First solo coming up

MetalCloud

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
MetalCloud
.... and I'm a little nervous. I mean, I'm confident in my abilities but there's something about having my (awesome!) CFI with me.

I've loved this process, and I'm looking forward to every aspect of it. And this will be a damn cool feeling. Just need to relax and enjoy it.

Welcome to the forum,enjoy the joy of your first solo.

As soon as you announce your takeoff, and shove that throttle in, the last thing on your mind will be your cfi! :D

Yep, what woodchucker said. On the downwind you might look over and realize there's an empty seat, but you'll know exactly what to do. All will be fine. Enjoy the experience.

I soloed on 10/5/15. My CFI had me so well prepared and trained that my solo was really kind of anticlimactic. Don't get me wrong- I waited my whole life for that flight, and I'll never forget it. I felt comfortable, but very focused; calm and cool, but cautious. When I was taxiing back to the ramp is when it hit me that I can fly an airplane. A couple hours later the euphoria was still there! I dreamed about that flight for the next two nights. Relax, and understand that no CFI anywhere is going to endorse your log if they don't know for sure that you're ready.

My first solo was in the rain. I had to do two go around's before landing on the third try. I was sweating like a Clinton at a tax audit. I remember thinking on the third downwind. There's only two options, land or crash. Therefore I landed!

You all are AWESOME!!! Thank you!

He's done a great job training me. I respect him and he's been a perfectionist. I could have slammed it down on the runway quite a number of hours ago and moved on, but we work pretty well together. He knows I want to get it right, and he'll sign off when I do it correctly and consistently. I'm not in a rush.

But it will be a damn cool feeling for sure. Thanks for all the support and stories! Love it.

I'm not exactly sure when it'll be. But I think I'm ready. :)

Without the CFI on board, your climb performance will be better than you're used to. So monitor your altitude a bit closer than normal.

I was 200 feet above TPA before I caught my mistake on my first solo lap.

Enjoy your first taste of aviation freedom!

What Lachland said. If you are well prepared, there should be no need for nervousness. A little paranoia helps but don't let it distract you too much from enjoying the flight.

Not only she will climb like a bat out of hell, you will now also have visibility to the starboard side and you will now be newly responsible for checking that side (the CFI used to tell you "clear right", I assume).

Most of all, ENJOY YOUR SOLO and show your CFI that you are a safe and competent pilot!

I just soloed too. Nervous is normal. But when I got the plane started, it was all business...yes a tiny bit nervous after that, but once I got cleared for departure, there was no worry. All the training kicked in and no passenger (CFI) was needed.

I explained my feelings that day of solo as follows: it was like a mix of going to the dentist (which I don't like, but know I have to do) and Christmas Eve as a kid (we opened presents in the morning after Santa came).

You will rock it!

My first solo, I was super confident but still a bit nervous. Once the wheels left the ground it was all business. And because there was no safety blanket in the right seat, you will be more alert and focused. I kept an eye on my altitude, speed, position in relation to the runway on downwind (no wind drift into final, etc).

Enjoy it, it's gonna be one for the memory banks.

for some reason, on your solo you will hear strange noises coming from the plane and engine that you have never heard before. I'm tellin ya, you might catch yourself saying "what was that noise....what was THAT..........WHAT IS THAT NOISE?!??!?" just focus and have a blast! it's a fun day you won't forget.

I was quite a jumble of nerves for my entire solo. So don't sweat it if you turn out the same. Just keep reminding yourself that your CFIs butt is on the line also and he wouldn't have signed you off if you weren't ready. Just fly the plane as you've been taught and try and enjoy yourself!

What my CFI told me when he hopped out.
You know how to do this and if things don't look right, you always have the go around as an option.

I'm hoping to solo in the next few weeks myself, good luck, have fun.

"Don't hit the ground and don't hit other planes, k?" That is what my CFI told me... Lol

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I'd like to re-live my first solo again ;) no, seriously, enjoy the moment!!!

Hahaha!! You're all awesome. I'm sure my CFI will say something reassuring and followed by something snarky. Lol

Did anyone record theirs? Was thinking it would be cool, but I don't really want to stress about it. Plenty of time to record stuff.

This is going to be awesome. Keep the thoughts and one-liners coming!

...Did anyone record theirs? Was thinking it would be cool, but I don't really want to stress about it. Plenty of time to record stuff. ....

ugh, you're gonna get al kinds of responses, but yes I recorded mine but my mic was hosed, I'm still ****ed about it. I video'd all my training flights, it took me 2.3 seconds to set up my camera, which I did before my CFI was even in the plane, and I never once paid a single minute of attention to it once the plane was fired up. if you can do that, then HELLZ YES, record it. I watch mine every now and then and it puts a huge smile on my face each time. well, after I get over not having a working mic, but yeah, I recommend it if you can 'set it and forget it'.

Yeah. Thing is I think he'll surprise me. But I can have it in my bag and just fix it after he steps out. I'll grab everything tonight and throw it in my bag just in case. Would love to have it captured

Hahaha!! You're all awesome. I'm sure my CFI will say something reassuring and followed by something snarky. Lol

Did anyone record theirs? Was thinking it would be cool, but I don't really want to stress about it. Plenty of time to record stuff.

This is going to be awesome. Keep the thoughts and one-liners coming!

Yup, I recorded mine. I had my solo on May 3 and I still enjoy showing it to people even though it pretty boring....three laps around the pattern, whoo-hoo, right?? My video isn't the best....it shows me flying the plane with an empty right seat but the camera view sucks otherwise :lol:

BTW....once I started taxiing out, it was no problem putting the camera out of my mind and focusing on what I had to do.

Sweet. And I love hearing all these first solo stories!!

Sitting here thinking mine will be like, "ok. Done. What's next?" Lol

it might be tomorrow. Feel like Keanu Reeves: "Whoa"

We'll see. Excited.

Damn I love flying!! I'm so glad I started. Looking forward to enjoying this for a long, long time.

I recorded mine as well. Wasn't a big deal and didn't distract me at all once I turned it on.

I was nervous as heck, but once I left the ground, all the training and all the hours of flying the pattern kicked in. As I lifted off for the first time on my own I remember how much better the plane performed, and how quickly it got to TPA without the extra 200 pounds. I also remember saying to myself...ok now you gotta land this thing. They were 3 of the best landing I ever had.
Even the tower said "nice job". Something I will never forget...right up there with the birth of my kid.:thumbsup:

Enjoy, MetalCloud. Nothing else in life like flying (not that there aren't other things that are enjoyable, just not the same). You will do a great job. Just keep doing what you have been doing.

Well, SOLO COMPLETE!!!!

That sneaky bastard. We did pattern work this morning, and right when we cleared the runway on the second landing I saw him key the mic. I KNEW something was up.

"Palo Alto Tower, we're going to pull over and let me out for student solo."

So awesome. He said a few words of encouragement then left me with this:

"Remember the cardinal rule of aviation: don't hit anything. See ya."

Nailed it!!! 3 landings, slight crosswind, and felt effing AMAZING! You guys were right. I wasn't nervous at all. Just did what we had done.

Looking forward to much, much more of this.

And seriously thank you all for the support and encouragement. I know I'm a new member here, but you all made it easier and special!

Last edited:
That is awesome, congratulations!

Congrats. There is no feeling quite like it.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Awesome! Its a great feeling!! Won't be long and you will be off on your solo XC!!

Congratulations! Things will start to get really fun now!

Oh hell yeah!!! Can't wait.

Congrats! Video?

No video :( Have the GoPro and audio cables are coming today. It's ok. It was a perfect experience.

Awesome! Its a great feeling!! Won't be long and you will be off on your solo XC!!

Now *that* is going to be badass!! I can't wait.

It surprised me how relaxed I was yesterday. I think that's why he let me. He saw that I finally just chilled and didn't over-think or over-react. Flying again tomorrow.

I'm already like, "new plane? G1000?" And I'm sure he's thinking, "slow down there, hoss!"

Oh hell yeah!!! Can't wait.

No video :( Have the GoPro and audio cables are coming today. It's ok. It was a perfect experience.

Now *that* is going to be badass!! I can't wait.

It surprised me how relaxed I was yesterday. I think that's why he let me. He saw that I finally just chilled and didn't over-think or over-react. Flying again tomorrow.

I'm already like, "new plane? G1000?" And I'm sure he's thinking, "slow down there, hoss!"

Ha, I hear ya, I got a free upgrade to a g1000 on my 3rd or 4th lesson. It was neat, but I was chasing the numbers a lot. It is so sensitive compared to the needles.

Well, SOLO COMPLETE!!!!

That sneaky bastard. We did pattern work this morning, and right when we cleared the runway on the second landing I saw him key the mic. I KNEW something was up.

"Palo Alto Tower, 48V is going to pull over and let me out for student solo."

So awesome. He said a few words of encouragement then left me with this:

"Remember the cardinal rule of aviation: don't hit anything. See ya."

Nailed it!!! 3 landings, slight crosswind, and felt effing AMAZING! You guys were right. I wasn't nervous at all. Just did what we had done.

Looking forward to much, much more of this.

And seriously thank you all for the support and encouragement. I know I'm a new member here, but you all made it easier and special!

Man, I found out a day late or I'd have been out there by Row J with a big sign with numbers on it. :D

Congrats.

It was a good day to fly yesterday. Were there any old farts with little kids outside the fence by the run up area?

Holy **** that 172 is expensive. $155/hour? Yikes.

Last edited:
Back