First Class Medical with GAD and SSRI

MegatronFlies81

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
MegatronFlies81
I need some opinions here. Just to disclose, I have not filled out MedExpress or gone through the actual examination. In 2019, I saw my pcp for anxiety issues that I was going through during my first years of high school. Now that I'm in college, I no longer experience these anxieties. I was never prescribed any medication from this physician. Instead, they recommended seeing a psychiatrist. So, I did just that. The psychiatrist ended up diagnosing me with GAD and prescribing me 50 mg of sertraline (Zoloft). I was taking the medication from 2019 - 2023. Recently, I got off the medication (with a note from my psychiatrist recommending that I stop taking medication) in hopes of pursuing a pilot career. I scheduled a consultation with an HIMS AME and showed him all of my records and notes from every single psychiatric appointment (most of the appointments showing consistent improvement and stability). After going over all my information, the AME said that as long as I get a note from my psychiatrist after 90 days saying I'm well and the anxiety is resolved he can issue on site in the office. He said that most of his patients in the same boat as me have little to no trouble with this. I asked him if I would need a psych or cog eval and he said I essentially already have one since I have a psychiatrist who's known me for years and has been evaluating me for years. He said that it helps because the doctor who prescribed and is taking me off the medication actually knows my condition very well. I found this very surprising since everyone online said this would be an extensive, expensive process. Will this go as planned or should I expect a lot of hiccups from the FAA?

Last edited:
@bbchien would know the answer since he essentially wrote the FAA’s book on SSRI usage.

For greater than 6 month duration usage, He’d still have to get telephonic approval. The other conditions that would have to be met:

Total duration of symptoms <<5 years….you’re right up at the edge and the psychiatrist’s commentary is CRUCIAL here.
Sole episode in your life
No suicidality ever, no compromise to reality testing.

And he would have to find the right examiner…on the phone…..

After 5 years duration most of the OKC guys will push it to the one psychiatry examiner (as that a big risk factor for reoccurrence) who does yeoman duty and he cannot always be reached, so YMMV……

For greater than 6 month duration usage, He’d still have to get telephonic approval. The other conditions that would have to be met:

Total duration of symptoms <<5 years….you’re right up at the edge and the psychiatrist’s commentary is CRUCIAL here.
Sole episode in your life
No suicidality ever, no compromise to reality testing.

And he would have to find the right examiner…on the phone…..

After 5 years duration most of the OKC guys will push it to the one psychiatry examiner (as that a big risk factor for reoccurrence) who does yeoman duty and he cannot always be reached, so YMMV……
so provided I meet all the other requirements (I do) I should be good to go? Also, could you explain the “he would have to find the right examiner” part?

AME's - including HIMS AME - should not issue a medical certificate on their own authority UNLESS the condition was diagnosed as adjustment disorder AND lasted for less than six months. AMEs can sometimes negotiate exceptions to policy by contacted AMCD reviewing physicians, but your case would need to be compelling.

Based on the duration of your treatment, you AME will be obligated to defer your exam. If he doesn't, it's because he bent the rules or went a LONG extra mile for you. That said, with a favorable and well written report from your psychiatrist, you should not need to spend any additional money on evaluations. You'll still have to wait for them to review your application - expect that to take 6 months or more.

Back