First instrument lesson

Blueangel

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Scott
After late start due to delays since I had to move to San Diego and needed time to sort that out, I had my very first real instrument lesson this week! I was wiped out and need to build up my stamina after a full 1.5 hours of hood time. I realized it is more difficult than private pilot but I enjoyed the challenge of flying instruments and then doing an ILS to KMYF and magically appearing at the end of the runway! Very cool.

I really enjoyed instrument training. About an hour and a half was the limit for me as well. I had a few lessons with long vectors that lasted 2 hours, but most were the 1.5

I really enjoyed instrument training. About an hour and a half was the limit for me as well. I had a few lessons with long vectors that lasted 2 hours, but most were the 1.5

In my experience, with the exception of cross-countries 90 minutes is the absolute max for a flight lesson....and even that should not happen too often. The human brain needs time to assimilate new knowledge/experiences. A savvy instructor will recognize the time when his/her instructions seem to bounce off of the student.

Bob Gardner

Yeah 1.5 hours of hood time is a good workout when all the stuff is new and your brain is really working hard. The more engrained the procedures and maneuvers become, the easier it gets.

I remember my first few lessons toward my PPL especially as being mentally grueling - and they were not more than 45 minutes!

Enjoy your training!

Thanks

Today I did better on basic attitude flying, constant rate and sperd climbs, turns, and descents to different headings and flying VORs. Practiced clearances as well and finished with an ILS approach. The issue yesterday was the plane trim wheel was difficult to adjust so switching to another Piper with better setup worked well.

In my experience, with the exception of cross-countries 90 minutes is the absolute max for a flight lesson....and even that should not happen too often. The human brain needs time to assimilate new knowledge/experiences. A savvy instructor will recognize the time when his/her instructions seem to bounce off of the student.

Bob Gardner
Yep. I try not to do any lesson over 1.5 unless I'm doing an x country.

Definitely agree 1.5 is max hood flying time I can handle until the long IFR cross country.

Congrats! Just had my first instrument lesson last week, (and thanks to work and weather it looks like it will be next week until my next one). A lot of people seem to really enjoy instrument training, my instructor (who I had to my PPL) seems to think I will particularly enjoy it, so I'm pretty pumped about it. And I agree, the first time you come out from under the hood and are looking right down the runway is pretty cool

Thanks yeah I like the training and my CFII is great. Only downside is that weather in San Diego has been super sunny hot and humid and more geared toward VFR than IFR! Anyways its worth the effort. I like the ILS stuff and my instructor has me do as much complete IFR flight as possible to get exposed to a full instrument flight experience as we work on the basic building blocks.

The advantage of hot sunny days is that you can practice approaches in light turbulence due to all the thermals. On marine layer days, it's just too smooth.

Agree MAKG and I fly super early before work to avoid the heat in the cockpit. Right now getting the basic instrument attitude skills to PTS standards is my goal. I have some weak points to correct on flying instruments to get my scan down pat and tracking VOR radials correctly. I did horrid the first time but yesterday was better.

Back