First Female Afghan Air Force Pilot

IDK her situation but I really wouldn't want to go back either. Not so much for the luxury we have here but I can't imagine being a female pilot in afgan is good for your safety.

I know military life isn't "safe" but she seems like she would be a prime target for a murder.

Her asylum request should be denied. We are training her and others like her so that they can secure their country's security themselves so our young men and women do not have to do it. We should send her back and any others requesting asylum as well.

I read about her, and her life has been threatened, along with her family's. Even her relatives have threatened her. A little different deal being an educated woman over there, gets ya killed.

Her asylum request should be denied. We are training her and others like her so that they can secure their country's security themselves so our young men and women do not have to do it. We should send her back and any others requesting asylum as well.

Yeah, she should go back to Afghanistan, where any male military pilot who feels emasculated by having a female pilot who's a better stick than he is might exercise his religious duty to insure she's raped, then murdered for her obviously corrupt western ways. That sounds fair.

She looks like she can probably take care of herself given the chance. But, if she says she in fear for her life, I'd give her the benefit of the doubt.

Anyone here remember the first couple of female Navy carrier qual'd pilots? remember what a PITA that all was for everyone involved? And, that was here in good 'ol 'Merica. Just imagine what its like in a Muslim country, where honor killings and Burquas are still the norm.

I read about her, and her life has been threatened, along with her family's. Even her relatives have threatened her. A little different deal being an educated woman over there, gets ya killed.

Trying to get an education as a girl attending grade school can get ya killed.

I lived, worked and travelled throughout the Middle East during the first 8 years of this century. Came away with the firm view that region is steadily falling further behind the rest of an increasingly connected, globalized world.

I kinda side with Skydog on this. She talks how poorly women are treated but you've got like 2,000 women in the Afghan military, serving in all capacities. While women aren't treated nearly as well as women here, the government would never let that many serve if they were so set at oppressing them. She is the first female FW AF pilot EVER there. This never would have happened on Taliban rule in the 90s.

Yes, the Taliban has threaten her but yet she's been flying for over 4 yrs without a an attempt on her life? Seems like pretty hollow threats to me. Also, it's the Taliban, they're suppose to threaten, not only women but the men. They threatened American military lives there...that's why they're called the ENEMY.

Finally, you have American and Allied lives that were lost trying to liberate them of Taliban rule. We gave them a damn good start at peace and living without the true oppression and archaic polices of the Tali. What kind of message is she sending when she doesn't want to take over the reins?

To me, this is nothing more than taking advantage of an opportunity that presented itself. No different than the Afghan male pilots now seeking asylum. She got pampered here with attention and seen what real freedom looks like. I mean, they took her up with the Blues! :rolleyes: All of this while a small corps of Afghan Commandos and a few fine officers remain between a fragile peace and the chaos of another Taliban takeover.

Last edited:
The path to heroic role model is not without the risk of martyrdom.

We should not grant her asylum because of her inability to think through the consequences of her choices.

Dr MLK received hundreds of death threats, likewise for Ghandi, Mandela, etc, etc - there is no reward without risk.

We paid for the training and transportation to the US,now granted asylum,will probably be offered a job with the airlines. Why would she want to fly in a war zone?

We paid for the training and transportation to the US,now granted asylum,will probably be offered a job with the airlines. Why would she want to fly in a war zone?

Well, hopefully to protect her family and other peaceful Afghans from oppressive Taliban rule. It’s about stepping up to what amounts to common bullies so that the nation as a whole can prosper. I was sent there to fulfill that objective and I’m not even from there.

This is why these areas will probably never improve. Most of those who could make a difference run off to the West where the hard work of building a civilised society has already been done by previous generations. Who can blame them, really, but it sucks for those with the courage to stay behind and try to make a difference.

Some people want to stand for ABC and live for the glory of XYZ, some people just want to have as nice a life as possible with the least amount of hassle. I think the gene pool favors the second group.

Back