First Simulated Single Engine Landing (Multi)

ARFlyer

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
ARFlyer
Did my first single engine approach and landing today for my multi training. I was also under the hood shooting an ILS, which made it quite an interesting experience.

I noticed that I was having a hard time keeping the aircraft banked into the good engine while also trying to track the localizer. Flying during Tropical Storm Bill didn't help this situation. I also noticed that I needed to have the good engine almost to idle to even descend slightly above glideslope. Which would cause me to rapidly increase the power whenever I got towards minimums.

Surprised that he started you out landing OEI shooting an ILS. You'll work it out though

After a few times, it becomes as automatic as holding right rudder in a climb. You'll find the airplanes "sweet spot" on bank soon and things will become much easier.

After a few times, it becomes as automatic as holding right rudder in a climb. You'll find the airplanes "sweet spot" on bank soon and things will become much easier.

Yeah, I've found the sweet spot with visual flying. But like you said I'll find it with instrument flying.

Good bird. Just take note of what the instruments are saying when you hit that sweet spot visual. Make them look the same under the hood. I know it sounds obvious, but it helped me.

Even more exciting to do it in actual with a 400 ft overcast.

Always training and never expecting it.

I was departing Albuquerque one night in a Cessna 414, and through 16,000 I noticed the right engine has NO OIL PRESSURE.

How the heck did that happen? That gauge must be wrong. This is a brand new engine, how can anything be wrong with it?

Uh oh..... better shut it off while I can. Power to idle, prop into feather....wait for it, prop stops, mixture off, fuel pump off, mags off, alternator off..... gotta tell departure whats going on.

Before calling departure I need to tell the med crew what is happening. Seems they have already noticed the right propeller is not turning anymore. I click on their intercom and tell them what happened and why I shut the engine down. Hee hee..... look at them sweat, even in the middle of winter.

What? Oh... departure is asking why I stopped climbing, I better tell them why. They understand. Oh good, they are moving other airplanes away from me. They are asking me what I want to do.... get back to ABQ of course.

The controller must be a pilot. He states that he does not want me to turn into the dead engine.... good, I wasn't planning that. The controller works it out so that I make all left turns to intercept the localizer. Then he gives me the current weather. Calm winds.... visibility 10, 500 scattered, 1000 broken, 1200 overcast......and tops reported at 3000. Ok, thanks, won't spend too much time in the clouds.

Now the controller ask if I want the trucks standing by..... sure, they need something to do.... meanwhile I get on the sat phone and call dispatch to let them know why I turned around. He tells me he will arrange a rescue flight to come get us.... thanks, no need to stay here all night.

Getting close to the airport.... glideslope good, localizer good.... middle marker, time for the gear, clunk clunk.... three green, always good to see that..., first notch on the flaps.... should see the ground soon,,.... rabbits in sight.... runway in sight.... flaps..... still three green on the gear..... hold that speed, don't get slow.

Wow... look at all the red lights waiting for me.... getting close to the ground..... full flaps..... hold that rudder, keep center line.....

Mains touch down.... I tell the controller that if I can keep my taxi speed up I can get to the ramp.... he tells me that is fine, taxi to the ramp, stay with me.... nose wheel on the ground....

Man.... look at the trucks racing to keep up with me.... tell the med crew we are on the ground and they start breathing again.

We park at the ramp. The trucks finally catch up..... I get out of the plane and a fire/rescue person is walking towards me. I hold out my hand and introduce myself and thank him for doing his job. I apologize to him for getting everyone up at this hour and in the freezing cold. He laughs and tells me that it is his job.

Before we enter the FBO I tell the med crew to not talk to anyone except on were we will eat.... man, look at the crowd in the FBO.... wonder what they are doing here at 2am? Someone says a plane landed after losing an engine.....well, I sure hope they find that engine....

Most of multi engine training is flying on one engine. Train well and if it happens for real you will be ready.

Last edited:
Always training and never expecting it.

I was departing Albuquerque one night in a Cessna 414, and through 16,000 I noticed the right engine has NO OIL PRESSURE.

How the heck did that happen? That gauge must be wrong. This is a brand new engine, how can anything be wrong with it?

Uh oh..... better shut it off while I can. Power to idle, prop into feather....wait for it, prop stops, mixture off, fuel pump off, mags off, alternator off..... gotta tell departure whats going on.

Before calling departure I need to tell the med crew what is happening. Seems they have already noticed the right propeller is not turning anymore. I click on their intercom and tell them what happened and why I shut the engine down. Hee hee..... look at them sweat, even in the middle of winter.

What? Oh... departure is asking why I stopped climbing, I better tell them why. They understand. Oh good, they are moving other airplanes away from me. They are asking me what I want to do.... get back to ABQ of course.

The controller must be a pilot. He states that he does not want me to turn into the dead engine.... good, I wasn't planning that. The controller works it out so that I make all left turns to intercept the localizer. Then he gives me the current weather. Calm winds.... visibility 10, 500 scattered, 1000 broken, 1200 overcast......and tops reported at 3000. Ok, thanks, won't spend too much time in the clouds.

Now the controller ask if I want the trucks standing by..... sure, they need something to do.... meanwhile I get on the sat phone and call dispatch to let them know why I turned around. He tells me he will arrange a rescue flight to come get us.... thanks, no need to stay here all night.

Getting close to the airport.... glideslope good, localizer good.... middle marker, time for the gear, clunk clunk.... three green, always good to see that..., first notch on the flaps.... should see the ground soon,,.... rabbits in sight.... runway in sight.... flaps..... still three green on the gear..... hold that speed, don't get slow.

Wow... look at all the red lights waiting for me.... getting close to the ground..... full flaps..... hold that rudder, keep center line.....

Mains touch down.... I tell the controller that if I can keep my taxi speed up I can get to the ramp.... he tells me that is fine, taxi to the ramp, stay with me.... nose wheel on the ground....

Man.... look at the trucks racing to keep up with me.... tell the med crew we are on the ground and they start breathing again.

We park at the ramp. The trucks finally catch up..... I get out of the plane and a fire/rescue person is walking towards me. I hold out my hand and introduce myself and thank him for doing his job. I apologize to him for getting everyone up at this hour and in the freezing cold. He laughs and tells me that it is his job.

Before we enter the FBO I tell the med crew to not talk to anyone except on were we will eat.... man, look at the crowd in the FBO.... wonder what they are doing here at 2am? Someone says a plane landed after losing an engine.....well, I sure hope they find that engine....

Most of multi engine training is flying on one engine. Train well and if it happens for real you will be ready.

Just curious, what was the N number on that 414?

I noticed that I was having a hard time keeping the aircraft banked into the good engine while also trying to track the localizer.
Don't worry about it. When you're on the approach, you're at low enough power and high enough speed that you don't need to worry about yaw due to differential power. Control the flight path, and all will be well.

I also noticed that I needed to have the good engine almost to idle to even descend slightly above glideslope. Which would cause me to rapidly increase the power whenever I got towards minimums.
Since you're not going to do a missed approach/go-around with one engine out, there would be no need to increase power approaching DA -- just land the plane. And if the simulated-dead engine is at the "zero thrust" power setting, make sure you retard both throttles to land.

He likes throwing me into the fire at first to see what I do.

Does he have you using rudder trim? I've noticed some MEIs don't (also some pilots don't:confused:) I was checking out in a Seminole with a buddy MEI and when I tried to trim the rudder it was stiff as hell, "What's the deal, how do the students work this?" "They don't, we don't trim for a single engine?":confused::dunno:

Since you're not going to do a missed approach/go-around with one engine out, there would be no need to increase power approaching DA -- just land the plane. And if the simulated-dead engine is at the "zero thrust" power setting, make sure you retard both throttles to land.
Uh....if you get below GS on the approach, you just MIGHT want to increase power so as to avoid obstacles in your path...

I don't hold much with that sort of approach to flight training, but everyone's different.

We've done single engine high work, but this was the first day putting it to use. I haven't done a full single engine landing yet. The winds were a bit to much for it to be safe.

Uh....if you get below GS on the approach, you just MIGHT want to increase power so as to avoid obstacles in your path...
Unless you already really screwed up, you won't need to increase power enough to make the 2-degrees-into-the-good-engine difference matter. And if you have screwed up that badly, you've got much bigger problems than keeping the LOC centered.

We've done single engine high work, but this was the first day putting it to use. I haven't done a full single engine landing yet. The winds were a bit to much for it to be safe.
Then I guess this wasn't "throwing [you[ into the fire at first to see what [you] do" unless your instructor had never discussed how to fly an OEI approach before having you do it, in which case my original comment stands. I don't do anything in the plane we haven't first talked about on the ground.

Unless you already really screwed up, you won't need to increase power enough to make the 2-degrees-into-the-good-engine difference matter. And if you have screwed up that badly, you've got much bigger problems than keeping the LOC centered.

What about the GS?:dunno:

What about the GS?:dunno:
The question had to do with how to deal with having sunk well below GS and needing to go full power on the operating engine to recover. At that point, GS is the biggest issue, so you do what you have to do (including 2 degrees into the good engine), and worry more about that than keeping the LOC dead center. Of course, if you select the proper heading and keep the ball 1/2 out towards the good engine, you'll have proper track and zero side-slip, so the LOC tracking problem won't arise. It's allowing the wings to level and the ball to center which puts you into that slipped condition which is probably causing the OP's tracking problem in the first place.

just land the plane. And if the simulated-dead engine is at the "zero thrust" power setting, make sure you retard both throttles to land.[/QUOTE]

Gotta disagree with that. Having them reduce both to idle does not prepare them for the yaw into the good engine when it is pulled back to idle.

just land the plane. And if the simulated-dead engine is at the "zero thrust" power setting, make sure you retard both throttles to land.

Gotta disagree with that. Having them reduce both to idle does not prepare them for the yaw into the good engine when it is pulled back to idle.[/QUOTE]

True.

just land the plane. And if the simulated-dead engine is at the "zero thrust" power setting, make sure you retard both throttles to land.

Gotta disagree with that. Having them reduce both to idle does not prepare them for the yaw into the good engine when it is pulled back to idle.
That yaw will be grossly over-pronounced if the "dead" engine is left at what is the zero-thrust setting at flying speeds but is way too high for touchdown speed. In a perfect world, the examiner would pull the "dead" engine throttle back to the touchdown speed zero-thrust setting as the airplane slows, but they usually don't do that.

I am not instrument rated and I am not a CFI but I do have my MEL. I would think that most CFIs would teach engine out something along the following.

First at altitude:
Non critical engine out.
Critical engine out.
MCA demo.

On landing (VFR).
Non critical engine out.
Critical engine out.

Then mix it up by surprising with different engine out scenarios.

Then once the student has this down, move to doing it on approaches under the hood if student is instrument rated.

Again, I just base this upon my own VFR MEL learning experience.

I would think you would be about ready for the checkride. I did
C-AMEL add on in 2 days.

Back