First solo... Finally. :)

Tflhndn

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Tflhndn
So, after more than two years of dreaming of learning to fly (and amassing enough AMUs to know I could finish once I started) two months of actually training, and two weeks for the weather to clear, I got the chance to solo today.

While the weather cleared enough to fly, the ground had melted too much for us to practice at the home drome (grass runway was too soft). So we flew up to KSIF for what I thought was going to me a day of landing practice in the archer II (in which to date I had 1.4 hours and only 2 landings in, having flown 140s in the rest of my training).

My first two attempts at landing ended in go arounds as I had trouble keeping the nose aligned in the flare. (Not enough rudder- the bane of both my landings and my CFIs patience and nerves)

On the third approach, I was too close in on the downwind leg. He pointed this out, saying "this would be a good place for a simulated engine out" and cut the throttle.

Adrenaline is amazing stuff - best landing I ever made...

Next two laps were solid. As we stopped at the hold short line to reconfigure was take off, he took off his headset and said try doing three of those without me, opened the door and climbed out right here on the taxiway.

Somehow I didn't feel scared or particularly nervous. Mostly excited, with a little bit of "now don't F*** this up" echoing in my head.

I could write a bunch about the flight ( airport plows working some additional runway slush removal and untimely traffic entering the pattern which I could not locate visually) but I will leave it with this - the first landing was good, the second ugly (not unsafe, just not very pretty) and the third was fine - just as my CFI said it would go.

It was as great a feeling as everyone said it would be, as as different from what I imagined as can be..

Anyway, after years of lurking and reading other write-ups, I thought I would post mine. Thanks to all whose comments have helped me as I struggle to earn the title Pilot.

And for those who care, I had 18.4 hrs at the start of the day.

And damn it feels good :)

Congrats! That's one of the best feelings in the world. And it only gets better from here!

Solid!

How does it feel to be an aviator!

Feels cooler now, but I think my CFI was a bit confused when he got back in the plane - I was furious with myself for what I considered three poor approaches and landings. :)

Congratulations! It is my experience as a CFI that we just see it "click" in the student's head and have to take advantage of the moment and let them go. I am glad you got it figured out. My current student did that a couple weeks ago. Two really good landings and I let him go. Woohoo!

Keep on working hard! You will be done before you know it.

And don't be so hard on yourself! :mad2: I know it is difficult not to. Making mistakes is how we learn.

David

I think my first solo was likely more stressful for my CFI than for me. :lol: I remember my first solo takeoff, looking to my right and seeing nobody sitting there...surreal!

Congrats, and welcome to the addiction.

Awesome...my day is coming soon i am getting nervous but i am excited

Awesome...my day is coming soon i am getting nervous but i am excited

If it was anything like mine, when the time comes you will feel like it's time.

Actually, I had my "I got this" moment two weeks ago after doing some 11 landings in one session. It just clicked and I was punching them out, even when my instructor slowed my approach speed 5 mph. I had been having trouble lining up on the center of the runway and trouble seeing my glide path when I first turned on final.

As we taxied in, he said if the weather wasn't going bad, he would have me solo.

Two days later it was gorgeous and we were set to go at 2:30. When I got there the plane I had been flying (a 140) was getting ready to depart for a few laps around the pattern. Unfortunately, the plane never made it back. For reasons still not known, it went down on takeoff. The pilot didn't make it.

Between the crash, the post crash chaos (both at the field and in my head) and the weather, it was two weeks before we could go up again.

Since it was my first flight since the crash and in a different airplane (an archer II) I really didn't expect to today, but as I said, when he told me to do it, I knew I could.

Funny, but as much as I have wanted to solo, when it was time, I just knew - just like everyone said I would.

Thankfully my instructor felt that way at the same time I did :)

And while I was not happy with my landings, as he said - being able to solo is not about being "good", it is about being safe.

As someone else put it to me, There is a lot more work to getting "good" and I won't get there till long after I have gotten my certificate.

Congrats, now it goes faster, XC's, prepping for the ride, you'll be there soon!

Congrats! Recently did mine as well ... it was so quiet in there ... I ended up talking to myself the whole time! :wink2:

Congratulations! Such an amazing accomplishment to achieve. Best and craziest feeling you'll ever feel, nice work. After that first landing, it's all up hill from there.

Back