First long X-C in a while - pointers sought / anything I am missing?

archerdriver

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Archerdriver
Just polling the collective brain trust for pointers / items I may have missed.

Planning a flight this Saturday to visit a friend - KDXR - KBFD ( Danbury Ct. to Bradford Regional / NW PA. ) 234 nm one way.

Will be flying with my brother, who has taken lessons but never tested for the PPL. So I consider him baggage / Pax, but with a good set of eyes..

I am PPL / IR since 1998, many hours in various planes, belonged to a excellent club for many years, flew to OSH 3 X

Been flying SP for 2 years as I wend my way through getting SI 3rd class / OR the FAA does the 3rd class reform thing...

So I will be renting the plane I have been flying and am current and familiar with, but its been a while since I flight-planned a X-C.

Please chime in on anything I missed -

Nite before - call for outlook WX briefing (I like to call - if anyone has opinions on virtues / drawbacks of online sources, I'm all ears) Before leaving call for full briefing. Check for TRF's!

Direct looks OK, call NY Tracon on 126.4 to ask for Flight following, stay clear of R-5206 (West Point), fly at 4,500' or 6,500', expect to get handed off to Wilkes-Barre TSRA (will check the paper sections for possible freq.), call Cinn center to see if the Duke MOA is 'hot', call the BFD tower after getting ATIS, land. Visit, top-off, rinse and repeat in reverse back to DXR.

I have new & current sectionals, updated Garmin 196 (the plane has a *^%$#) Italian GPS unit), fresh batteries for all including the Icom IC-22 w/ headset adaptor. I never take off with less than full tanks. W&B with the two of us is w/in the range.

Is there anything I have missed?

I thank you!

Aw, SH*t - do I need a metal landing calculator?

Thanks all, much appreciated.

One clarification.

On further study / refresher, it seems it might be better to contact the FSS to ask for Flight following on departure from Danbury at either NY approach on 118.0 or Bridgeport Radio on 122.2 rather than 126.4?

I see that FSS is available on the Bradford VOR on Altoona / 122.3 - is that correct?

Not to forget a Pirep enroute on 122.0.....

Thanks all, much appreciated.

One clarification.

On further study / refresher, it seems it might be better to contact the FSS to ask for Flight following on departure from Danbury at either NY approach on 118.0 or Bridgeport Radio on 122.2 rather than 126.4?

I see that FSS is available on the Bradford VOR on Altoona / 122.3 - is that correct?

Not to forget a Pirep enroute on 122.0.....

Flight Service Center = Flight plan opening or closing.
Approach/Center = Flight Following.

From what I can see on skyvector, I'd call NY Appr on 126.4 departing Danbury, and Cleveland Center on 124.325 departing Bradford for Flight Following.

And the most important task before takeoff of a long XC...make sure EVERYONE pees before departure!...as I tell my PAX, it is not if you have to go, but CAN you go...then GO!

Flight Service Center = Flight plan opening or closing.
Approach/Center = Flight Following.

From what I can see on skyvector, I'd call NY Appr on 126.4 departing Danbury, and Cleveland Center on 124.325 departing Bradford for Flight Following.

Hey - thanks for the correction - but would 124.325 / Cleveland work at that distance? I thought the Altoona (122.3 or 122.2 ) relay from the Bradford VOR would be the better choice, or Cleveland center as per the Duke MOA on 125.87 or 124.32? - Just looking for the best contacts!

And the most important task before takeoff of a long XC...make sure EVERYONE pees before departure!...as I tell my PAX, it is not if you have to go, but CAN you go...then GO!

Excellent point & thanks!

Hey - thanks for the correction - but would 124.325 / Cleveland work at that distance? I thought the Altoona (122.3 or 122.2 ) relay from the Bradford VOR would be the better choice, or Cleveland center as per the Duke MOA on 125.87 or 124.32? - Just looking for the best contacts!

I'm not familiar with that area. My rationale is that the A/FD page for that airport lists "CLEVELAND CENTER APCH/DEP CON 124.325".

It's likely that 124.325 is a satellite station located either at Bradford or nearby.

Almost two different questions, this trip and flight planning now versus the 90's. Good to be prepared but don't overlook the support available.

Tell DXR ground that you will want FF and, if not too busy they will start the coordination - or they may just give you the departure frequency to contact after takeoff.

West Point restricted goes up to 5K, at 6500 you are above it. Duke MOA begins at 8K and you will be below it. Once in contact with Center they will give you the next frequency to contact. Second pair of ears can help here, give your brother a note pad.

Weather planning, http://www.aviationweather.gov/adds/ is a good place to start when close to departure. Prog charts up to 48 hours, winds aloft for several days ahead, and a lot of other info. I also like AOPA's weather precip page which goes out 120 hours.

And the other big change since the 90's are tablets and the software that does all of the above and has the sectionals for your trip.

Because I am usually trying for an early departure I like to get the full briefing the night before and an update in the AM. The big picture usually doesn't change overnight and the morning metars and terminals will show any changes.

Most of all enjoy the flight, this will be like getting back on the bicycle.

Cal -

Thanks you very much, Great info, I never thought of asking DXR ground ! I know I am doing it old-school, but I DO have an all tube-based audio system at home..... so at least I am consistent.

I realize there are buttloads of new resources; I'll re-learn the ones I know and then move on into the more up to date sources.

Sounds like a good plan.

I guess I've lived in Texas too long.

234 miles is a long cross country? I have farms that are farther apart than that all here in Texas.

Touche -

Yup - not a REAL long X-Country, that would be when I took the club Dakota to Texarkana from Danbury.

This is long only by my recent standards.... plus I have my Brother & business partner as a PAX....

Like my pal in the UK a few years ago going on and on about his extensive planning for a LOOOoong car drive - 2 1/2 Hrs (!) Pfft!

A quick follow-up

Made the flight, but had to turn around about 2/3 of the way thee due to MVFR towards our destination.

3.5 hours on the Hobbs and landed right back at Danbury. Guess no logging the time as XC, huh?

Really pleased with all the helpful pointers offered here, and now more confident of my planning abilities - Like Cal said, like getting back on a bike.

My brother might even take up lessons again and this time not only take the written but also the check ride. Think he's has about 60+ hrs dual and solo.... what a waste.

Thanks for all the help and input - really....helpful.

Back