First Solo - 16th Birthday!!

HPNPilot1200

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Jason
Well this morning was truely an awesome morning -- I woke up early, started my day reading "happy 16th birthday" text messages left on my cell-phone and then headed out to the airport to fly with the Chief CFI of my flight school for an hour.

After that was all set and the Chief CFI gave me the thumbs up, my CFI signed my Student Pilot Certificate and signed the two logbook endorsements and the next thing I knew, I was all by myself! What an awesome experience.

I was initially given clearance to taxi to runway 34 here at KHPN (Westchester) and later departed that runway, but then Tower had to switch me to runway 29 (ALD: 3154') due to numerous IFR biz-jets inbound on the "Sound Visual 34." When you do left-closed-traffic on runway 29, the tower requests that you fly your downwind over the numbers of runway 34, which sets you up on a tight downwind, but it all worked out; 3 smooth full-stop landings.

That tower sure had me busy, changing my runway, changing controllers on me (3 times), looking for AirTran B717s, Cirrus', Falcons', and Challengers', and other traffic, but I was on the ball and caught it all -- and am proud to say: I solo-ed this morning.......on my 16th birthday.

As I look back in my logbook:
First Lesson: 12/15/02.....N5286C.....Dual Received: 0.7
First Solo: 11/20/06........N5286C......Dual Received: 0, Solo/PIC: 0.7

Same plane, same student (or kid...:p), same dream, 4 years later; first solo.

Here are some photos: http://hpnpilot1200.org/gallery/firstsolo

I also recorded the audio output from the intercom, but apparently my digital recorder only had 5 minutes of power left, so it only caught my start-up and taxi.

Attachments

• solosmall.jpg
    solosmall.jpg
    291.3 KB · Views: 31
  • shirt_back.jpg
    shirt_back.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 32
Last edited:
Good work man. If there is anyone who could handle goofy controller requests on their first solo, you are it! Any plans to learn to drive now?

Congrats Jason. Wish I had done it when I was younger!

I'm curious - you list Wilton/Danbury as location but fly out of Westchester?

I did my PPL at DXR - wouldn't that be closer?

Congrats! Now you have a year to buzz around and have fun. I was looking through my logbook last night. The day that I got signed off to solo I flew 5 more flights before I flew with the instructor again. All of them were just buzzing around locally having fun.

Congrats Jason!! Now you get to look forward to your solo x-country. I soloed in september 2002 when I was 25. You have started early so you will have tons of hours by the time you are my age. Keep up the good work.

bstratt said:
Congrats Jason. Wish I had done it when I was younger!

I'm curious - you list Wilton/Danbury as location but fly out of Westchester?

I did my PPL at DXR - wouldn't that be closer?

Thanks, all.

I initially started my training out of HPN, then switched to DXR for some time, but I eventually became disappointed with the aircraft, instructors, and cost, so I switched back to HPN. I'm extremely satisfied with Panorama at HPN and their well-maintained aircraft, professional instructors, and beautiful new building are all great features. But to answer your question, DXR is closer, but it only takes me 30-45 minutes to get to HPN, and since my dad has been based there for over 25 years, it's like home there.

Jason

Solo an airplane before you get a drivers license. Is this a great country, or what?

Way to go, birdman.

Good goin' and happy birthday, Jason. You sure that's really your picture without the shades in your avatar?

Woohoo! Congrats! I thought you were older than that though? Funny.

Awesome!!! :goofy:

Now, go listen to the First Solo episode of Airspeed (his best yet IMHO). When it finishes, say "Jason, Cessna 172, November 20th, 2006." :)

Jason,

What a fantastic way to spend your 16th. Congrats!

Congrats Jason ,and HAPPY BIRTHDAY. Now the next time you come to LNS you might be able to fly yourself there. Dave G

I didn't know you're (now) 16! Way to go man! Sounds like a great B-Day

Congrats! :cheerswine:

I wish I had started earlier, ANY earlier than 41!!! Good for you at 16!!!

Congratulations! ------------------------------------------------
IFR next.
- Aunt Peggy

Congratulations Jason. That's quite a feat that most of us can't ever do. My first was 38 and we won't even talk about the license. Welcome the the ranks.

Jason, I'll echo everyone else here - I knew you were 16, but you do NOT articulate yourself like a 16 year old! easily double your own age - very impressive! and congrats again on the solo - it's a day you will always remember (and now I can say that and know what I am talking about).

woodstock said:
Jason, I'll echo everyone else here - I knew you were 16, but you do NOT articulate yourself like a 16 year old! easily double your own age - very impressive! and congrats again on the solo - it's a day you will always remember (and now I can say that and know what I am talking about).
Thanks, Elizabeth. That is really kind of you. Aviation, besides being an awesome and rewarding industry, is an amazing passion of mine and I always strive to act just as mature as I am serious about it. Apparently, that mind set has led me in the right direction.

Thanks again!
Jason

It helps that you know a crapload about the behind the scenes stuff. When I have ATC questions, I call Jason. Having a supportive aviation family helps a ton too.

Jason,

When you're 50 and you have a nervous pax on the airplane, and they ask, "So, how long have you been flying?" you can say, "About 35 years." You'll be able to see the relief.

Congratulations on your solo. You are a fortunate young man.

Congrats & Happy Birthday.

I celebrated my 16th birthday by going to my job... ugh!

Back