First Snow!

ScottM

Taxi to Parking
Display Name

Display name:
iBazinga!
This is view out the front window today. It started to snow about 30 minutes ago. Supposed to be a winter storm all day. Have I said what the heck was I thinking when I moved here?

Been cold all week and is currently 28F.

Attachments

• FirstSnow.JPG
    FirstSnow.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 46
yea scott it started snowing or something here this morning between 7 and 10. snow pellets i guess is what you could call it. basically ice. supposed to switch to freezing rain soon and maybe straight rain later on tonight. crummy crummy weather. so i think ill just sit here and watch star wars.

Yeah headed here to New England tomorrow.
Welcome to winter!

Hmmm.... Well, enjoy
snowing2.gif
up there!

Down here... KGVL 011853Z AUTO 10009KT 10SM CLR 16/M03 A3035 RMK AO2 SLP273 T01611028

And, it's showing 68° outside my front door.

:)

Yeah headed here to New England tomorrow.
Welcome to winter!

We will send up what's left. It looks like Delaware is on the snow/freezing rain line for a Sunday event.

I think I'll head to the airport for some seat time today and sit by the fire tomorrow and watch football while we get the first taste of winter.

Hmmm.... Well, enjoy
snowing2.gif
up there!

Down here... KGVL 011853Z AUTO 10009KT 10SM CLR 16/M03 A3035 RMK AO2 SLP273 T01611028

And, it's showing 68° outside my front door.

:)

kenny have i told you lately that i hate your guts?

[FONT=Monospace,Courier]KCID 011952Z AUTO 15025G34KT 1 1/4SM -FZRAPL BR BKN011 OVC016 M01/M02 A2985 RMK AO2 PK WND 15034/1952 FZRAB01 [/FONT]

[FONT=Monospace,Courier]KCID 011952Z AUTO 15025G34KT 1 1/4SM -FZRAPL BR BKN011 OVC016 M01/M02 A2985 RMK AO2 PK WND 15034/1952 FZRAB01 [/FONT]

KDPA 011934Z 10011G19KT 4SM -FZRA BR BKN027 OVC050 M03/M06 A3021 RMK AO2 FZRAB34SNE34 PRESFR P0004

Hey, there's your chance to go practice XW landings... on skis! :D

yea, and get that work ive been needing in iced up takeoffs

Freezing rain here last night. Roads were slick as hell. Still looks slippery--not planning on driving.

Mostly ice here. We got a bit of pre-dawn snow, followed by a little sleet around sunrise, and it's been freezing-rain'ing off-and-on all day. Just sitting here waiting for the wind to pick up an bust all the ice-covered power lines.

I thought I left this crap in Alabama!!!! :mad:

I hate winter.

Mostly ice here. We got a bit of pre-dawn snow, followed by a little sleet around sunrise, and it's been freezing-rain'ing off-and-on all day. Just sitting here waiting for the wind to pick up an bust all the ice-covered power lines.

I thought I left this crap in Alabama!!!! :mad:

I hate winter.
You thought you left it back south? :dunno:

Winter must really be coming. We hard our first "Storm Watch" on the news yesterday and the roads backed up like it was raining glue.

You thought you left it back south? :dunno:

Just ice in general. Where I grew up, we might get 1-2 inches of snow per winter, but 3-4 inches of ice per winter. When I moved up here to Iowa, I was expecting to only have to deal with snow, which you can move out of the way and continue on your way. Ice = ruin your day(s).

We had snow last week, but its mostly just been deathly cold in the mornings as I head to work. 19 degrees one day. Yikes.

power was out for about an hour and a half here, shortly after the precip switched to rain

That's nothin'!

KMSN 011853Z 12013KT 1/4SM +SN FZFG VV002 M05/M07 A3019 RMK AO2 TWR VIS 1/2 PRESFR SLP239 SNINCR 1/3 P0006 T10501067

If that damn airliner hadn't closed the field I'd have taken the Seneca for a spin. ;) :rofl:

I tell ya what, living up here certainly makes you learn all the METAR codes. Heavy snow, freezing fog, vertical visibility 2, pressure falling rapidly, OK... But I hadn't even seen the SNINCR 1/3 before. Here is what it means, from the Federal Meteorological Handbook No. 1, Chapter 12:

y. Snow Increasing Rapidly (SNINCR_[inches-hour/inches on ground]).
At designated stations, the snow increasing rapidly remark shall be
reported, in the next METAR, whenever the snow depth increases by 1 inch
or more in the past hour. The remark shall be coded in the format,
SNINCR [inches-hour/inches on ground], where SNINCR is the
remark indicator, inches-hour is the depth increase in the past hour,
and inches on ground is the total depth of snow on the ground at
the time of the report. The depth increase in the past hour and the total
depth on the ground are separated from each other by a solidus "/".
For example, a snow depth increase of 2 inches in the past hour with a
total depth on the ground of 10 inches would be coded "SNINCR 2/10".

My wife and I came up here to Minneapolis yesterday to do some Christmas shopping at the Mall of America. We went over to the mall about nine this morning, and came out at 6:00 to a foot of snow. I threw the truck into four-wheel drive, and got back to the motel. We bought a couple of bottles of wine at the mall for Christmas Eve, so we decided to order a pizza delivered, pop one of the bottles open early, and hole up until the weather clears. Right now, I'm singing "let it snow, let it snow, let it snow".

My WeatherBug(for Wiscasset, ME Airport) is showing 15°F right now. That's only about 6nm from my hill, so it's probably about the same here. The wind has been howling all day, setting for a brrrr chill factor. We're supposed to get nailed for a couple days; winds 25, gusts to 35 on Monday. I've yet to try the Gravely tractor/snow blower I bought used back in July but, apparently, the opportunity is nigh so I went to town and replenished my 5 gal. gas can today.

Leaves, Scott, leaves; you didn't do the leaves.

I may have raked out plenty of leaves -- and this only shows part of it -- but I'm for sure not going to shovel the area. The house's concrete foundation, on both ends and on the upper side, was poured when tons of ledge was blasted out. I think when the original clearing was done trees were dropped and just left to biodegrade, although many show evidence of storm topples over the years. Who ever said, "Living in the country is a lark," may the bird of paradise fly up his .....

HR

Attachments

• Georgetown raked.jpg
    Georgetown raked.jpg
    265.6 KB · Views: 12
  • Truck Load2a.jpg
    Truck Load2a.jpg
    305.1 KB · Views: 14
  • Georgetown Tree Removal.jpg
    Georgetown Tree Removal.jpg
    240.3 KB · Views: 10
Leaves, Scott, leaves; you didn't do the leaves.
I leave 'em on the ground. I stopped mowing the lawn in late September. With the leaves on it provides a nice layer of mulch that I'll mow all together in the spring. I never fertilize my lawn as I am on a well and I don't like all the chemicals in my water. I still have a bunch of yard waste to burn though. I was going to do it today but the winds were supposed to be stronger than what they turned out to be.

This is view out the front window today. It started to snow about 30 minutes ago. Supposed to be a winter storm all day. Have I said what the heck was I thinking when I moved here?

Been cold all week and is currently 28F.

I started driving when it started snowing. Hadta get to town for the memorial service. I was dodging Toyotas creeping along at 20 MPH because Oh, lawd! the road the was white with snow dust! (At that point the snow wasn't even accumulating.)

Then afterwards I had to chip the car out of the show and ice layer twice.

Even thought the roads were well-plowed, there were 2-3 cars in the ditch on I-90 and Rt 53. Why izzit that drivers have seasonal Alzheimer's and forget how to handle dis stuff?

I drove for a few hours getting back, making a few errands. I stopped by pet stores to prepare for the dawg.

Then when I got home I figured I need to get that rain soaked snow off the driveway while it's wet and the temps are above freezing lest the next time I try it's frozen like set concrete. That stuff is HEAVY!

I gotta get me a tractor with a snow plow.

Last edited:
It's not quite as warm today. Dang it!

KGVL 021553Z AUTO 10008KT 10SM OVC012 11/M02 A3032 RMK AO2 SLP265 T01111017

Just 58° outside my front door, today. :(

Just got rain here, and some chill wind. Came in fast, yesterday afternoon we flew to SGH and ate ice cream at Young's Dairy. Beat the system back.

It really doesn't bother me all that much. Here we have lots of little indignities like snow and rain. No fires, no earthquakes, nothing to get us on CNN. We don't name our storms. We don't have to. And the Governor doesn't have to go to the State House to pray for rain. Heck, if it was that bad we'd have been rationing before things got to such a point.;)

My wife and I came up here to Minneapolis yesterday to do some Christmas shopping at the Mall of America. We went over to the mall about nine this morning, and came out at 6:00 to a foot of snow. I threw the truck into four-wheel drive, and got back to the motel. We bought a couple of bottles of wine at the mall for Christmas Eve, so we decided to order a pizza delivered, pop one of the bottles open early, and hole up until the weather clears. Right now, I'm singing "let it snow, let it snow, let it snow".

Wait a minute...you were in the mall from 9 am to 6 pm? I haven't spent that much cumulative time in malls in my 40 years on earth!:eek:

Just got rain here, and some chill wind. Came in fast, yesterday afternoon we flew to SGH and ate ice cream at Young's Dairy. Beat the system back.

It really doesn't bother me all that much. Here we have lots of little indignities like snow and rain. No fires, no earthquakes, nothing to get us on CNN. We don't name our storms. We don't have to. And the Governor doesn't have to go to the State House to pray for rain. Heck, if it was that bad we'd have been rationing before things got to such a point.;)
The problem isn't rationing as it is the damn Army Corps of Incompetence.

Recall management of the NOLA dams? Well, the Corps continues to release water down stream for the flippin' mussels in Florida that are apparently more important than the northern and central part of the state where the water originates.

It has been stated the release is more than twice what would be received downstream in a normal flow without the dam. Lake Lanier is down by nineteen feet. Georgia is some eighteen inches behind on rain fall for the year and not catching up.

The Corps cut flow by 5%. That's hardly enough. It's rather odd that the reservoirs managed by the state as well as Georgia Power are dang near full. So, to make a comment on use of water is unfair since the entire story is not quite being told by the media.

Wait a minute...you were in the mall from 9 am to 6 pm? I haven't spent that much cumulative time in malls in my 40 years on earth!:eek:

But you haven't been to the Mall of America. There's enough 'extra' stuff to do there that you could nearly spend all day and not shop at all. ha

Snowed off and on yesterday in Olympia (south Puget Sound area) and got serious last night. Was still snowing some this morning until it turned back to rain around 8:30 AM. It's all melted off the roads and we back to slush. To top it off the power went out at home around 1:30 and was off for a couple hours. Shut down the computers as all the UPSs were alarming (they're there to allow a normal shutdown, rather than stuff simply dumping) and the cable modem connection was down (guess Comcast lost one or more nodes out here). Brought everything back up when the power was restored.

It's supposed to be windy tonight and tomorrow. Oh well, wasn't planning on flying anyway.

We even joined in with about 3 inches of snow in North Seattle yesterday. Fired up infrared propane heaters in the hangar and shop and have been slogging through the slush today as the rain falls for now.

I got to experience deicing for the first time tonight. Boston picked up about 2 inches of snow in an hour starting an hour before we were supposed to be off the gate...that spells delays in any language.

I particularly enjoyed this paragraph from the winter wx warning, though:

TRAVEL WILL BE DIFFICULT DURING THIS STORM. CONSIDER CANCELING OR
POSTPONING ACTIVITIES. IF DRIVING...SLOW DOWN WHEN THE SNOW
BEGINS TO FALL. REMEMBER...SPEED KILLS--NOT SNOW. INCREASING
NORTHEAST WINDS WILL CREATE BLOWING AND DRIFTING SNOW IN MANY OPEN
AREAS.

Makes me glad I'm working the next three days.

Makes me glad I'm working the next three days.
I'd rather be up there than one of the idiots rushing at the last minute trying to get to the airport. Heck, if the money was there I'd say at a cheap place near the airport!

http://www.pinkgrading.com/jd%20plows%20angle.jpg

There ya go. That should take care of you this winter until you can upgrade to something more powerful like this:

http://www.grouser.com/products/dozers/images/4100pic1.jpg

:D :D :D :D

On second thought, maybe this is all you need:
http://www.keithwhite.us/rnsnowplow.jpg

That woud be nioce. I coudl do my too-wide driveway in one pass.

I checked John Deere and saw that they think you need 3 acres to get a tractor of the size. I have 3/4 acre. :dunno:

I checked out the larger two-stage Toro snowblower at Ace. It looks more like it. I'll just have to sell my new "big" 2 cycle single stage Toro and get the biggest.

As it was, I shoveled the wet stuff off in the pouring rain in fear of the coming hard freeze. I'm still sore.

The problem isn't rationing as it is the damn Army Corps of Incompetence.

Recall management of the NOLA dams? Well, the Corps continues to release water down stream for the flippin' mussels in Florida that are apparently more important than the northern and central part of the state where the water originates.

It has been stated the release is more than twice what would be received downstream in a normal flow without the dam. Lake Lanier is down by nineteen feet. Georgia is some eighteen inches behind on rain fall for the year and not catching up.

The Corps cut flow by 5%. That's hardly enough. It's rather odd that the reservoirs managed by the state as well as Georgia Power are dang near full. So, to make a comment on use of water is unfair since the entire story is not quite being told by the media.

Ahh, typical southern conservative. Historic drought with zero action by anyone for remediation causes huge problem. Answer: blame someone else.

Here's what we're lookin' at for today:

[FONT=Monospace,Courier]KAUG 031406Z AUTO 02011KT 1/2SM -SN FZFG VV006 M07/M08 A2962 RMK AO2 P0000[/FONT]
KAUG 031120Z 031212 04013G21KT 1/4SM +SN FZFG VV003
TEMPO 1216 1 1/2SM -SN BR OVC009
FM1800 03013G23KT 1/2SM SN FZFG OVC002
FM0000 02013G23KT 3/4SM -SN BR OVC002
FM0300 36017G27KT 1SM -SN BLSN BR OVC009
FM1000 35019G31KT 3SM -SHSN BLSN OVC012

Ahh, typical southern conservative. Historic drought with zero action by anyone for remediation causes huge problem. Answer: blame someone else.
Actually, folks have already been pretty conservative on water useage. The rates are so dang high, it's unreal. Very rarely have I gone above the minium billing quantitiy.

Is it blame someone else? Yes, it is. And, I gave a comparison for the basis.... those resevoirs maintained by the Army Corps versus those maintained by Georgia Power Company.

Note: Management by government versus private enterprise. It should also be noted Fulton County and the City of Atlanta had leakage in fire hydrants and suppy pipes for years. They had not cracked down on the repairs until about four months ago. So, it's still largely blamed on government management.

All Water Supply Lakes in Georgia

Resevoirs Managed by Georgia Power

Lakes Managed by Army Corps
1 - Allatoona Lake
2 - Carters Lake
3 - George W. Andrews Lake
4 - Hartwell Lake
5 - J. Strom Thurmond Lake
6 - Lake Sidney Lanier
7 - Richard B. Russell Lake
8 - Seminole Lake
9 - Walter F. George Lake
10 - West Point Lake

Now, look at the differences between the lists. Notice those managed exclusively by Georgia Power are nearly full.

So, blame someone else? You damn right. The blame goes to the Army Corps of Engineers.

Back