First flight with Pilots N Paws today

gitmo234

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
gitmo234
Did my first flight with Pilots N Paws today. Looked beautiful but was a bit choppy. The pups seemed a bit more interested in sleeping than anything else.

I started small as a freshly minted pilot, I took two pups from KFDK to KLOM.

This guy kept hopping up for a look outside.

Anyone else do it that often? I plan on one a month or so. I will also say that this was my first time into wings field, or flying anywhere near philly. I actually enjoyed it a lot.

Attachments

• IMG_0948.jpg
    IMG_0948.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 220
That's cool! If my plane gets out of the shop by this weekend Im supposed to do my first PnP flight. Cant wait!

I actually enjoyed it. Its a good excuse to fly, and it's a tax write-off. Its a great cause too. Everyone I've talked to has been very helpful as well

doggies.

I actually haven't submitted for the tax write off yet for the PnP flights I've done. I guess I should take advantage of that.

Great reason to go flying!

I was at wings this afternoon but didn't see you. Post up if you have anither flight into LOM, and check out the FlyBQ next month AdamZ is hosting.

If we ever get a plane of our own I plan on doing PnP. I doubt the place I will be renting from would be happy about me doing it in their plane.

Great reason to go flying!

I was at wings this afternoon but didn't see you. Post up if you have anither flight into LOM, and check out the FlyBQ next month AdamZ is hosting.

I was there around 5:30 or so. I plan on coming back. I'm going to check out the fly-in

Question for you guys...I've been considering doing this. But I don't completely understand the purpose. I've always assumed that if someone wanted to adopt a dog, they could go down to the local shelter and find one. Is there a shortage of adoptable dogs in some locations? I realize it may vary by region. I'm in Dallas if it matters.

I love dogs. And if it really means saving them, then I love the mission.

Question for you guys...I've been considering doing this. But I don't completely understand the purpose. I've always assumed that if someone wanted to adopt a dog, they could go down to the local shelter and find one. Is there a shortage of adoptable dogs in some locations? I realize it may vary by region. I'm in Dallas if it matters.

I can't speak to the overall population numbers of dogs and homes, but can point to one example from PnP: if you scan the transport request board for just a few days, you'll see requests from username mountainpetrescue. He/she has contacts in Texas who rescue large breed dogs from urban shelters, where they are not wanted. He/she then finds homes for them in the rural mountainous areas of Colorado. Large black dogs are not "popular" in urban areas; they are in rural areas. They just need a pilot (or two) to transport the Mountain Dog to a new home.

I'm doing a PnP flight this Saturday. Also heading to the poa cookout at MGY the same time.

The requests for transport I see most often are specific breed rescues or medical treatment rescues.

Many of the flights are to move dogs out of kill shelters to a rescue that can place them or directly to people that want to adopt them.

Did my first flight with Pilots N Paws today. Looked beautiful but was a bit choppy. The pups seemed a bit more interested in sleeping than anything else.

I started small as a freshly minted pilot, I took two pups from KFDK to KLOM.

This guy kept hopping up for a look outside.

Anyone else do it that often? I plan on one a month or so. I will also say that this was my first time into wings field, or flying anywhere near philly. I actually enjoyed it a lot.

Wish I knew you were making a flight today! I am trying to get a Chi from KOKV to KOQN. It was a runaway from a PnP changeover I did on Sunday. He was caught on Monday and I have been busy at work so far this week and haven't been able to get back to Virginia to get him.

He looks like an escape artist, doesn't he?

0f8cb21af6315cad1b746600aa9355ac.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Many of the flights are to move dogs out of kill shelters to a rescue that can place them or directly to people that want to adopt them.

Exactly, there is a steady stream of requests from some southern states to the North.

When you fly them, they know you are there to help them:

f6ddc85e718a6093aa6660344afadc09.jpg

93d789f30418c5368e1152d76658a594.jpg

c2a0366bbcccbb0d3ddcbc30813bc62d.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Exactly, there is a steady stream of requests from some southern states to the North. When you fly them, they know you are there to help them.
Gitmo - congrats on making that first flight. And Marauder, I could not agree more - these dogs know you are a friend.

In NC, with a lack of statewide neutering laws, county shelters can't keep up with the stream of dogs coming in off the street. Many operate at 89% kill rates and the "stay" at the shelter can be as short as 3 days. And with so many animals to put down, it wasn't until Feb 2015 that NC finally outlawed gassing as a legal form of euthanasia. From what I understand it was about as horrific as it gets; groups of dogs shoved into carbon monoxide gas chambers, doors closed ... 'nuff said. Some counties still use "heartstick euthanasia" which is not a pleasant thought either.

So these incredibly compassionate rescue groups watch shelters for adoptable dogs and pull as many as they can. They are often moved up to States where shelters are empty and there may even be waiting lists for dogs.

As in flying, we all have our own minimums when it comes to rescue flights. Some enjoy flying single dogs directly to an adoptive family. I personally prefer to work rescue to rescue, and unless I'm carrying a 150# Rhodesian Ridgeback, rarely make single dog flights. Being based in NC I try and maximize the effort with as many dogs as I can.

I think its important for new volunteers to be aware of the following, regardless of how you participate. I share the below after making 44 rescue flights and transporting 199 dogs since 2011:

• Read the disclaimers on the bottom of every post and understand what it means. You are not making the flight for Pilots N Paws. You are making the flight for the individual or rescue group posting the request. A non issue ... unless you run into problems.
  • There is no vetting of requests by Pilots N Paws. The due diligence to determine the legitimacy of the group and the transport is yours as a pilot.
  • Do not let a rescue group talk you out of needing a Certificate of Veterinary Inspection (CVI) aka health certificate. Some will say its only required for "ground transporters"; others will suggest a "health report card" will do. Some may suggest there is no time. All are usually a ploy to save on vet bills and should be a yellow (if not red) flag. If you have any doubt, verify the requirements on the destination states Dept of AG website.
  • All the above is important as you, not the rescue group or PnP, are carrying the dogs over State lines. If there is an issue with their paperwork or the dogs themselves, you are the transport of record.
I don't mean for the above to sound negative ... just realistic. Some of us (including myself) have gotten caught in real-to-life dog capers as a result of our ignorance. What could go wrong? Pilots have gotten caught in disputes between legitimate (and not so legitimate) rescue groups; state fines have been levied as a result of dogs arriving w/o the proper paperwork; there are even events where police and animal control officers from multiple states have gotten involved.

No question this is the exception rather than the rule, but nonetheless it happens. Folks will take advantage of your generosity and it can be easy to overlook when puppy-love is involved. This hasn't stopped me from making flights, but I also never thought my first call into AOPA's legal desk would be over a dog rescue gone bad. Just be careful out there!

Attachments

• pete_johns-shoulder.jpg
    pete_johns-shoulder.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 65
Last edited:
Rick, thank you for your insight. I have been wanting to register with PNP and had a lot of unanswered questions. You just answered a lot of them so just finalized my registration.

Thank you!

I've been waiting to do my first PnP flight. I still rent and I haven't asked the flight school I rent from if I'm allowed to do something like that in their planes. I'm torn on the whole "it's better to beg forgiveness than ask permission" and whether it applies to this situation.

But PnP is something I'm very much looking forward to taking part in.

Several flights showed up recently on the PnP boards to or from St. Louis too. But I haven't even been able to fly recently to keep current because the wife is graduating pharmacy school and doesn't have a job yet (but her student loans aren't waiting).

I also want to add to what RickG said about the vet inspection.

Always insist on a properly filled out CVI because some states can and will charge you criminally if you get caught without one. I handle the PnP transports for a rescue and being involved in animal rescue I can tell you that sometimes the local authorities have nothing better to do and have a hair across their ass for a certain rescue and you do not want to get caught in the middle of it.

Thanks for volunteering and if third class medical reform ever passes I hope to join you in the air.

I've been waiting to do my first PnP flight. I still rent and I haven't asked the flight school I rent from if I'm allowed to do something like that in their planes. I'm torn on the whole "it's better to beg forgiveness than ask permission" and whether it applies to this situation.

But PnP is something I'm very much looking forward to taking part in.

Several flights showed up recently on the PnP boards to or from St. Louis too. But I haven't even been able to fly recently to keep current because the wife is graduating pharmacy school and doesn't have a job yet (but her student loans aren't waiting).

If you worry about the rental situation, see if the school will allow it when the dog is in a crate.

Next idea....find one of the flights and offer to go along as a helper. That way you can see what the process is, the paperwork, which FBOs offer a discount, etc.

For reference ... there are other organizations committed to animal rescue flights in addition to PnP. All operate using their own request model but may be worthwhile investigating (especially if local). The home base of the organization is in parenthesis ...

RE restraining dogs:

I fly dogs about once a quarter, most recently yesterday. I suggest a crate for the anxious or really strong dogs. I also suggest having another person in the plane to calm the dogs if they are not in a crate. You don't need a 60 lb. new friend on your lap on approach.

That said most of the mellow dogs just think it is nice car ride.

Rick, thanks for the heads up on the CVI. I have never required it and the dogs have always had one but I will require one for now on.

All in all, I find that I get almost as much out of the trip as the dogs do. I fly primarily for business but if I can fly dogs on a long leg at the same time I feel I am doing good while doing well.

Last edited:
Gitmo, GREAT job! Be careful, it's addicting.

And a great post #17 by Rick. Also, a great shot of a dog being rescued.

Here's a couple of add'l points and thoughts:

* I will no longer fly trips that involve more than two legs...three on the very outside. Those that are longer typically go haywire once or twice before finally being completed. I've decided that they're just too much hassle. Plus, there's too much pressure to fly in conditions that you might not ordinarily fly in just to hold up your end of the bargain.

* I make sure one or both parties involved are 501(c)3 organizations. There are a few on PnP who are trying to game the system and transport non-rescue dogs for free. (i.e. dogs that breeders sell to someone out of state).

* If I'm flying a local dog, which is probably 50% of the time, the 30 minute drive to the airports tells me all I need to know about how the dog will fly. With rare exception, they are allowed to be loose in the truck going to the airport. If they drive well, then they'll fly well. They don't know the difference. I've never had one misbehave flying that had behaved while driving to the airport.

* And I'll reinforce what Rick said about the importance of ensuring that the dog has a health certificate, especially if transporting across state lines, which is 90% of the trips I've made.

My favorite PnP photo...we flew this local girl last year from here (SW MO) to OKC. She was a doll.

attachment.php

Attachments

• photo 1-small.jpg
    photo 1-small.jpg
    158.7 KB · Views: 158
That looks like a great pup to fly with. I got lucky and linked up with a gent who was >80 years old and a very experience aviator who was keen to share all the tips with me he could. I'm not doing more than one leg for now, for sure.

My flight was choppy enough that my arm was sore afterward. Nothing dangerous, but nothing recreational either. Just a lot of bumps. That and I couldnt get flight following because approach was way too busy.

I'm going to stick with one a month max I think. The gent who met me said that one of the dogs had made a big gigantic #2 all over his back seat, but I was lucky enough to have them just go to sleep, except for the occasional peak out the window

A blog post was made about it

http://www.box344.blogspot.com/2015/04/new-pilot-makes-his-first-pilots-n-paws.html?m=1

On a side note, I plan on flying out to central MO here soon to visit my Dad, we may have to grab a bite to eat, but be warned... we dont go to lamberts!

Gitmo, thanks for signing up with PnP and saving pups!
I've been a member for over a year and it is fun to fly dogs around, especially if you are a dog lover.
If anybody else wants to sign up, feel free. If you don't know how to start, just jump in an airplane with another local PnP pilot and learn the easy way, by observing.

Some helpful advice for PnP newbies:
- don't feed the dog before the flight (and make such request with the sending party)
- have all of the contact information handy
- have local fosters on stby in case you cannot fly or hand-off the dog
- don't expect all rescue people to be very smart, especially with math, times and weather, they are animal lovers, not pilots
- make sure the dog is either caged, strapped in or handled by a passenger, don't leave them loose unless you are 200% sure they will just sleep
- doggie farts at altitude are sure "fun" to vent from the cabin, do not be surprised! :D
- bring tiny treats to motivate the dog, afterall, you ARE a total stranger to them and some might not be very trusty instantly
- keep your your altitude and descent rates low if you can, dogs don't know how to blow their ears
- if you need special assistance from ATC (such as for shallow descents), just ask - especially if you are using a CMF designator - they usually try to help
- and yes, you may now newly use the CMF designator, or "Compassion Flight" callsign for PnP - if the controller doesn't know what it is, a quick "Pilots-and-paws rescue flight - designation Charlie Mike Foxtrot" usually works
- and of course: don't forget to pet the pup and give them lots of love! :)

Enjoy the rescue flights and take pictures. I have almost a dozen here on my office wall at work. Every one of them was FUN!! :)

doggies.

I actually haven't submitted for the tax write off yet for the PnP flights I've done. I guess I should take advantage of that.

I'm signed up with PnP but haven't done any flights yet. Since I'm only available on weekends right now, :mad2: its hard to put a need I can answer and good weather together to volunteer... Didn't know a Tax Write-off came with the deal...:dunno: Please explain... Full write-off?

I'm signed up with PnP but haven't done any flights yet. Since I'm only available on weekends right now, :mad2: its hard to put a need I can answer and good weather together to volunteer... Didn't know a Tax Write-off came with the deal...:dunno: Please explain... Full write-off?

Technically you're donating to a charity, assuming the people you're working with are 501c3. I think PnP has the tax forms u can download, I just never have.

Didn't know a Tax Write-off came with the deal...:dunno: Please explain... Full write-off?

PnP is a 501c3 registered charity, you can write off your flight expenses which usually consist of fuel and maybe some pro-rata of oil change costs etc. I don't know the exact details, you definitely want to Google it.

I also forgot one detail:
- email PnP for a T-shirt and wear it in public often. And always on PnP flights.

Gitmo, thanks for signing up with PnP and saving pups!
I've been a member for over a year and it is fun to fly dogs around, especially if you are a dog lover.
If anybody else wants to sign up, feel free. If you don't know how to start, just jump in an airplane with another local PnP pilot and learn the easy way, by observing.

Some helpful advice for PnP newbies:
- don't feed the dog before the flight (and make such request with the sending party)
- have all of the contact information handy
- have local fosters on stby in case you cannot fly or hand-off the dog
- don't expect all rescue people to be very smart, especially with math, times and weather, they are animal lovers, not pilots
- make sure the dog is either caged, strapped in or handled by a passenger, don't leave them loose unless you are 200% sure they will just sleep
- doggie farts at altitude are sure "fun" to vent from the cabin, do not be surprised! :D
- bring tiny treats to motivate the dog, afterall, you ARE a total stranger to them and some might not be very trusty instantly
- keep your your altitude and descent rates low if you can, dogs don't know how to blow their ears
- if you need special assistance from ATC (such as for shallow descents), just ask - especially if you are using a CMF designator - they usually try to help
- and yes, you may now newly use the CMF designator, or "Compassion Flight" callsign for PnP - if the controller doesn't know what it is, a quick "Pilots-and-paws rescue flight - designation Charlie Mike Foxtrot" usually works
- and of course: don't forget to pet the pup and give them lots of love! :)

Enjoy the rescue flights and take pictures. I have almost a dozen here on my office wall at work. Every one of them was FUN!! :)

Wow - CMF flight designator is cool! That is something neat I didnt know!

Compassion Flight call sign has been around for years so most controllers should be familiar with it. It doesn't provide any special, expeditious or priority handling.

Question,if you are doing a long cross country,what responsibility do I have on the overnight stop?

On a side note, I plan on flying out to central MO here soon to visit my Dad, we may have to grab a bite to eat, but be warned... we dont go to lamberts!

Just let me know where/when! I'll make it if at all possible.

First, Sikeston is NOT a very nice town.

Second, it would be just as healthy to dump a jug of lard down your throat (of course, you'd want to heat it up first so it'd slide better).

Third, you'll be in a room full of people who average a BMI of ^100 and who waddle in and stuff their faces with as many "throwed rolls" and add'l servings as they can coax out of the waiters. This after fighting over the handicapped parking space so they don't have to walk.

In summary, on the typical day it's an obesity gorge fest. Enough to ruin even the most hearty appetite.

And I'm not talking average middle aged American fat here...I'm talking "holy cow how did you fit that a$$ though a 3' door?" fat!

It's not a B.U.F.F.E.T. but in many regards it's worse.

(And if you're not familiar with the acronym...B.U.F.F.E.T. = Big Ugly Fat Fu...ummm...Folks Eating Together). :goofy:

Someday I'll tell you how I really feel! ;)

Last edited:
First, Sikeston is NOT a very nice town.

Second, it would be just as healthy to dump a jug of lard down your throat (of course, you'd want to heat it up first so it'd slide better).

Third, you'll be in a room full of people who average a BMI of ^100 and who waddle in and stuff their faces with as many "throwed rolls" and add'l servings as they can coax out of the waiters. This after fighting over the handicapped parking space so they don't have to walk.

In summary, on the typical day it's an obesity gorge fest. Enough to ruin even the most hearty appetite.

And I'm not talking average middle aged American fat here...I'm talking "holy cow how did you fit that a$$ though a 3' door?" fat!

It's not a B.U.F.F.E.T. but in many regards it's worse.

(And if you're not familiar with the acronyms...B.U.F.F.E.T. = Big Ugly Fat Fu...ummm...Folks Eating Together). :goofy:

Someday I'll tell you how I really feel! ;)

Sounds like we share some opinions on certain parts of the population. The novelty of a throwed roll wears off when you die of a heart attack.

Bravo to you sir from a fellow dog lover. I'd love to do it but we're not in an area with a lot of traffic and my flights are so limited mostly within State, that I'm not much help after I looked into it.

I had the back seat out of our skywagon for a while and looked into P&P but never got around to doing it. With the back seat out, I could have hauled a big container tied down and a big dog back there.

The logistics of where we are isn't the best and a foster situation won't work for us with four older mean dogs already. :redface:

Back