First Preflight inspection Following Major Maintenance

n2230b

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
fast eddie
I’m reaching out to any A&P or AI’s out there for advice re shakedown cruise following a complete paint job. Any observations regarding reinstal of control surfaces, under the cowling surprises, avionics antennae, etc. which could affect flight performance would be appreciated.

Thanks

Look to ensure all castle nuts are pinned. Make sure your trim tab is neutral where it says it should be and that it moves the proper amount and direction. Make sure there are no dragging noises or binding of the control surfaces. Ensure all hardware holding the cowling, fairings, trim pieces are present and secure. No excessive play in the control surfaces from loose cables.

The shop has a dedicated AP/AI whom I do not know personally. The gen mgr stated that it’s someone they work with regularly. It may be the mech that removed the control surfaces and will do the reinstal.

The shop has a dedicated AP/AI whom I do not know personally. The gen mgr stated that it’s someone they work with regularly. It may be the mech that removed the control surfaces and will do the reinstal.

Do they have a Maintenance Manual for your aircraft make and model? Did they follow the procedures for balancing the control surfaces? Did they do a complete write up and sign off on everything done?

there for advice re shakedown cruise following a complete paint job
Just to add... have the AP/IA and shop personnel physically point to the items they removed/installed, adjusted, etc as you do your pre-flight to assist in your review. If there's something you don't understand ask for clarification. And one thing I always recommend is to perform an ops check flight as mentioned in 91.407 with a return back to the shop, shutdown, and post-flight check. Only then... after a cup of coffee and you're completely satisfied, make your plans to head home with another pre-flight, etc. Even if it takes another day.;)

I always invite the mechanic who did the maintenance to come along on the test flight.

Definitely do a thorough control check, including making sure all control surfaces move in the correct direction, do not bind, or have any unusual play or noise. I always do a much more thorough pre-flight check of any aircraft coming out of maintenance, looking for loose or missing fasteners, things left where they aren't supposed to be, new dents, dings or funny noises.

Definitely do a thorough control check, including making sure all control surfaces move in the correct direction, do not bind, or have any unusual play or noise. I always do a much more thorough pre-flight check of any aircraft coming out of maintenance, looking for loose or missing fasteners, things left where they aren't supposed to be, new dents, dings or funny noises.

Agree with the above.

Not long ago we had a crash on my previous field following control surface work. The IA/A&P was well regarded and the pilot was also an A&P. No one boxed the controls on preflight and one of the surfaces was reversed.

Do they have a Maintenance Manual for your aircraft make and model? Did they follow the procedures for balancing the control surfaces? Did they do a complete write up and sign off on everything done?
Great point whether or not they have a maintenance manual. Didn't think to ask. The work hasn't gotten to that point yet. I do have a maintenance manual and will offer to send pertinent section copies.

The contract specifically and explicitly includes balancing. I would expect a reputable shop to adhere to steps that are industry standards. Or is my expectation naive?

Just to add... have the AP/IA and shop personnel physically point to the items they removed/installed, adjusted, etc as you do your pre-flight to assist in your review. If there's something you don't understand ask for clarification. And one thing I always recommend is to perform an ops check flight as mentioned in 91.407 with a return back to the shop, shutdown, and post-flight check. Only then... after a cup of coffee and you're completely satisfied, make your plans to head home with another pre-flight, etc. Even if it takes another day.;)

Another great recommendation.

Great point whether or not they have a maintenance manual. Didn't think to ask. The work hasn't gotten to that point yet. I do have a maintenance manual and will offer to send pertinent section copies.

The contract specifically and explicitly includes balancing. I would expect a reputable shop to adhere to steps that are industry standards. Or is my expectation naive?

I would expect that they are following the MM chapter and verse, and will make a signoff concurrent with it. I would not accept a quicky logbook signoff that does not reference the MM and the work performed.

Control surface movement checks should be done by a challenge-response system with two people and long before ever starting the engine. Manipulator should move one surface to the limit, and state control moved. Observer should respond with what surface moved and in what direction....ie pitch up or down, roll right or left...and so on. Harder to miss a wrong movement that way.

Also need to verify that control surface movements meet TC listing....actually use a clinometer on them and verify the angles meet specs. Kinda a pain to do, but it's your butt on the line if they don't match and you manage to get the a/c off the ground...

A friend of mine had his Cessna 310 painted by a reputable shop. The paint job looked great...but someone installed the wing fairings on top of the flaps...when he lowered flaps, the flaps were trapped under the fairings..things got bent up.

Back