First Long XC with the Family - MI to FL

SethV

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
SethV
What a great adventure! On Saturday May 23 we departed PTK in Michigan headed to FL to see my Mom for the week. I completed my PPL in March and we have been doing local 50 - 150 mile trips, but this was a great first time to really use the plane to get someplace!

We arrived at the airport at about 5:15 AM Saturday - really awesome not needed to lug bags through security - just load up the DA40 and blast off. It was cold Saturday morning, had a good layer of frost on the airplane. Got it cleaned off and we were in the air about 5:45.

First stop was at I39 in Madison KY. Quick stop with self serve fuel, only on the ground about 15 minutes. Next stop KAZE in Georgia. Nice cheap fuel and about a 30 minute stop. Final destination KVNC (Venice FL). I was a bit concerned about the thunderstorms that pop up the afternoon along the gulf coast. As we neared Venice I could see rain in the distance, but we were able to get in with no problems.

About a week ago I made a deal for a share of an SR22 - man, I am looking forward to flying that plane. The Diamond DA40 is nice, but no autopilot or xm weather and ths seats are not all that great for a long trip. Our total hobbs time for the trip (955 nm) in the DA40 was 7.8, not too bad.

Hoping to get good enough weather to get home later this week. Planing departing Venice Thursday and head across the state to see my wife's family for a day. Thursday night or Friday morning we want to head up to Raleigh to see my brother in law, then back to Michigan Friday night or Saturday.

Lots of flying, but this is exactly why I got my licence and am hoping to have my IR soon.

Seth

Nice use of your airplane, Seth. Give yourself plenty of time leeway on the way home. Be safe.

How big is the family, and what ages? I often try to convince my wife that I should fly our family from Cleveland to Naples, but she balks at the thought of being stuck in the back of a plane for 7 hours with two kids under 2.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nice! you said 'family'...wife and at least 1 kid? how did they like it? I mean, specifically, how did the wifey r e a l l y like it?

What a great adventure! On Saturday May 23 we departed PTK in Michigan headed to FL to see my Mom for the week. I completed my PPL in March and we have been doing local 50 - 150 mile trips, but this was a great first time to really use the plane to get someplace!

We arrived at the airport at about 5:15 AM Saturday - really awesome not needed to lug bags through security - just load up the DA40 and blast off. It was cold Saturday morning, had a good layer of frost on the airplane. Got it cleaned off and we were in the air about 5:45.

First stop was at I39 in Madison KY. Quick stop with self serve fuel, only on the ground about 15 minutes. Next stop KAZE in Georgia. Nice cheap fuel and about a 30 minute stop. Final destination KVNC (Venice FL). I was a bit concerned about the thunderstorms that pop up the afternoon along the gulf coast. As we neared Venice I could see rain in the distance, but we were able to get in with no problems.

About a week ago I made a deal for a share of an SR22 - man, I am looking forward to flying that plane. The Diamond DA40 is nice, but no autopilot or xm weather and ths seats are not all that great for a long trip. Our total hobbs time for the trip (955 nm) in the DA40 was 7.8, not too bad.

Hoping to get good enough weather to get home later this week. Planing departing Venice Thursday and head across the state to see my wife's family for a day. Thursday night or Friday morning we want to head up to Raleigh to see my brother in law, then back to Michigan Friday night or Saturday.

Lots of flying, but this is exactly why I got my licence and am hoping to have my IR soon.

Seth
That's what flying is all about!
Where "across the State" will you be headed?

I am still working on getting the wife in the plane.

4 of us in the plane. My 11 year old son up front with me - he is hooked on flying. He is the closest I have to autopilot. He can hold a heading and altitude pretty well while I look at a chart. He also runs the 430 very well and puts in frequencies and transponder codes.

My daughter is 9 and likes to fly - or at least ride along and enjoy the view. Although for a little while she was on the Kindle in the back seat.

My wife is not as wild about flying. She loves going places but just not enamored with air travel. But, she is really behind me getting the Cirrus for the safety and automation (and speed = less time in the air).

Later this week heading over to Sebastian.

I am still working on getting the wife in the plane.

I honestly thought mine wouldn't go near it. She took one short flight with me the day after I got my ticket, and then some months later, surprisingly, she agreed to fly to Denver for an anniversary trip. We have another trip planned to Vegas next month, and a look of disappoint comes over her face when I mention that we have to wait to make sure the weather is good before committing to flying. The shorter travel times have her sold I think.

OP, that is awesome. Neither of my daughters are fans, but they are a little older (15 and 17). I wish I had gotten my license sooner!

What was your typical cruise speed? I've been thinking about IL to FL and was expecting about 6 hours time.

You're going to love the extra mile a minute with the Cirrus :)

[snip]
Later this week heading over to Sebastian.

Sebastian is a nice airport with a friendly FBO. Be on the lookout for parachutes. Last time I flew into Sebastian they dropped a load (announced) just before I landed and another just as I took off (~20 minutes in between). They seem to turn them pretty quick. It was a Saturday so probably the busiest time, but still...

John

4 people in a DA-40 isn't easy W&B wise. Helps you've got 2 kids, but once they start into the teen years, a DA-40 wouldn't cut it. Enjoy a Cirrus, but please get some decent training on it.

What a great adventure!

About a week ago I made a deal for a share of an SR22 - man, I am looking forward to flying that plane. The Diamond DA40 is nice,
Seth

Great story Seth. Once you have your own plane and start using it a lot, everything within about 350 miles will seem "like home" (every hill, mountain, river, etc.). That extra speed is going to help. Enjoy the flying and be safe ....

Back