First cross country dual today

Daniel L

Ejection Handle Pulled
Display Name

Display name:
Daniel
Well it happened at last with my first cross country. It was a bit over two hours round trip.

I was cautiously optimistic that I'd have calm winds at 5500 as the winds aloft predicted. It did, boy it was smooth as silk as we moved along.

On the return leg we did some simulated instrument and when he had me remove the hood he had me on a beautiful dog-leg approach for the airport. It was a nice descent but I ended up with too much energy and coasted a bit down the field before touching down.

My comms were solid, my major points were solid, usage of the map was on point, spotted the many instances of traffic along the way. Adjusted altitude as needed.

It was a perfect day to fly, and so glad I pleased my CFI.

Next flight up is a 3 hour cross country, which will get us to my 5 hours.

From there, i have some solo cross country and some night flying to cover and it'll be time for check ride prep.

My written is in a few weeks. Pretty much ready for it. Just have a few more rounds of flash cards to study and it's solid.

Mid to late July is my goal for getting my PPL. I can finally see the light at the end of the tunnel.

By the way, the controllers at KMOD are the nicest set of controllers I've yet encountered.

Congrats! Ain’t it nice to fly somewhere? Solo XC will be even more exciting. Enjoy. Don’t let any unexpected delays get ya down, you’re on your way.

A positive experience, always a good thing

It sounds like you’re getting close, keep at it, and knock out the test. Checkride prep is just to polish up the skills, hopefully the oral prep is also a good tune up and the actual event is easy peasy.

Yessir, XCs are fun. Especially if you get lost, which is hard to do now with trainers having GPS onboard. You'll enjoy your solo XCs too.

Yessir, XCs are fun. Especially if you get lost, which is hard to do now with trainers having GPS onboard. You'll enjoy your solo XCs too.

I got lost on my first dual cross country.

I could not find the airport. I circled a few times to get my bearings. Finally my instructor told me to look under the airplane, and there it was. 2500 feet down.

Fun aint it! Wait till you do a 'real' x/c after you get your ppl.
I have a growing bucket list which is why I wanted to fly to begin with.

Sent from my BBB100-3 using Tapatalk

was that finger meant for all the other vertical video takers out there?

There was a time the middle finger meant *FU*. There was a time that was not a polite expression. I don't know what time it is.

Awesome work on that XC. I would pester my instructor to "go somewhere" constantly during my first few lessons, till he finally gave in and we did a night XC to BFL. I learned so much about power control and trim, as well as navigation. We also got lasered by some clown coming over GMN and then on final to BFL and ended up chatting with a nice cop on the ground about what happened. Was a really interesting experience. I intentionally incorporated XCs into training that had dual purposes (work trips and trips to find our new house). It really made the solo XC experience a lot easier, and I learned to really work the radios.

Awesome work on that XC. I would pester my instructor to "go somewhere" constantly during my first few lessons, till he finally gave in and we did a night XC to BFL. I learned so much about power control and trim, as well as navigation. We also got lasered by some clown coming over GMN and then on final to BFL and ended up chatting with a nice cop on the ground about what happened. Was a really interesting experience. I intentionally incorporated XCs into training that had dual purposes (work trips and trips to find our new house). It really made the solo XC experience a lot easier, and I learned to really work the radios.

Thanks man. Wednesday we go north for a 3 hour round trip. One the way back we'll do a diversion followed by some maneuvers. Today we did a ground session on night flying. Looking forward to that.

You're so lucky. I look forward to every lesson.

Back