First flight in a brand new Redbird FMX

V1-Vr-V2

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
V1-Vr-V2
Yesterday, I had the chance to help the Redbird rep and the sim's new owner put the finishing touches on a brand new, factory fresh Redbird FMX - buttoning up the shell, helping to route cables, peeling off the wrapping, testing things out - the fun stuff in other words! :yes: Honestly, it was pretty awesome to be able to be involved with the setup and testing. As someone who has been simming for close to 20 years and never thought I'd have something with 8 screens and a full motion platform available to me, I was like a kid in a candy store. The icing on the cake was to be able to sit left seat for its inaugural "flight" yesterday after assembly, and today, being the one to take it on the first "revenue" IFR flight training mission.

The sim is located in Longmont, CO at KLMO, Vance Brand airport. For those in the northern Denver metro area, up to and beyond Fort Collins, I'd recommend giving these guys a try - http://www.aero-sphere.com/

13389314374_4f24e71594_c.jpg

Prior to putting on the side panels.

13389038855_3885838e97_c.jpg

View of the back of the display system. The duct work belongs to the environmental system.

13389395914_7197433bdd_c.jpg

Where the magic happens, the CPU box.

13389014675_8ec7845521_c.jpg

Fired up and ready to fly.

What are they charging?
He's just getting started up and is running some deals so it ends up being between $65/hr to the $80/hr stated on their website. The owner seems to be pretty open to finding the price the market will sustain though so it sounds like there may be some tweaks to the rate as that gets worked out.

That looks just like the one I have been using. My rate is closer to 100/hr, which I think is steep, and is frankly as much or more than it is for me to fly my own plane per hour. But it really does allow you some advantages over a real plane for certain parts of IFR training, and it was great during the winter when dispatching in my plane would have been very problematic.

I did about 10 hrs of my IFR training in a Redbird that was $75/hr. I found it really useful for nailing holding procedures and setting up for approaches

I've been using a PFC CRX promotion AATD for my personal instrument currency as well as instructing. It go's for $45/hour, so I imagine the redbird could command a little more than that, but $80 seems a bit high.

Also, is the Redbird you use SEL piston only or can you do Multi/turbine as well?

Also, is the Redbird you use SEL piston only or can you do Multi/turbine as well?
It's only setup for a 172 with a Garmin 430+530 and a 182 with a KLN 94 (I think). But, word is that he wants to get an RG and i wouldn't be surprised if there's a twin in there at some point as well.

Now just imagine if it had real ATC :)
Exactly! The owner is from SoCal (or at least spends a lot of time there) so I'd like to get it setup on PilotEdge so that he can experience that aspect. Or, if you expand to cover ZDV... ;) haha

It's only setup for a 172 with a Garmin 430+530 and a 182 with a KLN 94 (I think). But, word is that he wants to get an RG and i wouldn't be surprised if there's a twin in there at some point as well.

Exactly! The owner is from SoCal (or at least spends a lot of time there) so I'd like to get it setup on PilotEdge so that he can experience that aspect. Or, if you expand to cover ZDV... ;) haha

An RG would be a decent investment. Sims offer a great, reduced step platform for introducing complex procedures,so the trainee feels more ready when he /she gets into the airplane.

I helped put one together in Omaha.....only one in Nebraska AFAIK.....it's a neat thing to have. They're (IMO) perfect for instrument and procedures training, not so much for getting the seat of your pants feeling down that is critical to being a pilot.

Really cool. The one at my flight school looks identical but it's not a motion sim(I believe it's an LD).

The only complaint I had about it was that control pressures never changed, but I guess that's probably asking too much of a simulator at this price point.

Sure would LOVE to have one in my basement.

That said, are there any good websites out there for home simulator guys? I had one and really liked it at one point, albeit a simple one. I've been thinking of building another.

The Redbird simulators are a great tool for our company. As the company grows we plan on expanding different platforms like multiengine or piper Meridian etc.
So far we've had a great turnout and awesome feedback from the public and from the users. I currently have about seven instructors checked out and ready to give instruction or mentoring in the Redbird. And as one of the members mentioned we are configured as a Cessna 172 with Garman 430 and 530. And also a 182 RG with a KLN94

We are also in the process of updating some of the terrain and visuals to give a more real-life experience. I'm very excited about this as it will provide great tool for the VFR pilots as they trained to do their maneuvers.

Back