First solo today!

Arbiter419

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
CAucker
Hey everyone,

I don't post often (bit of a lurker) but I decided to share my first solo story which unfolded today!

I have ~15 hours of time, most of it in a 172N at Penn Valley(SEG). There might be a little more, little less, haven't counted in a while. The solo wasn't a surprise, I knew my CFII/dad was going to solo me today, so we got to the airport and the manager Jim Taylor (great guy) said how nice the weather was for a solo flight and that he has his scissors ready.

I did a thorough preflight while watching a 172 and PA-28 land on runway 35, and then my instructor and I hopped in the cockpit and watched a little MD chopper land. Everything was going great and we did two full stops before he told me to let him out in front of the office. I taxied back to runway 35 and did a normal take off. I was really surprised at how much faster the plane accelerated and climbed (I'm a light guy, 140 lbs). Did all my radio work and pre landing checklist just fine. First landing was nice, my CFII asked over the handheld if I wanted to do another one, and of course I said yes. Did two more, and that was that. The third landing was especially nice, nose didn't come down until we were barely at a jogging pace. Taxied back, shut down, and had the shirt cut off my back by my CFII/dad.

All in all, it was a great day and I'm extremely happy with my performance. Now it's time for cross country :D

msfvc7.jpg

mv50cp.jpg

Thats awesome! How is it with your dad as CFI? I have a young daughter and wonder about teaching her to fly. I would have such strong feelings about how she went about it, but then I also think there would be something to letting her have her own thing. I was trying to talk my wife into learning to fly this next summer and again, she'd want to find her own path.

I am sure its a fantastic father-son activity but I also know that when my Dad was trying to teach me to drive we managed a Duke's of Hazzard jump in the Buick Station Wagon during an episode of poor Cockpit Resource Management.

Todd,:rofl: you bust my gut with some of your posts. Keep them coming!

Rick

Thats awesome! How is it with your dad as CFI? I have a young daughter and wonder about teaching her to fly. I would have such strong feelings about how she went about it, but then I also think there would be something to letting her have her own thing. I was trying to talk my wife into learning to fly this next summer and again, she'd want to find her own path.

I am sure its a fantastic father-son activity but I also know that when my Dad was trying to teach me to drive we managed a Duke's of Hazzard jump in the Buick Station Wagon during an episode of poor Cockpit Resource Management.

Thanks to everyone!

But up there, we aren't father and son, he treats me just like he's treated every other student. He had no problems letting me solo because I took a pre-solo checkride with the chief instructor last week and did great, and I made two greasers with him in the plane before he got out.

Also, how old is your daughter?

Also, how old is your daughter?
She's 9 and would have no interest in flying anything that wasn't a majik pony right now. Our flight radius is limited by the charge in the iPod and the movies I have downloaded.

Congrats on your solo! Really awesome.

She's 9 and would have no interest in flying anything that wasn't a majik pony right now. Our flight radius is limited by the charge in the iPod and the movies I have downloaded.

Congrats on your solo! Really awesome.

Hah, maybe she'll catch the bug as she gets a little older. It's a great bug to catch, but dang...it's an expensive one...

Congrats! First solo is a great accomplishment!

It's a great bug to catch, but dang...it's an expensive one...

Whatever you do, do NOT keep track of how much money it actually costs. You'll have to quit. ;)

Come on up to IPT anytime you want. We should get you along on one of my animal rescue transports to give you some exposure to a real mission/long XC and a twin (although if your dad is a CFI you've probably already got some).

I have some fond memories of SEG. Took my private and instrument check rides there. Also went down there to practice spot power off 180 landings in the Mooney in 15G25 direct crosswinds. That was fun. :)

mv50cp.jpg
[/quote]

That is a very young CFI standing to your left! Are you sure he is old enough to fly? :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Congrats! That is one big smile! Thanks for sharing!

Last edited:
That's great. You are so lucky to be able to start flying in your youth. I am jealous!!!! Congratulations on the solo, we all know how great a feeling that is.

Good luck with the rest of your training.

And remember, we're all counting on you.:D

Congrats! First solo is a great accomplishment!

Whatever you do, do NOT keep track of how much money it actually costs. You'll have to quit. ;)

Come on up to IPT anytime you want. We should get you along on one of my animal rescue transports to give you some exposure to a real mission/long XC and a twin (although if your dad is a CFI you've probably already got some).

I have some fond memories of SEG. Took my private and instrument check rides there. Also went down there to practice spot power off 180 landings in the Mooney in 15G25 direct crosswinds. That was fun. :)

A huge thanks to everyone! It's great to actually be able to talk flying.

And Ted, I'll probably be making some solo flights up to Williamsport in the near future, so I'll let you know. My dad actually has his multi-rating, but never got around to putting it to some use, so I've never even been in a twin.

I'll let you know!:smile:

And Ted, I'll probably be making some solo flights up to Williamsport in the near future, so I'll let you know. My dad actually has his multi-rating, but never got around to putting it to some use, so I've never even been in a twin.

I'll let you know!:smile:

If you've never been in a twin, we'll have to fix that. ;)

If you've never been in a twin, we'll have to fix that. ;)

You have no idea how much I'd like that. :D

If you ever need any help with the animal rescue flights, feel free to ask! Animals and aviation are two of my favorite things, and I'd be honored to be able to help even in the smallest amount. :yesnod:

If you ever need any help with the animal rescue flights, feel free to ask! Animals and aviation are two of my favorite things, and I'd be honored to be able to help even in the smallest amount. :yesnod:

You can be the poo dropper!!:D:D:D

(You'll have to ask Ted about that)

Good, you're hired! We'll find an upcoming flight to get you along on.

You can be the poo dropper!!:D:D:D

(You'll have to ask Ted about that)

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Congrats! I just passed my written so I am taking lessons now. Good Job!!

Hey Ted -- another PDIT (poo dropper in training) :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Congrats on the written. Any questions about the flying part, just post 'em. We're all here to help. Good luck.

Congrats on the solo. An awesome feeling isn't it. I think the smile on your dad's face is bigger than yours. You will have to fly out to one of POAs flyins. The Wings flybq would be a good one. Bring your dad along. man our young pilots are mulitplying we have Austin and now you and Seth. and Snaggle tooth. Conrgats again and congrats Seth on passing the written test.

Congrats on the solo. An awesome feeling isn't it. I think the smile on your dad's face is bigger than yours. You will have to fly out to one of POAs flyins. The Wings flybq would be a good one. Bring your dad along. man our young pilots are mulitplying we have Austin and now you and Seth. and Snaggle tooth. Conrgats again and congrats Seth on passing the written test.

Yeah, I'd love to fly to something with you guys, from what I see, you have a blast at both Gastons and Wings. I found out about Gastons at the last minute last year, so I couldn't really make anything happen there. If I start a fly-in fund now, I think I'll be alright!

Wings if close enough that you can easily make it. Gaston's and 6Y9 are further, and it's more affordable if you fly with someone else who's going that way and split costs.

All three of them are great fun, though, so I'd recommend attending them all if you can!

CONGRATULATIONS!!!! It's a great feeling...now go and enjoy the X-C work and keep us all posted as to your progress...you'll also be amazed at how differently the plane behaves when you go out and do your maneuvers solo!!!
Most of all...HAVE FUN!

Congrats! I just passed my written so I am taking lessons now. Good Job!!

Not really sure if I should believe this or not...

Anyway, I'm taking a dual XC flight up to KSV (Sullivan County NY) this coming monday, so I'll let you guys know how that goes.

Last edited:
Congrats! I did my first solo last August (at 20 something years older than you!)... Just waiting for a break in my work schedule and some good VFR in MI to take my check ride. Stick with it (and recruit some friends!). KK

Congrats! I did my first solo last August (at 20 something years older than you!)... Just waiting for a break in my work schedule and some good VFR in MI to take my check ride. Stick with it (and recruit some friends!). KK

Thanks, and welcome to PoA!

Planning on making a career out of this, but first the weather has to let up a little bit so I can take a cross-country flight to MSV :D

Lemme know when you go to MSV..I am based out of POU and just around the corner.

Well the plan as of now is to take off from SEG around 930, make to MSV by ~1020 - 1030 (didn't calculate for winds aloft yet), take a quick restroom break and look around (although the last time I was at MSV, there wasn't much of anything going on) and head on back, so if you're in the area, maybe our paths will cross!

Well, we didn't make it to MSV today, weather was IMC almost the whole way there. But, we made the best of the day and stayed around Selinsgrove for some serious crosswind work (30+mph straight across the runway) My instructor did the first two or three landings, and after that I really started to get the hang of it. Granted I didn't make it on the centerline every time, but I was pretty pleased with my first real intro to crosswinds.

I'll put up a video tomorrow that my brother took from the back seat.

Well, we didn't make it to MSV today, weather was IMC almost the whole way there. But, we made the best of the day and stayed around Selinsgrove for some serious crosswind work (30+mph straight across the runway) My instructor did the first two or three landings, and after that I really started to get the hang of it. Granted I didn't make it on the centerline every time, but I was pretty pleased with my first real intro to crosswinds.

I'll put up a video tomorrow that my brother took from the back seat.

The winds yesterday looked for some excellent crosswind practice down at SEG. That was where I would always go for practice. A day similar to yesterday I took the Mooney down to work on power-off 180 spot landings when I was prepping for my commercial. Have fun!

Not really sure if I should believe this or not...

Anyway, I'm taking a dual XC flight up to KSV (Sullivan County NY) this coming monday, so I'll let you guys know how that goes.
Hope you have a great flight. My first cross-country solo flight was to Sullivan County. Local CAP meeting was going on, so had the commander sign my logbook. Enjoy.

The winds yesterday looked for some excellent crosswind practice down at SEG. That was where I would always go for practice. A day similar to yesterday I took the Mooney down to work on power-off 180 spot landings when I was prepping for my commercial. Have fun!

I'll admit, I was not having much fun on the first 3 or 4 landings, but after that I really got the smooth transition from crab to slip on short final, I realized you just have to keep flying the plane all the way back to the ramp. After I got that into my head, I didn't have nearly as hard of a time as I did initially.

The next two weeks aren't looking too promising for a cross country flight, but we'll see what happens!

Back