First ramp check

Actually, the high oxygen concentration and the grease that was known to have been in the cargo compartment is all that was needed to create a fire.

Exactly. Oxygen, heat, and grease=ignition. And with grease, it doesn't take much heat. Which is why you don't put it on oxygen lines, bottles, and fittings.

Fire triangle - oxygen, fuel and heat. Take one away and you have no fire. I enjoy explaining this to my students. Oxygen is not flammable and rightfully so, our atmosphere is made up of 21% O2, so we would be a burning orb if it was.
The students like to go out in the badlands and drink around a bonfire, I tell them to remember the fire triangle next time and they won't end up with the giant log in the fire pit that won't sustain fire, you need a large amount of heat to keep the flame going.

Fire triangle - oxygen, fuel and heat. Take one away and you have no fire. I enjoy explaining this to my students. Oxygen is not flammable and rightfully so, our atmosphere is made up of 21% O2, so we would be a burning orb if it was.
The students like to go out in the badlands and drink around a bonfire, I tell them to remember the fire triangle next time and they won't end up with the giant log in the fire pit that won't sustain fire, you need a large amount of heat to keep the flame going.
If you are teaching this stuff to students, please note that the fire triangle went out with the 80s. It is more effectively referred to as the fire tetrahedron: fuel, oxygen, heat and the chemical chain reaction between those.

That chemical chain reaction is an important aspect to understand because you can put out the fire simply by interrupting the chain reaction. This is how Halon works.

If you are teaching this stuff to students, please note that the fire triangle went out with the 80s. It is more effectively referred to as the fire tetrahedron: fuel, oxygen, heat and the chemical chain reaction between those.

That chemical chain reaction is an important aspect to understand because you can put out the fire simply by interrupting the chain reaction. This is how Halon works.
I try to keep it simple. If i used the word "tetrahedron" then I would have to do a powerpoint presentation to show them what that shape looks like and what tetra means and they would just get confused. They should have learned about this stuff in school and boy/girl scouts but they would have to look up from their phone to pay attention. If I started to get into chemical fires, metal fires etc then it would turn into a side show and I try to give them the basics and mostly how to prevent and extinguish them once they are started before real damage is done to property and persons.

Wait, what? - they can ramp you when you are just sitting in the lounge?
Maybe they could make a case that you were in the process of preparing for flight?
Just wondering what the limits are on where and when they can check things; only on the airport? What about the restaurant if the pilot area is fair game?
I've always understood it to be when you were seen in or around an airplane ie; on the ramp; cf the term "Ramp" check.
All I know is that the reg that requires us to show our certificates, 61.3(l), doesn't state any such limitation.

http://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-id...ecece0ca04&mc=true&node=se14.2.61_13&rgn=div8

I was a private pilot at the time.

I still carry my log book to keep it accurate.

What do you feel is the down side of having my pilot log book with me?
For me, the downside was leaving it in a rental plane, and not discovering that fact until I was 200 miles away.

Exactly. Oxygen, heat, and grease=ignition. And with grease, it doesn't take much heat. Which is why you don't put it on oxygen lines, bottles, and fittings.
Oxygen readily combines with other elements and compounds. When high concentration oxygen comes in contact with oil, grease, or fuel oils, there is a chemical reaction the causes heat and spontaneous combustion may occur.

Oxygen readily combines with other elements and compounds. When high concentration oxygen comes in contact with oil, grease, or fuel oils, there is a chemical reaction the causes heat and spontaneous combustion may occur.
Very true, had an boss years ago that showed us younguns this. Was an eye opener for sure.

Back