First Solo in the Books!

Gmanattack

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Gmanattack
All--

I had my first solo flight today.

It's been a long while in the making because of my initial deferred medical (thanks to Dr. Bruce for getting that cleared up!). But, finally today, I went up with my instructor did a couple of normal landings and one simulated engine out landing. Nailed them, especially the engine out and once we were clear of the active he said "you're ready, give me your logbook and medical certificate."

I have to say, I wasn't that scared once I started taxiing without the instructor but I've gone through periods of sheer terror in the days leading up to this so I figure I got all the fear out of my system before today.

Then, I got to the hold short line, ran through the before takeoff checklist and took the runway. It was an amazing feeling rolling down the runway but then my mind quickly snapped back to training: instruments in the green? airspeed coming alive? rotation...right rudder.

Did four full stop landings and my last one was close to dusk so I got to turn on the runway lights and it was quite a sight!

And when I taxied back the instructor was waiting with a full bucket of water. :)

Great job!!! Now the real fun begins!

One of my favorite parts was the long XC. Made me understand what it felt like to actually go some where with my flying.

Fantastic. You will always remember this wonderful day!!!! Well done!

Nice job! Congrats on safely taking control of an airplane and returning it to the ground- no small accomplishment!

Enjoy the rest of training and the new experiences.

Congratulations on your solo! Flying, alone (or with someone), above the earth is a wonderful thing.

Nice! I'm still all smiles over my solo on 9/20. Although I avoided any water, my shirt tail was cut off moments after we hit the ground...

X-Country flights, here we come...

Great job!

I felt so bad about my first solo performance that I was afraid to post =) Looks like you're doing MUCH BETTER!

Way to go, Pilot! You've just joined the very exclusive club of those who have taken an airplane into flight and returned safely to earth. I'd say, "Wipe that silly grin off you face.", but I know it will be there for quite some time. Have fun with the rest of your training.

Congratulations.

But you're supposed to do your first solo in the air (and on the runway/taxiways), not in the books. I'd think the prop would chop them into little bits. :)

Thanks everyone for the kind words! My first XC flights are schedule for this weekend (a little further out from my solo than I would like but there were scheduling issues).

It seems a lot of XC is mental preparation. That's not to say that the actual airnav log preparation is a walk in the park.

All--

I had my first solo flight today.

It's been a long while in the making because of my initial deferred medical (thanks to Dr. Bruce for getting that cleared up!). But, finally today, I went up with my instructor did a couple of normal landings and one simulated engine out landing. Nailed them, especially the engine out and once we were clear of the active he said "you're ready, give me your logbook and medical certificate."

I have to say, I wasn't that scared once I started taxiing without the instructor but I've gone through periods of sheer terror in the days leading up to this so I figure I got all the fear out of my system before today.

Then, I got to the hold short line, ran through the before takeoff checklist and took the runway. It was an amazing feeling rolling down the runway but then my mind quickly snapped back to training: instruments in the green? airspeed coming alive? rotation...right rudder.

Did four full stop landings and my last one was close to dusk so I got to turn on the runway lights and it was quite a sight!

And when I taxied back the instructor was waiting with a full bucket of water. :)

I envy you. I have been deferred since July...and still under review and I still have to send in more documents and test :(

Back