First in-flight failure

Okay, follow up question. Say you know exactly what the issue is. Would you launch? Not necessarily in this particular case. But let's play with an example. I was sitting at the hold short line and my oil temperature was stable about a needle's width into the yellow, as was my oil pressure. Launch or not?

This was when I flew a Sky Arrow to Dulles for Become a Pilot day at the Air and Space Museum. It was a warm early summer's day, and there was a looong wait for departure. The Sky Arrow has a pusher prop, which means that cooling on the ground is nothing short of horrible. As I was taxiing out and waiting in the long conga line for departure, I noticed the oil temperature creeping up and the oil pressure dropping, but they stabilized once they were both juuuust in the yellow. Given the warm day, long time on the ground, and horrible cooling of a pusher, I took that to mean that nothing was actually wrong and that all would cool off after departure. As I expected, about a minute after I took off, everything was back in the green again, hunky dory.

Still though, I took off knowing full well that the oil pressure and temperature gauges were in the yellow. Do I get the same treatment from ye Prophets of Aviation? Or am I forgiven because I knew exactly why I was seeing what I was seeing?

You knew what you were seeing. Our O-540 at 1000rpm idle will barely have oil pressure in the low end of the green, reacts to throttle and is fine.

Flying a tightly cowled Mooney at an AF flying club. Had to taxi downwind 2 miles for departure. Had to watch the cyl head temps in the summer and turn around and face the breeze half way down the length to keep the temps down. Then let it cool again at the departure end before taking the runway. They would not let us take off mid-field with a mile of runway in front of us.

Back