First Solo Cross Country!!!

Discussion in 'Pilot Training' started by Will Kumley, Oct 12, 2019 at 7:11 PM.

1. Will Kumley

Will Kumley Pre-Flight

Display Name:

Display name:
    Will
    Just got home from my first solo cross country. Departed KPWT, flew over 1WA7 (Elma) and then on to KHQM. Return was a little more direct as I went KHQM to KPWT via KSHN. All in all the flight was fairly uneventful and my ground speed checks were within 10 seconds of what I had planned on my Navlog. Oddly enough, my indicated airspeed was about 5-10 mph slower than what I had planned but my ground speed was pretty close, if anything my actual gs was 2-3 knots faster than planned in both directions so I know it wasn't a wind issue. Picked up flight following and made sure to stay to the south of KSHN to avoid any possible parachute jumpers. The landing at HQM was better than my landing at my home airport but the landing at PWT wasn't bad either. Think I'll have to take the wife out there after I get my ticket and can take passengers without an instructor sitting next to me. Now to see if the video and audio recorders worked for the flight. :) :) :)

2. Sport Pilot

Sport Pilot Pre-takeoff checklist

Display Name:

Display name:
    Student
    Congratulations to you!

Will Kumley likes this.
  3. Pete7AC

Pete7AC Filing Flight Plan

Display Name:

Display name:
    Pete7AC
    Good job!

Better executed than mine. I almost landed at the wrong airport...

4. MacFlier

MacFlier Pre-takeoff checklist

Display Name:

Display name:
    MacFlier
    Or mine where I could not find the airport and had to do a 360 looking for it. The I found it hiding behind tall trees....

5. Will Kumley

Will Kumley Pre-Flight

Display Name:

Display name:
    Will
    I’ve started watching YouTube videos of others landing at the airports I’m headed to before I go. Kinda gives an idea of the landmarks I should be looking for.

6. Will Kumley

Will Kumley Pre-Flight

Display Name:

Display name:
    Will
    My choice to use Elma as a checkpoint was called into question by the instructor prior to my flight as it’s hard to see if you’ve never been there before. Thankfully the cooling towers just south of it are super easy to see. I was practically on top of Elma before I saw the actual airport so I’m glad that discussion happened.

7. MIFlyer

MIFlyer Cleared for Takeoff PoA Supporter

Display Name:

Display name:
    MIFlyer
    Beautiful route! See u up there!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. jordane93

jordane93 Final Approach

Display Name:

Display name:
    Jordan
    Congrats! Good luck finishing your license.

9. Sinistar

Sinistar Pattern Altitude

Display Name:

Display name:
    Brad
    What was your TAS (computed from IAS)

10. Will Kumley

Will Kumley Pre-Flight

Display Name:

Display name:
    Will
    Planned an IAS of 115 mph which converts to 100 kph, actual on the airspeed indicator during flight was between 105-110 mph. Occasionally it would get to 115 but not often. Actual GS was roughly 103-105 kph for the duration of the flight. This was the case in both directions. I was also running about 2450 RPM's on the motor. I had it leaned for my altitude and any harder would have put me closer to the red line on the tach than I want to be.

Sinistar likes this.
  11. Deelee

Deelee Pre-takeoff checklist

Display Name:

Display name:
    Deelee
    Congrats!! Another milestone along the way to checkride. This is a big one - you flew by yourself from point a to point b and then back to point a. Nice feeling of freedom, isn't it?

12. Sinistar

Sinistar Pattern Altitude

Display Name:

Display name:
    Brad
    I used to live out there and would love to fly out there. Used to ride motorcycles from Bremerton/Bangor/ Silverdale to Ocean Shores.

So your IAS was between 105...110mph. I'll just guess a cruise altitude of 4500msl west bound, around +45F at altitude and pressure of around 29.85" which would be a TAS of 113mph...128mph.

By "kph" I think you mean knots per hour. It seems most people just write kts or knots (but mine is in mph too). So your TAS was then about 98kts...111kts. You said your ground speed was between 103kts...105kts. So seems the check out. If you were flying a bit lower than I guessed it would be even closer.

I hope I did that right...someone will be along to school me if i screwed it up.

No matter what...congratulations and this flatlanders envies the scenery!

13. Hang 4

Hang 4 Pre-takeoff checklist

Display Name:

Display name:
    Hang 4
    Minor nit, kph is kilometers/hour. Knots are nautical miles/hour. No per hour with knots.