First Solo - of a sort.

Aztec Driver

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Bryon
Yesterday I did my first solo Charter with paying passengers. Miserably bumpy, but a good flight anyway. After passing the checkride in February, the plane went in for maintenance and stayed there three weeks, then between horrible weather and a dry spell in charters, I still couldn't get a flight. Fianlly everything came together yeasterday. VFR only, but it is a start. Have to work up the hours to join the IFR ranks. It sure would be easier to file IFR around the ADIZ and class B areas, rather than having to go around them, or get near them in hopes of being cleared through.

The one question I have for those of you that might know is; Why limit the low time pilots to VFR, instead of limiting them to VMC weather? Are they concerned about the distraction of ATC? The pilot has to have an instrument ticket anyway, to be PIC, so why not let them use that as a safety tool and an ease of procedure in busy airspace? I can see the need to keep the pilot from the extra workload of flying in IMC, but not to keep them from flying IFR in terminal areas, and especially in the ADIZ, where flying IFR is a lot less hassle than VFR.

And while I enjoy sitting around airports, and I even like JGG, there is simply nothing to do there all day if you don't choose to rent a car. And they frown upon you walking around the airport area for sightseeing. I thought they were going to lock me up when the manager came tooling down to see what I was doing there. I assume that terrorists now walk around in a "Snoopy" tie and nice pants and shoes when they go out to shoot at airplanes.

Congratulations!

The one question I have for those of you that might know is; Why limit the low time pilots to VFR, instead of limiting them to VMC weather?
I can see there might be a problem if ATC was expecting you to follow a certain route and an unforecast cloud pops up in your way. What if ATC is vectoring you? They can't tell where the clouds are. I think if you are on an IFR flight plan they assume you are able to fly in IMC.

And while I enjoy sitting around airports, and I even like JGG, there is simply nothing to do there all day if you don't choose to rent a car. And they frown upon you walking around the airport area for sightseeing. I thought they were going to lock me up when the manager came tooling down to see what I was doing there. I assume that terrorists now walk around in a "Snoopy" tie and nice pants and shoes when they go out to shoot at airplanes.
Like I told Tony, welcome to charter! [cough]

I usually bring something to read, or more recently, a laptop computer since many places have wireless these days. A lot of FBOs have crew cars but you can only take them for a limited amount of time.

Congratulations!

I can see there might be a problem if ATC was expecting you to follow a certain route and an unforecast cloud pops up in your way. What if ATC is vectoring you? They can't tell where the clouds are. I think if you are on an IFR flight plan they assume you are able to fly in IMC..

I guess that is a consideration, I suppose I was referring to initial flight planning to make sure you have the proper weather minima, but I can understand that problem.

I usually bring something to read, or more recently, a laptop computer since many places have wireless these days. A lot of FBOs have crew cars but you can only take them for a limited amount of time.

I tried the whole wireless internet on my laptop, but there was none. I guess its time for the Iphone - to make me an incredibly annoying person:D. When I was co-piloting, the captains always took the crew car for a "decent" lunch, since it was paid for by the company. I just have a hard time going to a nice place and spending more than I need to. Besides, JGG doesn't have a crew car.

I left my relatively cushy mapping job for a charter job and a chance to fly turbine airplanes. My first couple IOE trips involved sitting all day in Imperial, Nebraska, in the winter. My thoughts were, "holy cow, what have I done?" The good news is that it has gotten better for me and I'm glad I made the move.

I think that's great you're doing this Bryon. Congrats. Doesn't make sense to me you can't file. Is that a company requirement, insurance or Pt 135? Basically I consider IFR "safer" than VFR.

I think that's great you're doing this Bryon. Congrats. Doesn't make sense to me you can't file. Is that a company requirement, insurance or Pt 135? Basically I consider IFR "safer" than VFR.
Pt 135 regs until I reach 1200 hours.

OK, I guess I did know that. Still doesn't seem logical. Nothing like scud running with paying passengers I say.
That was a point of contention i had when doing the training for this. I told them that it was far safer for me to file and fly IFR and penetrate a solid layer to a more favorable higher altitude than it was for me to fly around just below the clouds, bouncing around and giving the passengers a very unpleasant ride. If the FAA would deal with this, they would likely just say that you need 1200 hours and allow no VFR at an earlier stage, so I guess I will just put up with it for a while.

Back