First PAX (lotta pics)

eMKay

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
eMKay
My wife and I flew this morning, out over Ralph Wilson stadium (it was right about 1 hour before gametime, so I was above 3000 AGL) over downtown, up the river and over the island, and around Niagara Falls. Awesome flight, smooth as glass above 3500. Wife took the pics.

Preflight
IMG_1544.jpg

Takeoff
IMG_1546.jpg

IMG_1547.jpg

This is where I work (MOOG, Aircraft Group naturally)
IMG_1550.jpg

The Ralph! Parking lots filling up, have not opened the gates yet (they do that 1 hour before) too bad we lost :(
IMG_1552.jpg

IMG_1553.jpg

Our house, you can't see it really, the arrow is pointing to about where it is
IMG_1554-Version2-1.jpg

Our beautiful, underrated, undervalued city...
IMG_1556.jpg

IMG_1558.jpg

Peace Bridge, backed up, a very large percentage (20-25%) of Bills fans live in Southern Ontario
IMG_1560.jpg

And of course, no description necessary...
IMG_1566.jpg

IMG_1568.jpg

IMG_1570.jpg

IMG_1572.jpg

IMG_1574.jpg

Just skip over this one
IMG_1576.jpg

KBUF, usual midfield transition, with a twist, I was told to keep east of 14 for departing traffic
IMG_1582.jpg

BOOOOOOOOOO!
IMG_1583.jpg

Aaaaand HOME!
IMG_1587.jpg

I've never seen Niagara falls before and this pics are way cool... What a good way to share flying with your "first pax"

Great photos! What a beautiful clear day.

Can you fly over southern Ontario, or do you have to make sure you don't cross the border? Isn't Niagara Falls right on the border?

Great photos! What a beautiful clear day.

Can you fly over southern Ontario, or do you have to make sure you don't cross the border? Isn't Niagara Falls right on the border?

I can fly as far into Canada as I want as long as I don't land in Canada. I haven't looked into customs other than that, but we both have Nexus passes so even if we did land, I think it's just a matter of calling them up and reporting in 1/2 hour before arrival. That's how it works on our boat. I will look into that further before I go ahead and try it. All the club planes have customs stickers on them.

Awesome pics and first pax flight!

Looks like a perfect day for flying!

Sweet!

Nice pics, but I'm curious: What's up with the two planes that seem to be out in the weeds in your last picture?

Looks like you had a beautifull day to take your wife up for the first time. Great pictures.

Awesome pictures! Hope you don't mind I stole one but I gave you credit on Facebook - I don't think I'll be flying that far away for a LONG time!

Nice pics, but I'm curious: What's up with the two planes that seem to be out in the weeds in your last picture?

Those two planes are considered "abandoned" the airport manager moves planes over in that corner when the owners stop paying storage fees. And he waits a long time before moving them over there too, they have been abandoned for years. There is a C-152 there that is starting to fall into that category, I might want to pick it up as a project.

Nice shots. Now you have to get her a nice digital SLR and a long lens. ;)

I can fly as far into Canada as I want as long as I don't land in Canada. I haven't looked into customs other than that, but we both have Nexus passes so even if we did land, I think it's just a matter of calling them up and reporting in 1/2 hour before arrival. That's how it works on our boat. I will look into that further before I go ahead and try it. All the club planes have customs stickers on them.
Only if you are on an active IFR or VFR flight plan and remain in contact with ATC in accordane with FDC 0/6432.

Nice shots. Now you have to get her a nice digital SLR and a long lens. ;)

I do have a DSLR with a long lens, these were taken with a Canon T2i with a Sigma 18-200. she barely knows how to use it though, I think she was on 18mm the entire time.

Those two planes are considered "abandoned" the airport manager moves planes over in that corner when the owners stop paying storage fees. And he waits a long time before moving them over there too, they have been abandoned for years. There is a C-152 there that is starting to fall into that category, I might want to pick it up as a project.

Man, I sure do hate to see that.

Those are some amazing pictures. It looks like it was an amazing day for flying.

Very, very cool.
That's what its all about, isn't it?

Awesome pics! I hope to get over to Niagara Falls at some point, since it's not all that far away in a 172!

Those are great pics. I just finished showing some co-workers the pics of the falls and they all loved them. Kudos.

Wait until I take some winter pics, those will be better

Very nice!! It's inspiration like that, that makes me want to call up and schedule another lesson with the CFI and get that much closer to completion.

Beautiful pictures.

Is your wife excited?

Or scared?

Or is she going to be a pilot soon too?

What was your passenger briefing like? Did you let her fly the plane at all?

The WX in NY was peeeeeertect yesterday. I did 3 runs to KTEB from KBUF this weekend and I didn't have to file an IFR plan. Its been 2 years since I have been able to pull that off.

Google EAPIS. Its a bit more complicated than just calling. It applies both ways.

IMG_1556.jpg

Last edited:
Is your wife excited?

Or scared?

Or is she going to be a pilot soon too?

What was your passenger briefing like? Did you let her fly the plane at all?

She's pretty relaxed, she loves flying with me, she trusts me. She has no interest in becoming a pilot, I will teach her enough to land the plane if I can't.

I sure am. But i don't see any manifest submission exemption for nexus card holders.

There is no nexus lane for aviation. You can use your card in lieu of a passport, but if you fly a plane back to the states without an EAPIS submission it won't be good.

To think that all you need is a nexus card and you can fly without doing all the bs is a wonderful though, but not true. If so every boarder area pilot would be running to get these cards. They are great for crossing the peace bridge, and nice on a boat crossing. But eapis is your new friend if you wana fly to toronto for a bills game.

All a customs sticker means is at you prepaid for the customs fees. I have them for the jet and lil plane for our trips down to south. But if you don't have one you just pay the customs people a few bucks.

This is a good read. Lets ya know how the system works if ya miss one thing.

http://www.pilotsofamerica.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-37997.html

Last edited:
I sure am. But i don't see any manifest submission exemption for nexus card holders.

There is no nexus lane for aviation. You can use your card in lieu of a passport, but if you fly a plane back to the states without an EAPIS submission it won't be good.

To think that all you need is a nexus card and you can fly without doing all the bs is a wonderful though, but not true. If so every boarder area pilot would be running to get these cards. They are great for crossing the peace bridge, and nice on a boat crossing. But eapis is your new friend if you wana fly to toronto for a bills game.

All a customs sticker means is at you prepaid for the customs fees. I have them for the jet and lil plane for our trips down to south. But if you don't have one you just pay the customs people a few bucks.

This is a good read. Lets ya know how the system works if ya miss one thing.

http://www.pilotsofamerica.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-37997.html

Ok, good to know, thanks

Back