First Solo (w/ Video)

tomheinan

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
tom

After many months of study and around 50 hours of flight time, I managed to get it around the pattern a couple of times last night without damaging plane or pilot :smilewinkgrin:

I was worried I'd find it nerve-wracking, but in fact it was quite relaxing - I performed the traditional three T&Gs and then headed back to the hangar to have my shirt "retailored". Many thanks to my CFI Will, who assures me that "it's all downhill from here", which I hope refers to the learning curve and not the trajectory of my aircraft wreckage.

Great video sir. I love watching others flying and learning. Congrats.

-Ken

Way to go Tom, congratulations.:thumbsup:

Thanks all for the encouragement - I'm going out again in a couple of hours to make sure it wasn't just a fluke ;)

Great job. Congratulations. This will be one of the things you will remember all your life.

Love the little "yahoo" gesture you did with both hands towards the end of the video. I know EXACTLY how you felt at that point.

Many thanks to my CFI Will, who assures me that "it's all downhill from here", which I hope refers to the learning curve and not the trajectory of my aircraft wreckage.

Actually he's referring to your bank account balance.

Last edited:
how did you manange to get the video with only the radio comm (without propnoise)?

how did you manange to get the video with only the radio comm (without propnoise)?

It's easy. There is an adapter you can buy to hook into the mic circuit. Available from sportys and a lot of other places. Sportys also sells a kit which includes this adaptr and a lens filter to fix the annoying propeller blur you often get in these videos.

Congrats pilot! My only suggestion would be to keep your hand on the throttle during the climb. I noticed you always went back to your trim wheel after rotation.

congrats and thanks for sharing the video, you are well on your way now!

Congrats! Now on to your long XC flights! The long XC solo will be another flight that you're not likely to forget...

Love the video - thanks!

One tiny thing I noticed...

On the takeoff roll, the yoke seemed to be moving left and right, as if you were subtly attempting to "steer" the plane on the ground with the yoke.

It's very, very common - negative transfer from thousands of hours driving cars. I occasionally see it with experienced pilots as well.

With no crosswind, I'd be looking for neutral aileron throughout the takeoff roll.

With a crosswind, aileron into the wind, gradually decreasing with aileron effectiveness.

Not meant as a criticism - just an observation.

Excellent job overall and keep up the good work!

Nice job.

Seems like you enjoy the radio work and it shows in your comms. I was the same way. The radio work is one of my favorite things about flying.

congrats! I wish I would of set up a camera. I doubt I was that calm... who knows.

Back