First class medical with Schizoid

• Thread starter Possible Schizoid PD
  • Start date
This is the thing that scares me. This whole “reform” movement going on regarding pilot mental health seems to be focused on the idea that anyone should be able to be a pilot, no matter their mental health state. And pardon the pun, but that’s just crazy. I wish the OP well and I truly empathize and hope you find the help that you need, but there are no circumstances under which I think this person should be flying airplanes.
I agree as for class 1 and 2 class 3 should be a DL at worst basic medical.

I agree as for class 1 and 2 class 3 should be a DL at worst basic medical.

The FAA’s concern is that a class 3 let’s you fly the same planes and carry the same number of passengers as classes 1 and 2. If you’re as wealthy as John Travolta, with your class 3 you can buy your own airliner and fly 100 of your closest friends to Bermuda as long as you pay a pro rata share of the cost.

Last edited:
The FAA’s concern is that a class 3 let’s you fly the same planes and carry the same number of passengers as classes 1 and 2. If you’re as wealthy as John Travolta, with your class 3 you can buy your own airliner and fly 100 of your closest friends to Bermuda as long as you pay a pro rata share of the cost.
Maybe they could require a class 2 for large aircraft.

Maybe they could require a class 2 for large aircraft.

Or maybe there could be a different option just for flying small aircraft with few passengers. Maybe something that didn't require an AME but could be done by any physician. Something that didn't involve OKC and special issuances. That's what we need. Something simple. Something basic. Now how could we do that......

Easily solved by requiring a class 2 for aircraft requiring a type rating.

Class 3 should be otherwise eliminated under the does more harm than good clause.

Easily solved by requiring a class 2 for aircraft requiring a type rating.

Or maybe there could be a different option just for flying small aircraft with few passengers. Maybe something that didn't require an AME but could be done by any physician. Something that didn't involve OKC and special issuances. That's what we need. Something simple. Something basic. Now how could we do that......

Travolta can't fly anybody in his 707. He's only typed as SIC.

BasicMed still requires one third class issuance.

Back