First Solo Cross Country Story (LONG)

kimberlyanne546

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Kimberly
Okay, now for the real story . . . I am sorry this is long but I have been told that sometimes my training stories help other students who are just learning to fly . . . If this helps even one student out there I will be very happy. Here is what happened:

So I knew, in advance, that I was going to fly my first solo cross country on Saturday if the weather was good. Once I flew my solos two weekends ago, including one to the practice area, I had a flight lesson mid-week (shorts and softs) and felt "better" about my landings. They were definitely safe and I think my CFI was happy with them too. So after that "good" lesson he was very comfortable telling me to come in and present my flight plan to him on Saturday morning for a quick 15-minute meeting / sign off before he had to leave and fly with another student.

I did everything: made copies (enlarged) of the Ukiah page in the AFD, drew out approaches entering the 45, as I'd been taught, from my direction of flight depending on which runway / winds (so two options there), filed two flight plans with FSS (one there, one back), found out where to park (though I got it wrong) in case I wanted to walk around, picked several way points about every 5-10 minutes so I'd always have something to calculate / write down, wrote out everything I was going to say to both Oakland Radio (open flight plan) and Oakland Center (flight following), made special notes of high terrain, air space ceilings to avoid (there was a class D on the way up), made special notes of runways at Ukiah (no straight in approaches, different elevation so different TPA and right or left pattern or whatever).......

I could go on but I think you get the idea. Definitely prepared for this flight. Plus, I had been there before and it was "easy" to get to - just follow the 101 freeway which literally leads you to the runway - no joke.

I got to the flight school and knew there might be delays (early morning fog / marine layer burning off). I waited until everything cleared up and then finally departed. I spent my time there talking to people about flying and of course finishing up my "coming back" flight plan, something I haven't really used much before but wanted to go the extra mile this time.

I got gas, took off, and the only mistake I made was I said "Petaluma Traffic, Cessna 24498, departing two niner, crosswind departure, Petaluma". My instructor heard me later and questioned this. I realized that it was more of a straight out departure but had planned my climbs etc from the 800 feet I'd be at when turning crosswind. Oh well, small radio boo boo. Not too bad.

I turned to my heading (no VORs this trip, my instructor recommended practicing pillotage). I tuned in to the Oakland Radio and opened my flight plan. So far so good. I tuned in to Oakland Center and got my sqwak (sp?) code and got flight following. What was awesome was that the woman who was talking kept making mistakes (got my call sign wrong three times, kept apologizing to other pilots when they'd correct her with something like 'do you mean east not west'?) The reason this was awesome? Because it reminded me they are human too and they are not "God" or perfect.

So I'm flying (roughly) on my heading, trying to keep the altitude at whatever altitude it was, trying to keep my heading at whatever it was and reset the heading indicator every so often due to precess, etc. I'm timing myself between waypoints and writing down the times on my stopwatch, seeing which side of my plane the airports and freeways are on (right vs left so I know I'm not too far off my line of direct flight).....

When the woman on the radio calls my call sign and says something like "I'm going to lose you, sqwak 1200 radar service terminated" or something. I didn't think much of it but didn't have the airport in sight. Not to worry, I thought, I did what she said.

So I get to the airport, which I had planned to overfly if needed. Great news! I did not overfly. I saw it in time to get down to TPA, fly the 45, do an "OK" pattern, check the AWOS and CTAF, announce my turns, do a radio check, and land. No one around. I found out later I totally parked on the wrong side but the tie down said "Guest" so I didn't know any better. Since my instructor didn't make me "prove" I was there, I decided to step out of the plane, take pictures of the plane and the surrounding buildings, so later I could say "see? I was there!" He joked with me later after I showed him the photos "Are you sure that isn't Cloverdale? Are you sure you went to Ukiah?"

So nothing too eventful, winds are OK, weather is "perfect" (some haze but that is normal for summer), air is warm but not too hot at all (less than 80 maybe), and I decide to go back. I didn't really go more than a few steps from my plane, but I'm OK with that. For fun and giggles I thought I will never be back here, I should do at least one closed traffic pattern and landing, and then depart, so I did.

I radio'd Oakland Radio to open my flight plan on the way back. No problem there. The problem came when I made contact with Oakland Center. You see, I had flown back at about 1,000 feet lower than I had flown out and I was in between high hills / mountains. The controller said "Cessna 24498, I lost your transponder" or something like that. Though my instructor somewhat scolded me later since they didn't ASK ME TO DO ANYTHING ABOUT IT, I said to them "Oakland Center, Cessna 24498, Will Recycle My Transponder". Though I didn't really know what that meant, I turned it off and then on again, to test and then back to alt and (yes stupid I know) pushed "ident". They said nothing and after a few minutes I went on and asked if I was visible to them again. They said yes. However, shortly thereafter, they told me they lost me yet again and that I should sqwak 1200.

Now I was worried! Also, I was having issues with my number one radio (couldn't dial in frequencies, couldn't switch frequencies from standby to active which I later found out was because I'd switched to VOR tuning but at the time I was nervous and thought it was broken so I used my number two radio).

I grabbed my sectional and thought, OK great, I may or may not have a working transponder / encoding altimeter. My number one radio is not doing what I want and all I have now is my number two radio. Don't panic. I looked at the map, at all the airports on my way back: Cloverdale, Healdsburg, and Santa Rosa. First I dialed in Cloverdale and did a radio check. Then people said they could hear me loud and clear, I felt better in case I needed to hear anyone or in case I needed to talk to anyone. Cloverdale in sight, off to Healdsburg. Got out sectional, Healdsburg was on same frequency. No one there. Passed Healdsburg and then, though I was about 1,000 feet above the ceiling of their airspace, I tuned in to Santa Rosa Tower (class D) but did not speak. Sure enough, it was a busy day and I was concerned so I went far off to the left so as to stay out of the way of the "bigger planes" which were descending and landing at Santa Rosa just in case I didn't see them. I was a factor because several times the tower announced what I thought was "me" to other planes. They would say something like "Bonanza I show a plane we are not talking to, about 3 miles east, altitude showing xxxx" and that was my altitude. I was elated because this meant my transponder was NOT broken at all and they were looking out for me!

So nervously I looked for planes with my head on a swivel. When more than 5 miles away and out of their circle, I switched from Santa Rosa Tower to my home airport's AWOS and then CTAF. There were planes in the pattern but I got in and landed.

I will type my "long cross country" story another day..... all in all not a bad first solo cross country! I told my instructor about the possible transponder issue and he told me I'd have to make a go / no go decision when on my long cross country if ATC said it wasn't working (but he would still allow me to go). I told him "no" I would not and if they said they lost my transponder again (early on) I would just come home and have the maintenance guys look at it. Luckily that was not a factor and my long XC went on without too many issues.

EDIT: I forgot to add I may or may not have landed on the wrong runway when arriving at Ukiah. The reason I say this is because when I saw everyone else go to the other runway to depart, while I was resting and taking a break, and I checked the awos, the winds were favoring the OTHER runway. However, for whatever reason, when I came in to land, I announced several times the actual runway number that I did land on and I said my 45, my downwind, my base, my final, and my clear of whatever runway number it was..... though probably the wrong one!

Congratulations and I see that every student XC is eventful in its own way. I knew they would not be able to follow me precisely with radar, so that was not much of a worry like in your case, but the snow got under the windshield and ruined my radios... and unfortunately my home base is Class Charlie.

As far as preparations go, a member on PoA forums (with DC-3 in avatar) taught me to use Flight Guide to supplement A/F-D. I started pull out 2-3 pages with fields along the route and clip to kneeboard. Much less to write, and no longer I need to sketch runways (Flight Guide has diagrams for airports that are not commonly available at e.g. AIRNAV and AOPA). Maybe something to consider for you too.

You didn't land on the wrong runway - you landed on the one you said you would!

Congratulations and I see that every student XC is eventful in its own way. I knew they would not be able to follow me precisely with radar, so that was not much of a worry like in your case, but the snow got under the windshield and ruined my radios... and unfortunately my home base is Class Charlie.

As far as preparations go, a member on PoA forums (with DC-3 in avatar) taught me to use Flight Guide to supplement A/F-D. I started pull out 2-3 pages with fields along the route and clip to kneeboard. Much less to write, and no longer I need to sketch runways (Flight Guide has diagrams for airports that are not commonly available at e.g. AIRNAV and AOPA). Maybe something to consider for you too.

Thank you. Yes, in hind sight I realized my transponder was not "broken" but that it was due to where I was, my altitude, the surrounding terrain, etc. I also told my instructor about the radio problem and he went with me to the plane (we were concerned since that is the primary radio) and in fact I was wrong (imagine that) and had simply pushed a couple of buttons which made me not able to do what I wanted to do.

About the flight guide: first of all, another CFI has shown me one (a little binder with removeable pages, right?). They are not cheap but seem to be worth the price, they had details I didn't see on an AFD. I did not "draw the runway". The AFD has runway drawings. What I did was make a copy of the AFD page, enlarge it, and then draw my approach (for example if coming from the south and landing on runway number XX, where I fly as in out, then 45, right / left, etc. and the same for the other end of the runway).

Kimberly

You didn't land on the wrong runway - you landed on the one you said you would!

Well - we can look at it that way too! But still, I am a student, I am my own worst critic, and I think it is important to post all my "mistakes" here. So if there was a tailwind (I will never know / I forgot) then yes I landed on the "wrong" runway. However, there was no one around - the radio check guy said "I can hear you loud and clear and I'm all the way out at the coast" on the CTAF so I did not put anyone in danger. I did not see any planes (ones who may have had no radios) but the fact of the matter is I could have been better - if indeed the winds were blowing the other way then it was a bad choice to choose the runway that I did. Don't know why I did it, don't remember, it is over now, but I'll pay more attention next time. Probably the "runway xx is the calm wind runway" in the AFD throwing me off and making me think too much about that runway instead of calculating what the AWOS was telling me. I did listen to the AWOS so . . . um . . . stupid student error.

Kimberly

What did you do? Did you sqwak the "lost radio" code on your transponder and use light guns? Did you go to another airport? Did you call the class charlie tower on your cell phone? Or . . . ?

I am still learning, and would love to hear your story.

What I did was make a copy of the AFD page, enlarge it, and then draw my approach (for example if coming from the south and landing on runway number XX, where I fly as in out, then 45, right / left, etc. and the same for the other end of the runway).
Now I wish I were as obsessive as you, because a couple of times I flew up to a field, mentally planned my approach and pattern entry, and then realized that I mixed up directions of runways.

EDIT: I forgot to add I may or may not have landed on the wrong runway when arriving at Ukiah. The reason I say this is because when I saw everyone else go to the other runway to depart, while I was resting and taking a break, and I checked the awos, the winds were favoring the OTHER runway. However, for whatever reason, when I came in to land, I announced several times the actual runway number that I did land on and I said my 45, my downwind, my base, my final, and my clear of whatever runway number it was..... though probably the wrong one!

A similar thing happened to me when I was returning from my first XC solo. I dialed up AWOS when I was about 15 miles out, winds were favoring rwy 14, so I got my head ready for the appropriate pattern entry. After radar services were terminated and I switched to the CTAF, however, I heard that all the other traffic in the pattern was using rwy 32. Apparently the AWOS was transmitting faulty information, and the windsock validated that...

Now I wish I were as obsessive as you, because a couple of times I flew up to a field, mentally planned my approach and pattern entry, and then realized that I mixed up directions of runways.

First of all, I am not obsessed, I have NEVER done this before and I just wanted to be prepared.

Second of all, I STILL MESSED UP THE RUNWAY CHOICE!

Kimberly

PS - See why I am being prepared? Because I am directionally / spatially challenged, like, a lot. I say "never eat shredded wheat" - seriously. North East South West = NESW = Never Eat Shredded Wheat. You'd think by now if I was flying North and someone said turn East I'd turn right.... you'd think wrong. Not trying to sound dumb here, but hey I hate the compass thing. I will get it one day but for now I cheat by looking at my heading indicator etc.

Nice write up AND Congratulations!!

All seems normal to me for a first X-country. There was planning, some boredom, a bit of panic, some logical thinking and (hopefully!) some fun!

That's how the learning process goes, in the end all went well, no damage to anyone or anything and I'll bet your learned some things you won't ever forget.

It really does get easier as time goes on!

Gary

What did you do? Did you sqwak the "lost radio" code on your transponder and use light guns?
Water knocked off one radio and made another one switch back and forth randomly. It disrupted my communications with the Center, with which I was on Flight Following. At first I was going to divert to a satellite field, but then I tuned both halves of the second radio to the same frequency and got by with that. It probably was not the smartest thing to do, because when Approach handed me off to Tower, Tower reprimanded me for poor sound quality.

Go back to Ukiah in the fall, maybe around mid- late October. It's gorgeous. Then head west to pick up the coast at Point Arena for the return leg to Petaluma.

Nice write up AND Congratulations!!

All seems normal to me for a first X-country. There was planning, some boredom, a bit of panic, some logical thinking and (hopefully!) some fun!

That's how the learning process goes, in the end all went well, no damage to anyone or anything and I'll bet your learned some things you won't ever forget.

It really does get easier as time goes on!

Gary

Things learned:

1. Transponders don't always work

2. Radios don't always work

3. Pay more attention to runway vs AWOS vs windsock

4. Landings at a new airport don't always seem as good as they do at my home airport

5. I have the training and tools on board to deal with numbers 1 and 2 above.

Kimberly

Things learned:

1. Transponders don't always work

2. Radios don't always work

3. Pay more attention to runway vs AWOS vs windsock

4. Landings at a new airport don't always seem as good as they do at my home airport

5. I have the training and tools on board to deal with numbers 1 and 2 above.

Kimberly

:rofl:

Usually paraphrased as "stuff happens"! Ya did fine, keep flying and things will be fine.

Gary

:rofl:

Usually paraphrased as "stuff happens"! Ya did fine, keep flying and things will be fine.

Gary

Okay, here you go:

STUFF HAPPENS!

I am realizing this - no flight is "perfect". But it is tough to be "OK" with your own mistakes, since they are still mistakes! However, I do know that most students (and private pilots) make mistakes. I just need to get used to it.... as long as I do "my part" to prepare for each flight that is all I can do. The rest "just happens".

Congrats Kimberly. You did the flight, didn't get lost and didn't become the subject of an NTSB report. Life is good. Keep up the good work.

Congratulations! Sounds like you did very well.

On my long cross country solo (which was my first cross country solo) I made right traffic at a non-towered field - even though I had been there a number of times with my instructor and done the left traffic pattern correctly. It didn't even occur to me until I was well away towards my next stop.

Landing after my solo cross country was when I first felt like a pilot.

John

Good job Kimberly. Sounds like you did great and learned a few things on top of it. Getting close to that check ride now. Pretty exciting knowing you can find your way to another airport and back, isn't it. Enjoy the rest of your training. :)

Congratulations! Sounds like you did very well.

On my long cross country solo (which was my first cross country solo) I made right traffic at a non-towered field - even though I had been there a number of times with my instructor and done the left traffic pattern correctly. It didn't even occur to me until I was well away towards my next stop.

Landing after my solo cross country was when I first felt like a pilot.

John

True. I did / do feel like a pilot. Still so hard to believe they let me take their airplane so far away from them and trust that I will bring it back in one piece. Incredible feeling, just incredible. And the more I do these things the more they change my "real" life stuff too. Things that used to be a big deal seem so trivial. I am more confident, laid back, relaxed. It is a very cool thing, this whole aviation experience. And with the exception of a few douchebags who are not giving pilots a good name, I am discovering slowly but surely that ATC, Pilots, Line Guys, and FBOs are all mostly kind, generous, thoughtful, understanding people with a common interest / obsession.

Kimberly

My CFI made me always circle above the airport, especially a new airport, above pattern altitude. The idea was to get a feel for the airport rwy layout, check the windsock, check the traffic in the pattern, check for traffic that may be getting ready to take off, and to mentally slow down and get into "landing mode". Then go ahead, enter the pattern, and land. That still helps me. Check with your CFI first, before you try anything other than the way he is teaching you, though.

I know the feeling, too, about fumbling with radios and frequencies. On my first XC, maybe my second, I goofed up and tried to enter an ASOS freq into the NAV radio. I started getting frustrated, and should have just said - OK, calm down, and figure it out. Instead, I let myself get more frustrated until I realized what I was doing. D'oh. So, it doesn't sound like any big deals happened on your trip, other than you had some very high expectations of yourself!

Good job!

My CFI made me always circle above the airport, especially a new airport, above pattern altitude. The idea was to get a feel for the airport rwy layout, check the windsock, check the traffic in the pattern, check for traffic that may be getting ready to take off, and to mentally slow down and get into "landing mode". Then go ahead, enter the pattern, and land. That still helps me. Check with your CFI first, before you try anything other than the way he is teaching you, though.

I know the feeling, too, about fumbling with radios and frequencies. On my first XC, maybe my second, I goofed up and tried to enter an ASOS freq into the NAV radio. I started getting frustrated, and should have just said - OK, calm down, and figure it out. Instead, I let myself get more frustrated until I realized what I was doing. D'oh. So, it doesn't sound like any big deals happened on your trip, other than you had some very high expectations of yourself!

Good job!

Matt,

Yes I did tell my CFI that I was going to overfly at roughly 1,000 feet above TPA. He asked "do you need to?" and I said what you said, that I wanted to every time, to settle in, get familiar, see who's waiting at the hold short, etc. He said "we've been there before" followed with "fly over if you need to". So I took both into consideration, listened for traffic and there was none, and just "went for it". If it was a new airport you bet your socks I would fly over it at least once!

Kimberly

Sounds like it was a great learning experience for you and hopefully it was a great confidence builder - you had some unexpected challenges and handled them well.

What did suprise me about the flight was that it was your first time making that trip (ie without an instructor). For my x-countries, my CFI usually flew the trip dual with me before sending me out solo. Something I expect to do with my students when I get my CFI ticket. Had he done that, you would have been able to experience some of those nuances with a little assistance.

Regardless though - you did well!

About the flight guide: first of all, another CFI has shown me one (a little binder with removeable pages, right?). They are not cheap but seem to be worth the price, they had details I didn't see on an AFD. I did not "draw the runway". The AFD has runway drawings. What I did was make a copy of the AFD page, enlarge it, and then draw my approach (for example if coming from the south and landing on runway number XX, where I fly as in out, then 45, right / left, etc. and the same for the other end of the runway).

Kimberly

The flight guide looks like a miniature Jeppesen Approach Binder, if you've ever seen one of those - dark brown fake leather cover. The nice thing about the Flight Guide is that it will show the airport diagrams AND point out things like where the FBO(s), transient parking, fuel pumps...etc are.

Definitely worth the money.

Sounds like it was a great learning experience for you and hopefully it was a great confidence builder - you had some unexpected challenges and handled them well.

What did suprise me about the flight was that it was your first time making that trip (ie without an instructor). For my x-countries, my CFI usually flew the trip dual with me before sending me out solo. Something I expect to do with my students when I get my CFI ticket. Had he done that, you would have been able to experience some of those nuances with a little assistance.

Regardless though - you did well!

Hi there,

Actually I did go there with my instructor for a dual flight before that day.... a while ago. When we did, however, we did not use the radios (flight plan, flight following, etc). We started using radios on my other cross countries like to Sacramento, and Stockton, etc.

Plus it was a place you "couldn't get lost" - just follow the 101 freeway from my home airport to this Ukiah airport. Like a straight(ish) line. Couldn't get any easier, and both are untowered.

Kimberly

EDIT: this also means I "cheated" - used my old cross country flight plan from our dual cross country there. Well, I filled out a new one but my True Course, total miles, altitude, way points, distances between each, etc. were already figured out which was nice.

EDIT: this also means I "cheated" - used my old cross country flight plan from our dual cross country there. Well, I filled out a new one but my True Course, total miles, altitude, way points, distances between each, etc. were already figured out which was nice.

As long as you did the first one by yourself, that isn't cheating....just being an efficient pilot.

You still had to re-calculate the winds for the current flight right?

What did suprise me about the flight was that it was your first time making that trip (ie without an instructor).
I'm always surprised when I hear that instructors pre-fly the same trip with their students. I never did it that way nor did I teach it that way. The X-C's were supposed to be a new adventure.

As long as you did the first one by yourself, that isn't cheating....just being an efficient pilot.

You still had to re-calculate the winds for the current flight right?

Of course, and I reviewed my way points too. This was because - as we did more and more cross countries together - more than five in total even before my solo cross countries - I started to learn what made for "good" and "bad" / hard to see way points on a map.

So yes still plenty to do - file a flight plan, get a weather brief, use winds aloft information from weather brief to calculate times / ground speed / fuel consumption, fill out a new cross country sheet, etc.

I'm always surprised when I hear that instructors pre-fly the same trip with their students. I never did it that way nor did I teach it that way. The X-C's were supposed to be a new adventure.

We did do this short cross country together, before I ever flew it on my own as my first solo cross country. However, my long XC was to an airport I had never flown to..... though I had a flight plan for that one too already since we had "faked" it long ago and he diverted me after a waypoint or two. The second and third airports on my long cross country were ones I'd been to a lot of times so no "adventure" there either.

But honestly, for me, those little things were "OK" and comforting. I was happy to "somewhat know" where I was going.

Kimberly

I am realizing this - no flight is "perfect".

Yep, still looking for my first "perfect" flight.

But it is tough to be "OK" with your own mistakes, since they are still mistakes!

Just remember them, don't beat yourself up over them.

However, I do know that most students (and private pilots) make mistakes. I just need to get used to it.... as long as I do "my part" to prepare for each flight that is all I can do. The rest "just happens".

EVERYBODY makes mistakes. You did the proper planning, flew the airplane, and completed everything sucessfully. You can only control so many things, don't sweat the things you can't control. That being said, you did just fine when events happened that you didn't anticipate, Learning is exactly that, dealing with the unexpected.

Gary

I'm happy that I'm not the only student like that

I think all students are like us, especially when one day they do something good (like a greaser landing) and then get upset with themselves when the next ten landings are nowhere near as good. It is knowing what is expected of you, and perhaps even doing it well once or twice, and then either not doing it well ever again, forgetting one step involved in the manuever that you should have memorized by now, or just plain old having a bad day and carrying that "badness" into your flying of the airplane.

Kimberly

I think you did pretty well... it's just a training exercise minus the instructor, not a test, so you're supposed to learn new things (or have them illustrated clearly for the first time). :thumbsup:

My student solo XC's were places I'd never been to and I think that was a requirement at the flight school I trained at but I think the idea of making the first solo XC a repeat of a dual trip is a good one. I do agree that after the first one the destination ought to be new to the student in order to get the full effect.

My student solo XC's were places I'd never been to and I think that was a requirement at the flight school I trained at but I think the idea of making the first solo XC a repeat of a dual trip is a good one. I do agree that after the first one the destination ought to be new to the student in order to get the full effect.

My first student x-c was a duplicate of a dual flight. The second and third were to new airports. No big deal either way from my perspective. Ya gotta learn sometime but no rule sez ya gotta learn it on yer first.

Not trying to sound dumb here, but hey I hate the compass thing. I will get it one day but for now I cheat by looking at my heading indicator etc.

Just a familiarity thing. Once you use it for a while it'll become second nature. Compasses are weird. But they're predictable and they're the best instrument you have in that airplane. The good news is airplanes still fly if the radios and transponders stop working, so just keep that in mind. Sounds like you're moving right along!

I think all students are like us, especially when one day they do something good (like a greaser landing) and then get upset with themselves when the next ten landings are nowhere near as good. It is knowing what is expected of you, and perhaps even doing it well once or twice, and then either not doing it well ever again, forgetting one step involved in the manuever that you should have memorized by now, or just plain old having a bad day and carrying that "badness" into your flying of the airplane.

All of that happens to licensed pilots too. Hopefully just with less frequency. :)

There's areason it's called a "License to Learn"...

Last edited:

Yeah, that's what I thought too. I'm telling my instructor where I'm going on mine, not the other way around.

Sounds like you flew a perfect flight!
Stuff "went wrong" (aka not how you expected), you recognized it and responded accordingly. This (stuff going "wrong") happens on almost every flight - at least for me.
Congratulations, pilot! :D

Back