First Cirrus Flight

jordane93

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Jordan
Today I had my first SR-20 flight. Boy is it a nice plane! Me and the owner of the flight school flew over to TEB for the NBAA event that's going on tomorrow. It was packed with jets and lots of GA planes. We departed FRG and flew right over the Throgs Neck Bridge and over LGA and got handed off by LGA tower to TEB tower. The plane flies really well and I got used to the side stick immediately. The taxiing was a little difficult. I feel like the rudder pedals are less responsive and instead I have to use little taps of differential braking if I want it to turn. The autopilot is great nd the plane has lots of automation so I need to get down the button pushing. I'm used to flying steam gauges so this was a pretty new experience for me but I had a lot of fun Me and the Chief CFI then flew back from TEB and did some slow flight, steep turns, and power off/on stalls. Next flight will be a review of the airwork and we'll get in more landings. I'm looking forward to instructing in this plane. Attached are some pictures!

sr20_zpsfjk5mc7a.jpg

sr202_zpsta9tzgg1.jpg

Very Cool. I'd love to get my hands on one of those.

I'm trying to convince my wife that my learning to fly is a good idea, so we're doing an extended discovery flight together in one. I sat in it on the ramp, it was NICE.

Hopefully this will help her get excited about the option GA would open up for our family.

AND, my logbook's first hours will be dual instruction in an SR20

The rudder doesn't steer that's why you had to use the brakes. Cool pics. were you in the right or was the CFI taking pics ?

Edit. Nevermind I get that you will be instructing and you should be in the right.

Last edited:
Trying to make some of us jealous? Looks like fun.

Factoid... sit on the ground in it and press the rudder pedals. The stick will move.
They are tied together. It's just a fancy ercoupe.

You can steer w rudder the ground if rpms are up. After time you can get to where you barely use the brakes.

I would say, as a general rule, never use differential braking until you've used full rudder for at least a moment to confirm its not enough.

And taxi fast enough that the rudder has a chance to be effective, but not so fast you constantly have to brake to slow down.

Judicious use of runway and taxiway "crown" can also help reduce the need for differential braking.

Coming from a Grumman, I did not find the Cirrus that different on the ground.

And now my Sky Arrow also has a free castering nosewheel, so all the same techniques apply.

I'll try those techniques next flight. I think I'm flying in it again next week.

The rudder doesn't steer that's why you had to use the brakes. Cool pics. were you in the right or was the CFI taking pics ?

Edit. Nevermind I get that you will be instructing and you should be in the right.
Yea I'll be instructing in it as soon as we finish up the training. Our school also does Part 91 flights in it and we fly left seat in it. I sat in the left seat coming back from TEB but next flight I'll be in the right.

Factoid... sit on the ground in it and press the rudder pedals. The stick will move.
They are tied together. It's just a fancy ercoupe.

You can steer w rudder the ground if rpms are up. After time you can get to where you barely use the brakes.

If depends on the model. True for pre-G3. G3 and later have extra wing dihedral and the rudder-aileron interconnect removed. I find the handling on G3 and nerve slightly crisper but I don't have a lot of time in the newer ones so it may just be a plane to plane variation.

The more I fly them, the more I like them. But I'm still not ready to trade my Tiger for an SR20.

Just don't ever set the parking brake.

:rofl:

Read up on Cirrus. Overheat (or ride) the brakes, and there is a real potential for fire. Wheels are brakes are small for the type, don't rely on them because if found them to be less effective than other aircraft. Be careful about trimming on short final. You will go to flare and be in a world of hurt in very short order.

It's not as much of a "get in and go" airplane as other types I have flown.

Second flight in the Cirrus today. Did some more power on/off stalls and steep turns. We loaded and set up for the ILS 36 into OXC and coupled the approach with the A/P. What an amazing machine! It's just like a mini airliner. Disconnected the autopilot at 1000ft and I hand flew it to minimums. Then we did some touch and go's. The Cirrus is so easy to land and once you get it in te flare, it wants to land itself. After we departed back to FRG and came in for a landing. Taxiing was a lot easier and I'm starting to get used to it. I still have to learn a lot more of the automation and Perspective avionics so I'll probably sit with the plane when I have a break and play around with the avionics. And to top it off, my student soloed today!

The Cirrus is the best move I made. I just wish it went 300+ Knots and was pressurized. Guess I need the Jet. (and some extra $$). They made it so easy to fly that I find myself shaking my head at times thinking I forgot to do something.

You really get used to them. The weirdest thing I did in my transition was the autopilot stalls.....

You really get used to them. The weirdest thing I did in my transition was the autopilot stalls.....

The Cirrus is the best move I made. I just wish it went 300+ Knots and was pressurized. Guess I need the Jet. (and some extra $$). They made it so easy to fly that I find myself shaking my head at times thinking I forgot to do something.
It truly is an amazing airplane. I can't wait to transition to our SR-22's

Jordan,

Glad you're settling in.

Hope some of the suggestions here helped.
Yea the main problem i ad was taxiing. Once you pick up enough speed the rudders start to become more effective and I had an easier time taxiing today.

What I don't get is why Garmin didn't use a QWERTY keyboard since basically everybody knows it by second nature these days. :dunno:

Looks like you had a fun trip.

It truly is an amazing airplane. I can't wait to transition to our SR-22's

Just wait till you transition to a Citation. Then the Cirrus will be long forgot about. Aviation works that way sometimes. You get to fly something new then the last "cool" bird doesn't seem as cool as the new one.

Its great to follow your progress since I'm only a step ahead of you and know the hard work you're putting in.

Just wait till you transition to a Citation. Then the Cirrus will be long forgot about. Aviation works that way sometimes. You get to fly something new then the last "cool" bird doesn't seem as cool as the new one.

Its great to follow your progress since I'm only a step ahead of you and know the hard work you're putting in.
Yea right now this is my "latest & greatest" airplane. I'm sure if I get on with a regional I'll have some more starry eyes. Sitting around 500TT now and love teaching. Have fun in the Citation!

Just don't ever set the parking brake.

:rofl:

Read up on Cirrus. Overheat (or ride) the brakes, and there is a real potential for fire. Wheels are brakes are small for the type, don't rely on them because if found them to be less effective than other aircraft. Be careful about trimming on short final. You will go to flare and be in a world of hurt in very short order.

It's not as much of a "get in and go" airplane as other types I have flown.
Bravo...well said. And my flight school charges $400 per side if you burn up the brakes...and it's easy to do. Folks tend to do high rpm's so that differential braking works. That turns the heat sensors black, and the plane is down till fixed.

Also, one of the best lessons ever, especially for this SR22 owner: Forget the first taxiway. Don't show off your short landings. Coast and save those brakes. My Flight Operations Manual recommends no runways shorter than 2,500 (not a restriction...a recommendation).

I'm a student pilot learning in a Cessna 172, but have had my eyes on a SR22 since the early days. I did one flight in one just to experience it and totally loved it, extra motivation to work on getting one eventually. Definitely an awesome plane.

Personal opinion: the Cirrus is a good airplane, but creates a "Children of the Magenta Line" problem. Give me a Husky, Super Cub, or Citabria.

Personal opinion: the Cirrus is a good airplane, but creates a "Children of the Magenta Line" problem. Give me a Husky, Super Cub, or Citabria.
Yea I can see it being a problem with primary students. Even my students in a G1000 172 are so enamored by the equipment inside. Every lesson I have to use my kneeboard and cover the screens and tell them to look outside.

Tomorrow I'm doing part of my IPC and we're going to file and shoot some approaches and holds.

Agree, amazing airplanes... once you have your ticket. Call me old fashion but I still think one should learn 'old school.' Having all those fancy gizmos from the start can cause a lot of problems.

e.g. I've overheard something like this too often:

ATC: "Cirrus 123, traffic 2 o'clock, 2 miles, same altitude"

Pilot: "Yeah, thanks... we've got him on the screen in the cockpit here."

ATC: "Look up... how about that big screen out into the real world. Do you see a plane out your window?"

Pilot: "Ummm.... standby"

Pilot: "OK we have traffic"

ATC: "OK sir thank-you. You're a VFR flight... I need you looking out the window, not at your screens!"

Last edited:
Update. I went up today with my CFI and we did some approaches from the right seat. We did FRG-GON-FOK-FRG. FRG was solid IFR when we took off and GON and FOK were LIFR so it was great practice because I haven't flown instruments in almost 2 years. We took off from FRG around 10:30am and we were in the soup around 500ft. I hand flew the plane up to our cruising altitude of 7000 ft then clicked the autopilot. While climbing and turning per the Farmingdale 4 Departure I went a little past the standard rate turn but overall I was able to hold the headings and altitudes pretty well. We got the ILS 5 into GON and I was way behind the plane. We were doing around 170-180kts over the ground and before I knew it, we were getting vectors for the approach and I didn't even brief the approach, load the approach, and get myself situated for the descent. We coupled the approach and shot it down to minimums. We broke out at minimums even though I thought we were going to go missed. We taxied back and got out clearance to FOK. I hand flew this entire leg and did pretty well except during the approach. I stayed ahead of the plane on this leg regarding setting up the approach, briefing, checklists, etc, but on the approach I had a little trouble with my speed management. We asked if we can get the published missed after minimums while getting vectors but approach told us they were unable due to jets diverting from HTO. So we just shot the ILS 24 and broke out around minimums and got a taxi back. Last leg was back to FRG and I hand flew this one the entire time. We did a AHRS1 failure and ALT2 failure and ran through the checklist to see what we would do. We got vectors for the GPS 19 into FRG and called it a day. FRG was VFR when we landed. Tomorrow we are doing touch and go's and pattern work to perfect my landings. The lesson after that will be in the SR-22 and we are going to do more approaches and some holds. I was pretty comfortable programming in the GPS, all the button pushing, communications, and copying down clearances. Now I just have to work on landings and do more approaches and holds for my IPC. Attached are some pics for whoever cares!

ifr3_zpspqewbidh.jpg

Went up today in the SR-22. We filed to HTO and shot the RNAV 28 Z and the published missed coupled with the autopilot. While in the hold my CFI gave me an AHRS failure and ADC failure. We picked up our clearance to HVN and hand flew the ILS 2. We landed and taxied back out and went VFR to FRG. On the way to FRG we did some unusual attitudes and then did some touch and go's. Next flight will be next week and I'll get my HP endorsement, BFR, and IPC. We will work on some more approaches and holds. Here are some shots from today

hold2_zpsfegy99pm.jpg

hold_zpsttih2lhc.jpg

Finished SR-22 training. I am now a Cirrus Training Center Instructor. I got my IPC, HP endorsement, and BFR!

Great stuff. This is a big step already and I'm sure you are very aware of that. Keep us posted on all your future progress.

Back