First solo today

Congrats. Why are you landing with a tailwind, especially on your first solo? How did your CFI sign off on that?

Congrats. Why are you landing with a tailwind, especially on your first solo? How did your CFI sign off on that?
The winds at my home airport are notoriously tricky. They were calm in the 1/2 hour leading up to the solo, they were favoring 30R when I took off on the solo, and due to ATC requirements regarding opposite direction, I couldn't switch to 12R right away. You train for this stuff at BJC.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Piper Archer II. Porpoised on my first landing, had to fight a tailwind early on, but pulled it together in the end. Best. Feeling. Ever.

Congrats pilot! I soloed December 4 and I can still remember the complete euphoria and the stupid smile I just could not wipe off my face :D good luck on the rest of your training.

Last edited:
'30R', 9000' X 100, even at 5500 MSL should be plenty, adding in the hopefully slight tailwind. It is good practice to always land into the wind though.

Piper Archer II. Porpoised on my first landing, had to fight a tailwind early on, but pulled it together in the end. Best. Feeling. Ever.

Welcome to the small but mighty less than .1% of the population who have successfully flown an airplane by themselves and returned safely to earth to tell about it! Congrats!

Congratulations! I bet it is the best feeling ever. Last friday was my first flying lesson, that so far is my best feeling, but I know it is nothing compared to getting to where you can solo! Good luck (to both of us!).

Back