First or Second half of week?

Discussion in 'Airventure' started by CJones, Jan 30, 2020.

1. CJones

CJones Final Approach

Display Name:

Display name:
    uHaveNoIdea
    Well, there hasn't been a fresh post made here since last year, so time to stir the pot a bit.

My dad and I are ready to go all-in and take my oldest son (8 y/o) to his first Oshkosh. We'll be flying the RV up and camping by the plane (I want to have a camera rolling when he's awakened by his first 'dawn patrol' departure).

I'm fully expecting him to be worn out after a few days, so if you had to pick one half of the week to do the trip, which half would you choose? For some background, my dad and I have each flown in and camped under the wing several times, so the arrival/departure isn't overly concerning for us.

2. Ravioli

Ravioli Final Approach

Display Name:

Display name:
    Pasta Man
    Go Tues - Thur. Then you'll get a night show and the Van's dinner.

Monday night concert doesn't look interesting. The Fray.

3. bluesky74656

bluesky74656 Line Up and Wait

Display Name:

Display name:
    Todd Kooser
    I’m thinking of bringing my 6 year old this year. It will be both of our first time. My plan right now is to go Thursday - Sunday because that saves taking a day or two off work.

4. kmacht

kmacht Pre-takeoff checklist

Display Name:

Display name:
    Kmacht
    Arrive Sunday leave Thursday morning. The second half of the week tends to slow down. A large number of aircraft are gone by Thursday/Friday and most of the better forums are earlier in the week. Arriving on Sunday gives you time to get camp setup, walk the flightline, watch arrivals, and go have a leisurely dinner all before the show even starts. Leaving Thursday allows you to see the night airshow which isn't a bad way to end a vacation.

5. weirdjim

weirdjim En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    weirdjim
    Thanks for that!! :redface:

Jim

6. steingar

steingar Taxi to Parking

Display Name:

Display name:
    steingar
    And don't forge too bring him by the Activities Center (formerly known as the Craft Tent) so I can teach him some Origami. Please don't be upset if I don't recognize you at first, it has been a LONG time.

7. CJones

CJones Final Approach

Display Name:

Display name:
    uHaveNoIdea
    All good points. I like the idea of getting their the first half and leaving the day after the night airshow - talk about ending on a high point. I haven't seen the night airshow myself, either. I've been there late on Fri at the end of the show and you're right, things start clearing out by then. We'll be sure to stop by, steingar!

I'm getting excited just thinking about the first time he sees so many cool airplanes in one spot. We went down to the Air Force museum at Robins AFB a few months ago and he liked it pretty well, but for so many of the planes I kept saying "You should see and hear the thing fly!" Hopefully he gets the chance this summer!

8. Avi8or2012

Avi8or2012 Pre-Flight

Display Name:

Display name:
    Avi8or2012-Evan
    The Fray played last year (2020's performer has yet to be announced), and I must say, I was pleasantly surprised. They put on a good show and had a good time with the flyby's and the crowd.

We were there Sat-Th last year and thought it was awesome! Two free days to go look at everyone else's cool airplanes (Sat-Sun), and then 3 days plus one awesome night show! I know that gets to be a bit much for the kiddo's, but I'd go early in the week.

9. flyingcheesehead

flyingcheesehead Touchdown! Greaser!

Display Name:

Display name:
    iMooniac
    PoA dinner served by the Prellwitzes is usually Tuesday night and is the best food you'll have all week... Hope to see you there!

BTW, I have forgiven my father for not taking me to Oshkosh until I was 14... But you should be prepared to keep bringing your son to Oshkosh every year after he experiences it the first time! My son is 3 years old and 2020 will be his fourth Oshkosh... Fifth if you count in utero! :D

10. AKBill

AKBill En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    AKBill
    Haven't been there since the mid 80's. I'll have to put it on my bucket list for the near future.