First Launch

E

EllenRipley13

I am part of a group looking to launch our FIRST High Altitude Balloon from within driving distance (approx 4 hours) from NYC for a video project.

We intend to use a Sent Into Space "Advanced" Kit
http://sentintospace.com/products-page/complete-kit/launch-advanced/#ad-image-0
w/ a 2000g balloon and a payload less than 6lbs.

The kit includes 2 SMS locators and a Sattelite Locator as well as all the other essentials.

Let me know if any one knows a good location!

Make sure you contact FSS for a NOTAM, as that's one hell of a hazard to navigation.

(800) WX-BRIEF

Make it at least several miles from any airports, including small ones.

Make sure you contact FSS for a NOTAM, as that's one hell of a hazard to navigation.

(800) WX-BRIEF

Make it at least several miles from any airports, including small ones.

Without knowing the winds and the approach paths, I am not sure how it could be reliably done "several miles" from any airport. And as you go higher, approach paths and airways could be affected virtually anywhere.
I'd consider it a reckless operation unless coordinated with and approved by the FAA.

You wrote that you are part of a group. What group? CAP, Scouts, School? I trust you do have adult supervision preferably someone with experience with this sort of thing.

I would think the best location would be up state NY. Might want to have your group contact the nearest NWS office and ask about how far their balloons travel on average. It will help give you a general area to work from, so you don't lose it out to sea.

I wouldn't launch it around NYC or the major air routes through southern PA and everything from the southwest. So my recommendation for up state NY around the finger lakes or Adirondacks would make sense. FAA NOTAM and a notice to ATC of time of launch is required by regulations. Plus you'll need to attach a foil panel to the package to act as a radar reflector.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back