First solo XC - debrief (be advised... long read)

WannFly

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Priyo
for all you impatient folks out there... here is the short version:

did my solo XC today. KFAR - KJMS (5N8 and KBAC as checkpoint). came back following I94 via pilotage and dead reckoning. winds were supposed to be 6kts all day, landed in 12G20 from 220 on rny 18. initially was lined up with 27 since the winds were from 250, it changed when i was on a 3 mile final, requested a rny change and got it. landing was greaser as per my CFI, he was with a different student holding short of 18 (i never saw any plane on the hold short line, guess i was too much focused on landing). tomorrow another one KFAR - KBRD - KPKD - KFAR

Long version and the list of things i messed up

met with CFI and went over plans, i have a personal minimum right now that i won't go to any airport that doesn't have at least 4 runways to account for ever changing winds out here. checked NOTAM and saw rny 13/31 at KJMS is closed. winds are supposed to be 260 at 6-8 kts. no problem. backup, if winds changed, and i cant land, back to KFAR. didn't think what to do when the winds changed after i land and that's exactly what happened.

CFI showed a neat trick and i think will help a lot of other student/new pilots as well. i had the navlog printed from skyvector. CFI asked me to write down all frequencies that i would need in chronological order. that becomes my checklist as well for XC. call FSS, check. tune departure before take-off, check and so on. leave the center frequency blank, but put a placeholder

Off the ground, everything went as planned. destination winds were at 260 @8 kts, no problem. now i am big into tech and that's what i do for a living and i also know that when u need it the most, it won't work. i was keeping an eye on the iPad to see and ensure i plan the downwind entry properly. my MFD shows the rny as well and changes directions as i turn (pretty neat actually). 6 miles out i noticed iPad and MFD are telling two different things (wth runway alignment). Obviously i want to trust the MFD, but trust nothing and verify, circled the airport 600 ft above pattern, checked the windsock, clicked 5 times to turn the friendly PAPI on ... nada PAPI not working and its not in the NOTAM. got pretty bumpy at 3000, but landing went very uneventful.

Right after my landing 2 helo's landed (thought I took a pic, but apparently I didnt). Went to the FBO, grabbed a coffee, waited for the Helo's to do their departure runup (man they take forever, and I thought only student pilots makes long run ups). I have read enough on POA to know a rotorwash is worst than wake. I gave a good 7 mins after they took off before I started my taxi.

Check ASOS - winds are now 10 kts from 300 (per ASOS, but windsock said its 90* direct xw), I have to use rny 22. that’s when I realized I should have stuck to damn plan of sticking to 4 rny airports. Well, I prepared myself for a cross wind take off (its not much, so shouldn’t be a problem). Like a good student announced my intentions of crossing rny 13-31 bla bla bla… at the hold short line called FSS to open flight plan and at that time I realized I made all my ground calls on the FSS frequency (FSS guys.. u could have said something you know) - Lesson - before you open your big mouth, check who you are talking to. This is probably a good advice for whether you are a pilot or not.

Take off went pretty nice, much nicer than I thought it would be. Next 45 mins bumped around quite a lot at 5500, didn’t expect so much thermal on a 70 degree day. DID NOT LIKE IT. But I didn’t have a choice. At one point I told center that I am climbing to 7500, then decided not to because ETE was like 35 mins with GS of 132 kts and more importantly there was a scattered layer at 7000 and no way I am getting stuck up there.

Approaching fargo, approach gave me 27 (winds 10 G14 from 250- so much for a predicted calm day, calm day my arse). First, I couldn’t find the damn airport until I was like 5 miles out. Eventually found it, tower asked me to extend downwind and to find a seneca on opposite downwind. - I couldn’t even see the Seneca (even though ADSB was pointing out where to look). Got turn base your discretion, I was 4 miles out. Wind check on 2.5 mile and found out winds were now from 220 - 12G20. asked for a rnway change (dont fixate on landing, you are coming in for go around), tower gave it and I did one of my best landings in that wind (CFI was at hold short on rny 18, his words, not mine). I will admit, I was task saturated and didnt even see a 172 holding short, but good to know that I can focus on what matters. i did match the DG, Compass and rny number on short final (see i read and try to learn)

Tomorrow another if weather permits.

For the first time felt like real pilot, got curve balls thrown at me and I think I handled them well. Great confidence booster. I don’t like bumping around, not sure if others do, but I just hate it. But good to know I handled the yoke and didn’t gave it to Jesus.

Next called WX Brief to close flight plan, got scolded. They said your flight went for SAR and then they found it in 2 mins by calling KFAR. Next time let us know when you go off-grid. Don’t know what happened, I do add 15 mins to my landing. I should have called them after landing at the hold short line instead of a long taxi to hangar…. Good to know the system works, I will do better next time.

One interesting thing I noticed. As I parked my car in the hangar in Fargo before take off, I could literally hear my heart beating. Not sure what that was all about. Was little tensed holding short of the runway as well. But as soon as I entered the runway, everything disappeared. It’s a weird swing of emotions and cant really explain it.

Thanks for reading… did I overtake Denverpilot? :d:d

b/w a couple of pics too (one of them is from Seattle Avoinic's FlyQ Insight.. the augmented reality thing)

Attachments

• 20170927_181626785_iOS.jpg
    20170927_181626785_iOS.jpg
    117.2 KB · Views: 47
  • 20170927_181614583_iOS.jpg
    20170927_181614583_iOS.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 50
  • 20170927_181614936_iOS.jpg
    20170927_181614936_iOS.jpg
    141.6 KB · Views: 47
Awesome Dude!!!!

Doesn't it feel great. You planned it and flew it. Got some curveballs along the away and now you're back home writing about it instead of waiting. Weird on the runway discrepancy between the tech? You'll probably want to better understand that one.

When you heard your heart beating, I wonder if you dumped some adrenaline?

Regarding the FSS call....did it actually reach the SAR phase or just the 1st 30min period where they call around? I'm wondering if when you called in that you "activated your flight plan" vs "I'd like to activate my flight plan at 1324zulu". I think the former will activate at the time specified on the form. The later will recompile the new arrival time based on your newly specified departure time. The other time killer is the full stop. On each XC I allotted 10min and it was always 20min.

I did the exact same radio blunder after closing a flight plan and then landing at a uncontrolled airport. Here I'm wondering why I'm not hearing anything on good 122.8? Cause it's still on Princeton Radio dork! Never once did they say anything but probably couldn't hear me in the pattern and definitely not down on the ground.

Keep us posted on tomorrow. Hopefully the wx is great and you have an awesome, safe, uneventful, smooth flight!

Awesome Dude!!!!

Doesn't it feel great. You planned it and flew it. Got some curveballs along the away and now you're back home writing about it instead of waiting. Weird on the runway discrepancy between the tech? You'll probably want to better understand that one.

When you heard your heart beating, I wonder if you dumped some adrenaline?

Regarding the FSS call....did it actually reach the SAR phase or just the 1st 30min period where they call around? I'm wondering if when you called in that you "activated your flight plan" vs "I'd like to activate my flight plan at 1324zulu". I think the former will activate at the time specified on the form. The later will recompile the new arrival time based on your newly specified departure time. The other time killer is the full stop. On each XC I allotted 10min and it was always 20min.

I did the exact same radio blunder after closing a flight plan and then landing at a uncontrolled airport. Here I'm wondering why I'm not hearing anything on good 122.8? Cause it's still on Princeton Radio dork! Never once did they say anything but probably couldn't hear me in the pattern and definitely not down on the ground.

Keep us posted on tomorrow. Hopefully the wx is great and you have an awesome, safe, uneventful, smooth flight!
About the tech, I think I know what happened, my stratux got over heated and iPad lost GPS signal, it couldn't figure out where I was.

FSS call... think u are spot on. I said open flight plan now, didn't say the time. Thought they will compute the time. My mistake. they said ur 30 min window has passed and we activated SAR. Who made calls to kfar tower. My phone was in airplane mode. I had pretty bad headwind, so it took longer to reach and then delay due to the helos. Now that u say it, it's completely possible they opened at at what time I thought I would fly out, as per the form.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Congrats Sir!
Apparently handling things is what it's all about.
Every XC I've flown has been quite a learning experience, and confidence booster.
Radio goofs, couldn't find the one piece of paper I knew I had, phone won't work right, etc.
The wind always seems to change.
Then mean ole Mr. Jiggles shows up to play. (the bumps)
Parts of the plan just go to ***** whenever they want to.
Then you get the bill afterward.

Makes me wonder why we love it so much lol.

Keep up the good work.... and keep makin Kate do what you say. ;)

did my solo XC today. KFAR - KJMS (5N8 and KBAC as checkpoint). came back following I94 via pilotage and dead reckoning. winds were supposed to be 6kts all day, landed in 12G20 from 220 on rny 18. initially was lined up with 27 since the winds were from 250, it changed when i was on a 3 mile final, requested a rny change and got it. landing was greaser as per my CFI, he was with a different student holding short of 18 (i never saw any plane on the hold short line, guess i was too much focused on landing). tomorrow another one KFAR - KBRD - KPKD - KFAR

met with CFI and went over plans, i have a personal minimum right now that i won't go to any airport that doesn't have at least 4 runways to account for ever changing winds out here. checked NOTAM and saw rny 13/31 at KJMS is closed. winds are supposed to be 260 at 6-8 kts. no problem. backup, if winds changed, and i cant land, back to KFAR. didn't think what to do when the winds changed after i land and that's exactly what happened.

CFI showed a neat trick and i think will help a lot of other student/new pilots as well. i had the navlog printed from skyvector. CFI asked me to write down all frequencies that i would need in chronological order. that becomes my checklist as well for XC. call FSS, check. tune departure before take-off, check and so on. leave the center frequency blank, but put a placeholder

Off the ground, everything went as planned. destination winds were at 260 @8 kts, no problem. now i am big into tech and that's what i do for a living and i also know that when u need it the most, it won't work. i was keeping an eye on the iPad to see and ensure i plan the downwind entry properly. my MFD shows the rny as well and changes directions as i turn (pretty neat actually). 6 miles out i noticed iPad and MFD are telling two different things (wth runway alignment). Obviously i want to trust the MFD, but trust nothing and verify, circled the airport 600 ft above pattern, checked the windsock, clicked 5 times to turn the friendly PAPI on ... nada PAPI not working and its not in the NOTAM. got pretty bumpy at 3000, but landing went very uneventful.

Right after my landing 2 helo's landed (thought I took a pic, but apparently I didnt). Went to the FBO, grabbed a coffee, waited for the Helo's to do their departure runup (man they take forever, and I thought only student pilots makes long run ups). I have read enough on POA to know a rotorwash is worst than wake. I gave a good 7 mins after they took off before I started my taxi.

Check ASOS - winds are now 10 kts from 300 (per ASOS, but windsock said its 90* direct xw), I have to use rny 22. that’s when I realized I should have stuck to damn plan of sticking to 4 rny airports. Well, I prepared myself for a cross wind take off (its not much, so shouldn’t be a problem). Like a good student announced my intentions of crossing rny 13-31 bla bla bla… at the hold short line called FSS to open flight plan and at that time I realized I made all my ground calls on the FSS frequency (FSS guys.. u could have said something you know) - Lesson - before you open your big mouth, check who you are talking to. This is probably a good advice for whether you are a pilot or not.

Take off went pretty nice, much nicer than I thought it would be. Next 45 mins bumped around quite a lot at 5500, didn’t expect so much thermal on a 70 degree day. DID NOT LIKE IT. But I didn’t have a choice. At one point I told center that I am climbing to 7500, then decided not to because ETE was like 35 mins with GS of 132 kts and more importantly there was a scattered layer at 7000 and no way I am getting stuck up there.

Approaching fargo, approach gave me 27 (winds 10 G14 from 250- so much for a predicted calm day, calm day my arse). First, I couldn’t find the damn airport until I was like 5 miles out. Eventually found it, tower asked me to extend downwind and to find a seneca on opposite downwind. - I couldn’t even see the Seneca (even though ADSB was pointing out where to look). Got turn base your discretion, I was 4 miles out. Wind check on 2.5 mile and found out winds were now from 220 - 12G20. asked for a rnway change (dont fixate on landing, you are coming in for go around), tower gave it and I did one of my best landings in that wind (CFI was at hold short on rny 18, his words, not mine). I will admit, I was task saturated and didnt even see a 172 holding short, but good to know that I can focus on what matters. i did match the DG, Compass and rny number on short final (see i read and try to learn)

For the first time felt like real pilot, got curve balls thrown at me and I think I handled them well. Great confidence booster. I don’t like bumping around, not sure if others do, but I just hate it. But good to know I handled the yoke and didn’t gave it to Jesus.

Next called WX Brief to close flight plan, got scolded. They said your flight went for SAR and then they found it in 2 mins by calling KFAR. Next time let us know when you go off-grid. Don’t know what happened, I do add 15 mins to my landing. I should have called them after landing at the hold short line instead of a long taxi to hangar…. Good to know the system works, I will do better next time.

One interesting thing I noticed. As I parked my car in the hangar in Fargo before take off, I could literally hear my heart beating. Not sure what that was all about. Was little tensed holding short of the runway as well. But as soon as I entered the runway, everything disappeared. It’s a weird swing of emotions and cant really explain it.

Great on you doing your Solo cross country. I was supposed to do mine today but the plane got grounded so I couldn't do it. In addition to using Skyvector to make your plan do you also plan it using a sectional map and pen and paper?
Andy

Congratulations. You fully grasp the purpose of the solo cross country and you did well despite the wind forecast being a lie, as always. And remember, it’s only choppy on a 70-degree day in eastern ND when you fly over the little lakes. (For those not familiar: that entire portion of ND is nothing but little lakes.)

On one of my solo cross country flights, specifically to take my PPL written test, I used the web site to activate my VFR flight plan. It didn’t even ask my actual departure time. By the time I landed and used a bathroom, I was “late” and couldn’t close my flight plan online. So I called and they said it had been turned over to SAR, which of course consisted of a phone call to the FBO at my destination who probably told them I was in the bathroom. Suggestion of something that may work for you, or may not: update your ETA with FSS while you are en route. It forces you to think about how your ETA compares with what you planned and it helps you avoid SAR.

Edit to add: You’re already learning that 10G14 qualifies as “calm” in ND and that it’s not such a big deal anymore. Don’t get cocky about your mad gusty crosswind landing skills, but make sure you recognize your tremendous growth in this area.

Great on you doing your Solo cross country. I was supposed to do mine today but the plane got grounded so I couldn't do it. In addition to using Skyvector to make your plan do you also plan it using a sectional map and pen and paper?
Andy
I did 1 leg by hand to ensure I can and I will have to do that for DPE, but don't envision doing it every time

Congratulations, you just cleared a hurdle in your training.
Sounds like you made a few minor mistakes, but nothing too serious and you learned from them.
As said before, you can always update FS with a position check along your route and an update on your new ETA.
I think you mean an airport with 2 runways, not 4 separate runways, or you'll be limiting yourself to someplace like MSP.

Good job. Ain't it great to be flying somewhere. First cross country was more of a highlight to me than first solo.

Congratulations, you just cleared a hurdle in your training.
Sounds like you made a few minor mistakes, but nothing too serious and you learned from them.
As said before, you can always update FS with a position check along your route and an update on your new ETA.
I think you mean an airport with 2 runways, not 4 separate runways, or you'll be limiting yourself to someplace like MSP.
Yah 2 runways

Well on my 2nd solo xc today,looks like the turbulence gods went some place else. Smooth as glass. St now stuck at park rapids, mn...waiting for the cloud gods to go somewhere else ....

Landed back in fargo from my awesome second solo XC. Got weathered out at park rapids for an hr, but all worked out. Tree tops are turning red here.... closed all my flight plans for a change. Everything went as planned. 1 mistake this time... while landing in pkd in rain, forgot the landing checklist and the fuel pump was off. Will do better tomorrow .... might go to AXN

Well done on the XC! It's absolutely the time the pilot feeling because a real feeling!

You learned a ton on this flight-- that's terrific! As you gain experience you will become more accustomed to the things that through you( changing winds are normal, calm winds are rare!) and you will gradually expand your comfort level and the 4 runway requirement will become a non factor!

You mentioned turbulence-- that's another thing that with experience you will learn to figure out a bit! I hate turbulence but I'll tolerate it. Truth is, you described a scattered layer at 7,000-- in my experience anytime you see clouds, especially with any build up at all, the air under the clouds is almost always bumpy. It is generally smoother up above the clouds and you can legally climb above a scattered layer with no worries at all( I'd try it with your CFI first just so you have a sense of how "open" a scattered layer actually is) but you made the right call to stay below the clouds as a student pilot on an XC. As you gain experience you will recognize that, at least where I fly, that cloud cover remains fairly stable throughout the day( unless there is a significant weather event near by.). I also use to worry about cloud coverage changing rapidly but my experience has shown that cloud coverage does not always change from scattered to broken very quickly. If you are looking to avoid the turbulence you have to either fly really early in the day or get above the clouds!

Nevertheless, great job on the XC. You made it! Thanks for sharing!

Landed back in fargo from my awesome second solo XC. Got weathered out at park rapids for an hr, but all worked out. Tree tops are turning red here.... closed all my flight plans for a change. Everything went as planned. 1 mistake this time... while landing in pkd in rain, forgot the landing checklist and the fuel pump was off. Will do better tomorrow .... might go to AXN
Checklists are easier to forget when there isn't an instructor or copilot sitting next to you. Keep debriefing and catching yourself when you miss a checklist so you get better rather than worse as you build more solo hours.

A great time and awesome countryside for the big solo cross country! I would really like to get in a flight up around Itasca sometime. You could probably see the headwaters of the Mississippi on that flight! What I found nice about the bigger solo xc was there seemed to be some time to relax, not much but some!!! Looks like tomorrow might be another great day to do some local solo work. You are getting close now :)

A great time and awesome countryside for the big solo cross country! I would really like to get in a flight up around Itasca sometime. You could probably see the headwaters of the Mississippi on that flight! What I found nice about the bigger solo xc was there seemed to be some time to relax, not much but some!!! Looks like tomorrow might be another great day to do some local solo work. You are getting close now :)
And seems like I am just following your footsteps.... solo, then xc, getting close to written, actually getting 85-90% consistently, so I might just pull the trigger soon and get it over with.

Good job! As somebody else already mentioned, anything under 30kts is calm in ND (I'm in BIS). If you haven't already done so, grab a ND Passport and start collecting stamps from all the little airports you'll visit during training and afterwards. Gives you a "reason" to fly somewhere new you haven't been before.

Good job! As somebody else already mentioned, anything under 30kts is calm in ND (I'm in BIS). If you haven't already done so, grab a ND Passport and start collecting stamps from all the little airports you'll visit during training and afterwards. Gives you a "reason" to fly somewhere new you haven't been before.
Kai is right, get going on your ND airports passport. Since you're on the border, grab the Minnesota one, too, although they have more airports for probably the same quality "free" leather jacket. (I think MN has 130 whereas ND only has 89.) And say hi if you get far enough west. Kai found me at an FAAST seminar in Bismarck (the jacket requires 3 seminars, so I go to those whenever I can). And if you actually mistakenly land at S25, let me know. I always like an excuse to ditch work for an hour to go talk about airplanes.

Back