First flight with my wife

JBHusted

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Husted
KSWO to O47 yesterday for dinner with my folks. First time the lovely and talented Mrs. Husted had flown with me (without a CFI). Gorgeous clear skies, very little wind on the ground, should be a perfect day for her.

Alas, I was sorely mistaken.

Left KSWO about 4pm and hunted for smooth air from 2000 to 5500 and found nothing but bumps. The. Whole. Way. To. O47. Not good, dude, not good at all.

The one (1) Dramamine she took before leaving wasn't enough :nonod:

She didn't eat dinner, and was about ready to *walk* home rather than get back in the plane. She is, however, an *amazing* woman and (after taking two more Dramamine), climbed onboard.

Took off from O47 about 6pm, and the flight back couldn't have been more different. Silky smooth air the whole way. She took a ton of pics, talked more, asked me to "fly over there so I can get a better pic". She did, however, force me to take her to Braums after we landed. For those of you who don't know what Braums, is, I feel sorry for the quality of life you must endure.

So. . .Thank you Jesus for smooth air coming home! After the flight down, I figured I just spent $9k for a pilot license and I'd never get my wife back in a plane. The flight back made her smile and opened the door to future flights.

Dairy barns at OKState
uc

17 at KSWO. . .washed out by the flash of the camera
uc

And yet another gorgeous Oklahoma sunset.
uc

Congrats.

The turbulence Gods are fickle bastards....

Texas plains and OK in the Spring, you're going to find very early in the morning or very late the smoothest times ...

Sounds like a great second half of the day.
Perchance were the pics you inserted just from your own computer memory and not from a file-sharing site? I'm not seeing anything but a small empty square. Not sure if that's an issue on my end or yours...

Pics should be from my Google Drive account. . .lemme try another browser and make sure they're not cached locally. If so, I'll move 'em to photobucket. . .

ETA: I checked this thread via Remote Desktop from another machine (one I seldom use) and the images showed up. :dunno:

Last edited:
Pics came in loud and clear on my end....

Sounds like a great ending to a funky start....

Ps... She is officially HOOKED...

Quick touching up for you here...

attachment.php

I think the shadows were too heavy in this one...

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• Flight to Prague 002 (Medium) - bright.jpg
    Flight to Prague 002 (Medium) - bright.jpg
    797.9 KB · Views: 429
  • Flight to Prague 002 (Medium) - dark.jpg
    Flight to Prague 002 (Medium) - dark.jpg
    677.9 KB · Views: 428
  • Flight to Prague 041 (Medium) - crop.jpg
    Flight to Prague 041 (Medium) - crop.jpg
    367.8 KB · Views: 413
Awesome ride! Prague is just a little NE of here :wink2: The 2nd half of the day I was hearing positive reports from pilots, but not sure what altitudes they were flying at. A baron gave a two thumbs up to the day but he might be heavier than you :D

Beautiful pics. Loved the windsock sunset!!!

My wife, who has maintained there is no need to witness a sunrise because it looks just like a sunset, will happily select the wheels-up time at dawn.
She'll do anything reasonable to avoid turbulance.

My wife, who has maintained there is no need to witness a sunrise because it looks just like a sunset, will happily select the wheels-up time at dawn.
She'll do anything reasonable to avoid turbulance.

Smart woman.....:yes:

Wife and I went to Ocean City tonight. Her first flight. Really windy but super smooth at altitude (5k).

We made 143kts GS in a Cherokee 140 because the tailwind was so strong. Now I just hope the wind has flipped tomorrow when we go back lol.

Wife and I went to Ocean City tonight. Her first flight. Really windy but super smooth at altitude (5k).

We made 143kts GS in a Cherokee 140 because the tailwind was so strong. Now I just hope the wind has flipped tomorrow when we go back lol.

Good luck with that idea....:rofl::rofl:......:)

Great shots, Husted! And I know what Braums is, although they are not in the Memphis area. I used to frequent Fayetteville, AR, and Braums is there :).

Glad it worked out for you. The first time I took my wife up the wind picked up a bunch and almost got blown off the side of the runway and dropped it in to boot. Worst landing I have ever made. She just said, " is that normal?"

Sounds like a great second half of the day.
Perchance were the pics you inserted just from your own computer memory and not from a file-sharing site? I'm not seeing anything but a small empty square. Not sure if that's an issue on my end or yours...

That's all I got on the iPad.

Braums is fast food restaurant with a great ice cream selection comparable to Baskin-Robbins. They have pretty good burgers. Used to eat there frequently when I lived in Oklahoma.

Jim R
Collierville, TN

N7155H--1946 Piper J-3 Cub
N3368K--1946 Globe GC-1B Swift
N4WJ--1994 Van's RV-4

Whoa, that was amazing. What'd you do to touch them up like that?

Thanks,
It's actually extremely simple with the right tools. You get 90% of the benefit for the first 5% of effort and you can spend another 95% of your time trying to tweak the last 10% (which I obviously skipped).

I used Photoshop CS2 because the UI is so easy, but I could have also used the freely available Gimp.

I just wanted to correct the exposure which can be accomplished by adjusting the "Levels" (the white, black, and gray points in the exposure histogram). You can even let the software run its auto algorithm and automatically balance it for you.

In PS this is Image->Adjustments->Auto Levels and in Gimp it is Colors->Auto->White Balance and Colors->Auto->Normalize.

Manual tweaking can be done under Image->Adjustments->Levels in PS and Colors->Levels and Colors->Curves in Gimp. PS is much easier to use than Gimp but also a lot more expensive.

If you're on Winblows and want to play with Gimp:
http://download.gimp.org/pub/gimp/v2.8/windows/gimp-2.8.14-setup.exe
Or on Mac:
http://gimp.lisanet.de/Website/Download.html

So. . .Thank you Jesus for smooth air coming home! After the flight down, I figured I just spent $9k for a pilot license and I'd never get my wife back in a plane. The flight back made her smile and opened the door to future flights.

Good to hear it was a smooth flight back. Once our Brides find out about the utility of quick access to their favorite places, the plane is an ok thing. Nice pics!

We walked the boardwalk last night. Not many days left to get the dog out for some socialization. It was windy on the boards but a good crowd.

Looks like a perfect day to fly today. Hope you enjoyed OC. We're in hangar F7, stop by and say hello if there is a vehicle parked there or the hangar is open.

Last edited:
Glad the return was enjoyable. My wife and one of my kids aren't flyers, calm air or not. My other kids love it, and one wants to train in our airplane someday!

I'm also in the "wife won't fly" situation. She knows I love it and doesn't discourage it but all my flying is solo.

I'm also in the "wife won't fly" situation. She knows I love it and doesn't discourage it but all my flying is solo.

If all your flying is solo, then you need to get a P51.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We've got no children, and since we're both in our mid-30s, that means we don't have any friends we can do stuff with, either. . .so either I fly by myself or she flies with me. Much prefer to have her along for the ride!

Thankfully I'm not one of those guys who flies to get AWAY from his wife!

We've got no children, and since we're both in our mid-30s, that means we don't have any friends we can do stuff with, either. . .so either I fly by myself or she flies with me. Much prefer to have her along for the ride!

Thankfully I'm not one of those guys who flies to get AWAY from his wife!

Same here, we fly together, just the two of us. The dog, who is a fearless hound with a very loud bark, is a total wimp when it comes to airplanes so he stays at home. :D Though we do have a very few childless friends our age who rarely go with us.

My wife too does not like turbulence so we choose to fly at calmer times (early in the morning or late toward the evening - because frankly, the thermals here in Texas can go thousands of feet high).

KSWO to O47 yesterday for dinner with my folks. First time the lovely and talented Mrs. Husted had flown with me (without a CFI). Gorgeous clear skies, very little wind on the ground, should be a perfect day for her.

Alas, I was sorely mistaken.

So sorry. For everyone else who is SINGLE and reading this thread: audition your potential spouse in the airplane while dating. Then enjoy a long flying marriage.

She did, however, force me to take her to Braums after we landed. For those of you who don't know what Braums, is, I feel sorry for the quality of life you must endure.

Texas Dairy Queens > Braums

-Sendero, A Texan living in a foreign country without Steak Finger baskets.

But if you wanted to get really technical: Blue Bell > Everything Else.

Congrats on the flight! ;)

Worst thing for motion sickness is to skip a meal in preparation.

Man, I cant wait to fly with my wife. She used to skydive with me so I know she will be fine in the plane.

So sorry. For everyone else who is SINGLE and reading this thread: audition your potential spouse in the airplane while dating. Then enjoy a long flying marriage.

Agreed!

My girlfriend who is 100% on board with flying with me (as long as it is traveling, not just flying around the pattern) told me much later that she was really nervous the first time I took her up. She didn't want to say anything at the time and she seemed to be handling it just fine but apparently she was white knuckled the whole flight.

Now, look at that smile!
attachment.php

Attachments

• image 4.jpg
    image 4.jpg
    654.8 KB · Views: 123

I used to fly dates up to San Francisco from Long Beach for dinner, that was always a good test.

Good to hear it was a smooth flight back. Once our Brides find out about the utility of quick access to their favorite places, the plane is an ok thing. Nice pics!

We walked the boardwalk last night. Not many days left to get the dog out for some socialization. It was windy on the boards but a good crowd.

Looks like a perfect day to fly today. Hope you enjoyed OC. We're in hangar F7, stop by and say hello if there is a vehicle parked there or the hangar is open.

It's a ghost town right now so that was nice.

The winds were gusting 18 but straight down RWY20 when we took off to head back. Wife got sick because it was turbulent. R-4006 was hot so we couldn't get up very high like on the way there to reach smoother air.

I let ATC know she was sick and they offered to clear us into Andrew's AFB airspace on the way home as a shortcut. That was really cool. You normally don't get that close to the city. Got neat some pictures.

She swears she had a blast though. Next time I'll try to avoid taking her up mid-day. Or buy her some seabands.

Last edited:
Agreed!

My girlfriend who is 100% on board with flying with me (as long as it is traveling, not just flying around the pattern) told me much later that she was really nervous the first time I took her up. She didn't want to say anything at the time and she seemed to be handling it just fine but apparently she was white knuckled the whole flight.

Now, look at that smile!
attachment.php

My very first thought was....................

Don't step off the wing walk with those shoes.....

My second thought was..... What a KOOL paint /decal paint job......

Third thought was.........................

Decent looking gal...:yes:;)

Back