First flight as PIC in nearly 5 years

atbroome

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
ATB
After not having been PIC since Aug 2012 and not even a passenger in a piston airplane since 2013, I went up with an instructor for the first time last week. With 1.4 hours on the ground and 1.1 in the air, I am happy to have started the process of flying again. The instructor and I agreed that I'll likely need 1-2 more flights before I'm ready to be signed off. Hopefully I can keep up the flying this time and stay on the road to ownership and an Instrument Rating.

For anyone local to the D.C. metro area, I decided to go with Aviation Adventures at KHWY (Warrenton) rather than KHEF(Manassas). After learning and doing most of my flying at at class D in NJ, flying at a friendly pilot controlled airport out of the SFRA was a great way to restart. The instructor (Ken) spent much of the time pointing out local landmarks so I could navigate GPS-less and chart-less which I found very helpful.

Welcome and see you around the SFRA.

Rock and roll! Glad your getting back in the saddle. Good luck and have fun!

And now after a second long session I'm signed off on my flight review and the rental aircraft checkout. Woohoo!

Congrats! I'm in the same boat. Last PIC logged was 8/2012. I attended a Rusty Pilot seminar last month, followed by another hour with my CFI covering the changes and happenings operations-wise at the club. Yesterday was a bumpy 2.3, with another round tomorrow. Its great to be back!

Great to see an inactive pilot back in the air. It's what the industry needs along with new blood.

Was that the one at Frederick at the AOPA building? If so, I was there too.

Congrats! I'm in the same boat. Last PIC logged was 8/2012. I attended a Rusty Pilot seminar last month, followed by another hour with my CFI covering the changes and happenings operations-wise at the club. Yesterday was a bumpy 2.3, with another round tomorrow. Its great to be back!

I did both flights barely looking at the 430w in the plane or the devices I had running ForeFlight. This is surprising since I trained in a DA20 that had a 430 and the club I was a member of in NJ had a 172 with a 430w. I always found myself staring at those. I'd say a thumbs up to the instructor for focusing on the local land marks and looking out of the plane

Congrats! I just got back in the saddle after nearly 40 years. Bought a plane last month and flew it home to Texas just five days ago. First cross country in four decades and even flew through Dallas Bravo. In an Ercoupe. Loved it.

Welcome back. I have a 10 year hole in my logbook from 1982 to 1992. I woke up one day and said "hey that's too long." Got a medical, BFR, rental checkout, and headed to Oshkosh in the space a few months.

Welcome back! All-too-common of a story. I have a 2005-2013 hole. Really more of a 2003 to 2013 since there was only a BFR in 2005 without any follow up. PPL(2001) to 2013 total time: 7 hours! Mostly due to a minor medical reason that was just to expensive(at the time) to deal with. Got back into it totally accidentally. Lost my paper certificate and went to get it back. Which got me thinking. And here we are, 230 hours later.

Sometimes it is hard to come back. But all will come back to you soon. Just have fun !

Back