First flight after getting your PPL...?

My brother refuses to fly with me no matter how many hours I have (about 110 right now). His wife's brother has over 1500 hours and he won't fly with him either. He says he won't fly in anything smaller than a 737.

i finally broke my sister to go with me after getting my instrument rating. went to KMHT and got some actual time which was cool. i had about 120 hours at that time. everytime i asked, she said no. she told me she wont even go up with my dad who has 27,000 hrs and flies for delta. but i finally broke her and she said she would go up with me again!

Plenty of pilots with thousands of hours kill themselves(and helpless passengers) too.

I don't think there's anything wrong with him, I just think he's ignorant about what's involved with PPL training.

By your logic, nobody should carry passengers until they have 200 hours. And to me, that logic is faulty.

Would you fly with a brand new PP in a seat without controls? Thought not. We're a bunch of hypocrites chastising strangers for not doing what we would not do(not having access to controls and not knowing how to use them functionally having the same potential result.)

Plenty of pilots with thousands of hours kill themselves(and helpless passengers) too.

I don't think there's anything wrong with him, I just think he's ignorant about what's involved with PPL training.

By your logic, nobody should carry passengers until they have 200 hours. And to me, that logic is faulty.

You might want to check out the book, The Killing Zone. I'm not saying you're a bad pilot. (I'm still in the "Killing Zone" myself, so don't take offense.) But there is a clear statistical difference between accident rates for low time and experienced pilots. There is some good information in there to help you as you continue to learn.

I had my PPL checkride on a Saturday morning.

Passed it, flew back to GTU from Brownwood. Picked up my wife and daughter, fueled up the plane and took of on a two week trip across the country. Flew up to Pine Bluff Arkansas that afternoon, and Pittsburgh the following day.

-Dan

After the exam, CFI said well fly me back as PIC.
Said "No, I promised mom she would be first passenger."

She loved it. I have been fortunate to have a lot of people asking to go up with me. Got my PPL a month ago and think I have had about 10 passengers. Have 122 hours for what it's worth.

At any rate. This was number 1
1377059_10202346981262822_1366973958_n.jpg

Dad is going up with me Wednesday, but he's got 300+ hours;) I think I just hijacked my own thread:lol:

Does he fly with your dad? Perhaps he'll go with you and dad, with dad "helping" you fly? :)

I took a close friend up on my first flight as a pilot shortly after getting my newly minted license to learn. My problem was usually finding a way to sneak down to the airport and fly by myself to try new things out.

OP, you have to earn the trust.

So I'm a gray haired guy, not quite 60, and there are only 5 guys on my base with whom I will fly as a passenger. As CFI, that's a different matter.

I have about 8K hours and have been at it since the early 70s. You don't fly that long and survive without being smart, conservative, and guarded. Your Brother is smart.

4 days after my checkride... took my mom for a local flight. She loved it.

A few weeks later... 2nd flight: took my dad on a $100 hamburger trip. He loved it.

Does he fly with your dad? Perhaps he'll go with you and dad, with dad "helping" you fly? :)

Dad quit flying around 2006. Never did my brother fly with him, come to think of it neither did I... Bro always said he was scared dad would kill him and I sort of listened. But I haven't had the best relationship with dad in the past which was also a contributing factor. Looking back, I wish I would have. Dad is talking about getting current again and buying a LSA. Which I hope he does.

I'm taking him up Wednesday if the weather is agreeable. While he isn't current, having 300+ hours in 172s and 182s, I know he can give me pointers and even land the airplane if I have a heart attack:yes:

After thinking about it, I guess I understand the sentiment about trusting the pilot. When I go up for a ride with someone and I'm in the right seat, I'm always a tiny bit uneasy simply because I'm not the one who has control.

I completely reject the idea that if you don't crash, you're not pushing it hard enough. The only people who say that are the guys who are consistently putting their bikes in the dirt:)

I completely reject the idea that if you don't crash, you're not pushing it hard enough. The only people who say that are the guys who are consistently putting their bikes in the dirt:)

There's two was to get fast. Get fast, quickly and fall in the process while you're waiting for your experience to catch up with talent, judgement and balls.

Or, get fast, slowly and not fall but take many years to do it.

I opted for #2.

And I "love" seeing white plates on trackday bikes. ugh. I earned mine damnit!

There's two was to get fast. Get fast, quickly and fall in the process while you're waiting for your experience to catch up with talent, judgement and balls.

Or, get fast, slowly and not fall but take many years to do it.

I opted for #2.

And I "love" seeing white plates on trackday bikes. ugh. I earned mine damnit!

LOL. I didn't think anyone cared about that. I really didn't know when I first did it... I was a noob at the time and to me it looked better than everyone else's numbers made with blue duct tape!

Friend of mine spent all of 2012 crashing. Then this season, he didn't crash once and absolutely wrecked his personal best times. Go figure.

No offence, but I wouldn't ride with a newly minted PPL either if I were not a pilot too. And especially if I knew the newly minted PPL is some thrillseeker into bike racing, etc, major red flags right there.

The first 100-200 hours after getting your PPL will be among the most dangerous hours that you have while you REALLY learn how to fly.

What did you do?

I got my license in SoCal at Apple Valley Airport on the day before my birthday. My parents live in NorCal and it had always been our tradition to meet at Harris Ranch (middle of the state) for Sunday brunch around my birthday. Since the next day was my birthday and happened to be a Sunday, I called them and confirmed our brunch. I did not tell them I was flying up. The next day we met at the restaurant and after brunch we went outside and walked over to the tie-down area and I showed them my "ride". My dad agreed to go fly with me and had a great time. My mom refused :nono:; in fact, it wasn't until a couple years ago that she finally flew with me for the first time, some 1200 hours later! :yesnod:

Back