First Multi-Engine Lesson

HPNPilot1200

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Jason
Well I officially logged my first 0.8 hours of Multi-Engine time today.......in a jet. Slightly larger and more powerful than the average 172 I normally fly. The company I work for let me fly right seat in a Cessna Citation CJ3 to drop the aircraft off for maintenance, and the PIC who I was flying with (who is a really great pilot and is also a current MEI) let me fly the entire flight from engine start to engine shut down. I have to admit, the thing is way easier to fly than any single engine piston I've ever flown. You have to be thinking quite fast (250 knots creeps up real quick) and know the avionics inside and out, but the thing flies great.

Not your typical first multi-engine lesson, but it sure was a heck of a lot of fun! That thing has an amazing amount of power and performance capability. Climbing out at 200 knots while doing 6,000 FPM on a warm day and having the tower advise "frequency change approved" about 20 seconds after departure as we scream through 3,200 feet leaving the delta is a pretty cool feeling.

The best part was when I taxiied up to the hold short line, we briefed the departure and then I said "Ok, what else do we need to run through?" The PIC's responce: "What are you talking about? We're not in a piston today, you know." :D

Too bad I can't do the rest of my multi training in the jet. Hopefully I'll get a few more flights in the CJ3 by the end of the summer. I think I picked the right career. At least that's what was running through my head earlier today as I pushed the throttles up to the takeoff detent and felt the jolt of the powerful FJ-44-3A's throwing me back into my seat.

Life is good.

Oh man... that is just sooo wrong! :)

At the end of your first 0.8 hours of multi training, your right leg should have cramped from your thigh to your hip and you should be saying "level the wings, step on the ball, heading/airspeed, mixture, props, throttles, boost pumps on, heading/airspeed/ball, identify, verify, decide, feather or troublshoot, dead foot back, dead throttle back, dead prop back, dead mixture back, raise the dead, heading/airspeed/ball..."

Mixture? Props? What are those? :confused:

Glad you had a good time Jason. :yes:

Jason,

You suck.

Regards,
Jesse

Nice man, congrats!! That is truly cool! Of course, we all would hope for some pictures because :needpics:

Now you be chasing 250 kts all the time. Your first real multi time in a Seminole or whatever will be stupid slow, but who cares....that's pretty badass. I'm jealous.

Jason, that's awesome. As odd as my logbook is, yours now has a significantly odder entry than I am likely to ever have. I'm happy for you.

Y'all need to get over your cases of pilot envy! :yes:

Says the guy who flew an Aztec and a Navajo at well under 100 hours... :D

Jason, Good deal! I know you enjoyed it. I hope you do get more of this high speed ME time.
Maybe a CJ3 is different than old Learjets, or maybe it's just me:rolleyes:, but I have found some aspects of flying a jet to be a tad more challenging than a 172.

Ok, as requested:
IMG_2427.jpg

Starting the right engine (you can see the N1, N2, and ITT all rising).

IMG_2428.jpg

Holding the brakes and running the before taxi checklist while Chris jumps out for a second.

IMG_2430.jpg

Going westbound at 5500, VFR, wrong way. Oops.

IMG_2431.jpg

Headed towards SWF after some steep turns. RNAV (GPS) 16 plate displayed on the MFD.

IMG_2432.jpg

In SWF at the service center after Chris let me fly the entire flight.

Jason, Good deal! I know you enjoyed it. I hope you do get more of this high speed ME time.
Maybe a CJ3 is different than old Learjets, or maybe it's just me:rolleyes:, but I have found some aspects of flying a jet to be a tad more challenging than a 172.

Hah, well I haven't done V1 cuts in the CJ3 yet, but normal flying was a breeze. I did the takeoff and landing mostly all on my own (got a little help on the flare from Chris though). I really found the thing very simple to fly. Chris said the CJ3 is such an intuitive airplane, he could have me flying it real well after 3 or 4 flights in the right seat.

I could tell after .5 in the IAR that you are a natural in the front seat.

But you knew that already.

Congratulations! You're a good stick. :yes:

Jason,

I'm sincerely envious of your experience and glad you're getting the opportunity.

Regardless, you still suck. :)

Best,

Ken

Damn Jason.... I hope they make you pay your half of the fuel bill :D

At this rate, Jason will end up taking his MEL checkride in the Citation.

Me thinks that would be hilarious, and an even cooler entry in the log book.

Jason, add this jealous dog to the rousing crescendo. YOU SUCK!:goofy:
Love, Grant!

Really, congratulations!

Jason, add this jealous dog to the rousing crescendo. YOU SUCK!:goofy:
Love, Grant!

Really, congratulations!

Ha.. I didn't think it was actually possible, but I think Jason has reached the status of "Most Admired" and "Most Hated" board member at the same time! ;)

j/k.. We're all just jealous, Jason. Have fun and enjoy it. And then come here and tell us about it, so we can tell you how much you suck for telling us about it. :D

Ha.. I didn't think it was actually possible, but I think Jason has reached the status of "Most Admired" and "Most Hated" board member at the same time! ;)

j/k.. We're all just jealous, Jason. Have fun and enjoy it. And then come here and tell us about it, so we can tell you how much you suck for telling us about it. :D

A funny observation of mine... jealousy tends to be manifested as hatred. I have noticed this from various other pilot friends (even though I don't reciprocate) for things like the following:

- I did a 3 hour night XC in an Aztec
- I flew in a Lancair
- I flew in the Navajo
- I passed my checkride in 45 hours
- I got my HP and complex

etc. etc...

Comes down to right place, right time!

Leslie wants to know what company you work for and if they're hiring!

Leslie wants to know what company you work for and if they're hiring!

Hah, don't think we're hiring pilots on the jets these days, but I sure wish! I just logged another 0.5 picking the aircraft up and flying it to HPN. Once again, got to fly it from engine start to engine shut down with the same pilot (who is a really awesome MEI). I learned a few things:

1. The air conditioning toggle switch is the most important item on the aircraft.
  2. Flying a jet at 2500 or 2000 feet sure does suck a lot of gas out of the tanks.
  3. Flying an airplane at 2500 or 2000 feet is really much more fun when you're doing 245 knots.
  4. The thrill of takeoff power in a jet never ceases.

I didn't take any pictures because I figured it would really **** off all you folks.....again. (Actually we were in a rush and didn't have time. A/c ended up being late in position for a live leg to Arizona, but whatever.)

:cheerswine:

Back