showed up and he taped my solo. I love his commentary. :) Only a brother would do that for his sister. Hah hah hah.

Well Brent on the first try he just jumped out, only got 2 T&Ls in (so not official) Then on second he told me ahead of time we where going to do it.Both times were exciting.
Dave G

My instructor hoped into another plane with a different student and said, "Have fun, I'll be listening". I did my 3 landings and another one just because i could, then thought i better not push my luck while i was still alive. put the airplane away and didnt see my CFI untill the next day.

My first solo happened after a series of touch and goes. I did the first 2, and he asked to see my logbook, said something along the lines of "I want to make sure that you haven't been changing my entries."

When on downwind, he started writing in the book. "Keep down the bumps, will ya, I'm trying to fill in a column we missed!"

Landed, he said "Alright, that's enough, make this full stop."

We got to the taxiway, and he said "Well, the plane is gonna fly much better now. Do 3 T&Gs, I'll be right here."

Amazing. He just got out on the taxiway and watched.

BTW - your title had me a bit scared about NWS images here...lol.

He told me I would solo that day, and after a few times in the pattern, he said make full stop, we pulled up, he hopped out and got on a tug to drive out and videotape the solo. After finishing, he pulled up in the tug and honked like crazy. heh.

SkyHog said:
BTW - your title had me a bit scared about NWS images here...lol.
Didn't quite get the r in the title. Don't know how to fix it:dunno:

Both ASEL and RH were unannounced, but my helicopter instructor made it clear that it was coming sometime soon by saying things like:

"When you're by yourself, the CG is really going to move aft" and
"Remember, when you start to pull pitch, the helicopter is going to get light on the skids earlier than you expect, and you won't need much left pedal."

And sure enough, a couple of lessons later, when there was pretty calm air, he had me set down by the FBO and then he hopped out. When I raised collective I was surprised at how skittish the helicopter was and it seemed like it took a lifetime to get it to a stable hover (it was probably just a few seconds). When that happened, he walked into the FBO building, and I took a few trips around the patch...

Jumped out with no warning.

On my second T & G ran into 15 knot windshear on final - in a 152 15 knots is significant. I was terrified as I hadn't learned about windshear at that point and had no idea what has happening. Put it on the ground and called it quits for the day. As we were recapping we heard the tower warning other planes.

Took me a long time to overcome my fear of turbulence!

My first solo was postponed, several times, because of crosswinds. My airport -IWI -was, several years ago, voted by AOPA(Alton Marsh) the world's third worst crosswind airport. (Somewhere in Hawaiian Islands was first)

One early morning my CFI -- USN P-3 pilot who had recently transferred to land duty from aircraft carrier duty -- got out and said, I want to see 3 takeoffs and a maximum of 3 landings." He required a full run-up to be done each time before taking the active.

Round #1 was fine; he was pumping a thumbs-up when I taxied past him(and the FAA Examiner who just happened to be there, and who had in an unofficial capacity flown right seat for me several days before). Round #2 was a repeat of above. Round #3 became a quick learning experience.

While I was doing the run-up off #25, and about done, a Cub radioed, Cub XYZ 5 miles out, landing 2-5 Wiscasset." No sweat, plenty of time; so I took #25, checked B(eacon), L(ights), and T(ransponder), and was rolling.
When I was directly over #7(3400' runway), off to my right was the Cub on his crosswind. What the ----? That was one quick 5 miles.

"Wiscasset traffic, departing Skyhawk has crosswind Cub in sight, I'll extend a low-level climb-out, which I did and he crossed over my path.
When I came into Downwind he was just turning Base and I offered, Wiscasset Cub on Base, Downwind Skyhawk will extend Downwind," and he came back with, "Naw, that's alright; I'll land in the grass."

When I taxied in, my CFI was pumping another thumbs-up, ran over to my plane and yelled, He cut you off! That I knew, but quickly learned -- first hand -- to see and avoid.

HR

Last edited:

My instructor warned me ahead of time to wear a shirt that I didn't mind trashing.

The back of that shirt is now a momento from that special day.

My instructor didn't even show up -- he was called away and I flew with another instructor that day.

He jumped out - after getting on the radio and telling everyone that I was going to solo - so that I couldn't even chicken out! :eek:

Mine jumped out.. I remember my body temperature and heart rate soaring in an instant.

I never saw it coming. We did a few T&G's mixed with fullstops. I felt a draft, he teleported out, said "go once around yourself, I'll be in the grass along here somewhere", SLAM, all alone, a casual wave from the wingtip as he walked away. This was back when there was no presolo anything so I had no hints at all that it was coming.

With the pre-solo written test and all the stuff we did that day (bird strike, more T&Gs, etc) it wasn't a surprise when he got out. What was really cool was having the local warbird museum's Corsair cleared to taxi behind me. And then watching him take off before my second T&G.

I soloed the first time I flew with a new instructor. Had taken a 2 month layoff from flying, and restarted. After flying for an hour, my new instructor says "Ok, you can go solo" and off I went.

You just don't forget that day.

LOL. I was supposed to solo that morning. I ended up locking the keys in my truck with the log book. Airprt security opened the truck but I had to go to work. I came back that afternoon. Did the pre-flight and taxied out in the Tomahawk. My knees began to shake and hit each other. Run up was good. Called tower and received my clearance to take off. I kept thinking that I could turn around and go back to the ramp after all I had flown and could quit without soloing. But I did not. I taxied onto the run way and added power with my knees knocking very ferociously. After rotating and starting to climb I thought this is it one way or the other, I have to do it now, no way out of it. My knees stopped shaking and I had the most fun doing those 3 T&Gs ever. Sweet flight! Sigh.

I knew I was close to ready. We'd been doing LOTS of pattern work. One day seemed like it would be it, but I made some errors and after numerous t & gs, we called it a day. Had to bite my lip to...uh...keep the disappointment from rolling down my cheeks. :) I worked hard to conceal emotion from my instructor...I didn't want him to sign me off for something I wasn't ready for.

A week later (I went on vacation the next day) after 11 dual t & gs, he asked if I was up to going alone, and I said something like, "Yes, if you're sure I'm ready." Inside I was screaming, "GET OUT!" He hopped out.

Looking back, I still don't know if I was truly ready or not, but it was great.

Soloed August 2003

bjohnson said:
Did your instructor jump out of the plane spontaneously or let you know prior to the training flight that you were going to solo that day? :yes:

Jason gave me warning because he knew how long and hard I had worked to get to that point -- over 200 hours and more than a dozen instructors. The story of my first solo is here: http://auntpeggy.home.att.net/soloday.html

- Aunt Peggy

bjohnson said:
I was thinking back to when I soloed for the first time. Did your instructor jump out of the plane spontaneously or let you know prior to the training flight that you were going to solo that day? After a full stop landing my instructor announced thru the intercom that I was ready and just jump out of the plane. The cockpit got real quiet and I was definitely nervous :eek: but boy did if feel good after that first solo!!:yes:

Damn, there goes the neighborhood.

Thanks Jerk Face!!:goofy:

(For those of you who don't know, Bill has been a PoA member for quote some time and I just joined:yes: , we had the same CFII)

Last edited:
bjohnson said:
Thanks Jerk Face!!:goofy:

(Those of you who don't know Bill has been a PoA member for quote some time and I just joined:yes: , we had the same CFII)

And, Brent is the guy I'm partnering with on the Mooney. Glad he finally got here.

Mine was postponed for close to 2 weeks due to weather.
My CFI called me up and said the clouds are at 2,000 get down here so you can solo.

We did 3 T&G's together, taxied back, she got out and said go do 3 and come back.
Still remember it like it was yesterday.

Mark B.

We did some air work as usual then after landing he says to pull up short so he can get out. Still had no clue, he jumps out and says to go do 3.

I'm singing at the top of my lungs on taxi. Just as I take the rwy I settle down and have a few words with myself. I convince myself I can do this; just do what you've been trained to do. Everything is fine on the first lap then on short final for 29L TWR asks me to side step to the right for ldg traffic. Uh, hey, I'm ldg tfc, I think. Ok, no problem. Climbing out he says make left traffic, disregard, make right traffic...standby......make right traffic. By now I'm maybe 3 miles out. On downwind TWR says to make a left 360 for spacing. Never heard that before....

On final to the right he says sidestep left. BTW, make it a full stop. I do, taxi back for 29L and TWR says to cross the left to take off on the right. But I stop after crossing the left for confirmation that I am cleared for 29R. Kind of in a huff he says I'm cleared for the right. I take off, make right traffic, and get 2 back-to-back left 360s for spacing. By this time I feel like an old pro and just shrug it off.

I land, taxi to parking and shut down. There are five CFIs standing around clapping. My wife is there too. Nothing got bent and I was overcome by the enormous climb rates without him in the seat. I was my CFI's 2nd student to solo. I would have been his first but FAA held up my medical for almost 8 months. My good friend Brian McCullough beat me to solo by one week.

p8cleared2land said:
A week later (I went on vacation the next day) after 11 dual t & gs, he asked if I was up to going alone, and I said something like, "Yes, if you're sure I'm ready." Inside I was screaming, "GET OUT!" He hopped out.

Were your insides screaming "get out" to you, or your CFI? ;) :goofy:

My instructor jumped out, but that was long before all the pre-solo test and logging requirements.

I've only soloed two people so far, and I gave them both plenty of warning that it was coming. "Oh man, that was a great landing. You're not going to have any trouble on your solo." "When you solo I'll be on the radio, but if you fly a pattern like this I won't have to say a word." Etc...

I'd be very interested in what the experienced instructors do. I love the idea of springing it on a student, but think that building up to it makes more sense.

One thing that Tom (my CFI CFI) does that I love is take before and after solo photos. After seeing some of his I decided to do the same thing. It's great to compare the fake "before" smile with the genuine "after" smile, and they love having them.

I had plenty of warning. My instructor said I was ready to solo at about 4 or 5 hours, but wouldn't sign me off until I had as many as hours as he did when he soloed - 13. By the time I soloed it was a yawner, I don't remember anything about it except the shirt I was wearing, the date, and the plane. I know I landed on runway 2, but other than that it was a non event.

N2212R said:
I had plenty of warning. My instructor said I was ready to solo at about 4 or 5 hours, but wouldn't sign me off until I had as many as hours as he did when he soloed - 13. By the time I soloed it was a yawner, I don't remember anything about it except the shirt I was wearing, the date, and the plane. I know I landed on runway 2, but other than that it was a non event.

I can't stand CFIs with that attitude, apparently an effort at self-inflation of their egos with their own idea that no one could possibily do it faster than they did.

I tell flight students that after I quit making suggestions or quit hearing questions from them for a dozen or so landings in a row, they should be ready to go for it. I've had one student only that thought they were ready to go before I did, so we did a "qualifier" consisting of a standard Vashon Dep/Arr out of BFI and when done, I handed her a list of about 15 things, most of which she knew she screwed up.

She was indeed very close, needing just a little tweaking and humbling, and soloed quite well a few days afterward.

Last edited:
When the CFI give you the pre solo written...isn't THAT giving a warning?

Trixie said:
When the CFI give you the pre solo written...isn't THAT giving a warning?
I took it three times. Once after 10 hours just as everybody did, second when I was getting despondent and ready to give up, third when things were looking much better.
- Aunt Peggy

my first solo i had warning. hard to surprise someone when following a 141 syllabus.

my first taildragger solo, in super cub, was a surprise though. I was getting checked out by our chief towpilot/club president and had been making OK landings. He told me to taxi back to the hangar and i was kinda bummed about a short day but oh well. when we got to the hangar hes like "stop here" "im scared, im getting out, have fun, put it away when you are done" It was as much fun as my first solo. First glider solo was good too. Except when I got back everyone had went over to the hangars. I was kinda hoping to have a crowd to show off a nice landing to!

My instructor was one of the most soft spoken people I ever met, never heard him raise his voice

...on short final one calm day, he literally yelled at the top of his voice, "Can you PLEASE stay on centerline!!!"

I was a little off...but not that bad...this feller sure is in a bad mood today...I'm a little miffed too.

Landed..."Pull off now!" He said, "I've seen enough!" Whew...guess I need to find a new instructor...I really done something to this feller...

Clear of active "Gimme your logbook!" Wrote something down, opened the door, said..."Maybe you can keep it on centerline by yourself!"

Yipee!!! I stopped at 5 because he came over the radio and made me...

Merf

My solo a few days ago was also a non event to me, but I think my huge grin in the after solo picture might say otherwise. I had warning before it happened. Instructor made me do three T&G's with him, taxi back to the school office to drop him off. He let me steam in the plane for what seemed an eternity while he found the hand held radio, then came back and sent me out on my own. I did four T&G's by myself and was going make one more. I was just about to pull back on the yoke for the fifth take off when the tower called and said the owner wanted the plane back. I had enough runway to abort the takeoff so I did and got to practice the aborted take off.

My instructor told me that when I made three consecutive landings on centerline without him having to remind me of anything, I could solo. So it was not a surprize when he told me to let him out. My book had a solo pre-printed endorsement, so the sign-off was quick. I think I did 4 solo landings that day, with him on the ground with a hand-held. This was at a fairly busy uncontrolled airport with a flight school. He didn't say anything to me during those landings. One thing that was interesting is that as I was on downwind someone dropped into the pattern ahead of me after crossing at mid-field without using the standard entry. He was obviously in a faster plane and would have been on the ground before I turned final, but my instructor immediately got on the radio and just told him "You just dropped into the pattern ahead of a student pilot on his first solo." As soon as he said that the other guy pulled up and right and apologized, and entered the pattern using the 45 behind me. I doubt it would have required any change in my pattern, or at most a slightly extended downwind, but I felt he was looking out for me. Had the other guy been in a slower plane it could have been more of a problem. Something to think about. You never know when you will be dealing with a very low time student pilot, who could get rattled and do something unexpected and/or stupid.

Last edited:
Back