First BFR

ScottK

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
ScottK
It's two years to the day that I passed my Private checkride. Today I'll be going out to do my first BFR.

I was wondering if there is typically hood work on a bfr. I'm assuming it's a checkride without the intense nervousness. I went through some things the last couple nights as a refresher and found that I remembered more than I thought. I haven't been flying much lately, life has been getting in the way. Hopefully, I'll do well.

Yes, typically some hood work- like a mini-checkride, except that it is training, so the instructor evaluates, then instructs to correct or improve performance.

I always start with 2 maneuvers that tell a lot about pilot proficiency - steep turns and slow flight. After that we look at some PTS maneuvers and do some landings and take offs, including at least a short field landing and take off. If the pilot is a VFR pilot I do not spend a lot of time with a hood, just a little normal flying and an unusual attitude. I try to tailor the FR to cover the type of flying the pilot normally does.

Not necessarily.
Instructor (?examiner?) discretion of what is/isn't covered/demonstrated.
Could be easy. Could be hard. Could be intense.
You won't know until it happens.
But don't get shook! It isn't an inquisition. It's a training experience.

At the risk of stating the obvious, why don't you ask the instructor? Is this one you've flown with before? There's no reason they would keep it a secret, you should know before going in what they expect. The rules leave it almost entirely up to the CFI as to what kinds of things to do in the air, and it can and should be tailored to the type of flying you do (or you want to do). In other words, my BFR for someone who flies 152s on sunny, calm Saturdays to go eat lunch is going to be different than the one who flies hard IFR routinely for his business, etc.

However, many people (including myself) like to use the BFR to learn something new. You're paying for it anyway, right? This doesn't have to be a full new rating or endorsement or anything, it can be something as simple as landing on a grass runway if you never have.

I was wondering if there is typically hood work on a bfr. I'm assuming it's a checkride without the intense nervousness.

Most will ask if there are any particular areas that you want to work on ... the initial is usually steep turns, a stall or two and slow flight. Two BFR's ago I found a CFI that does aerobatics ... he did a HUGE BFR with over 2 hours ground and 1.5 in the air in his PITTS! Did all the spins and rolls that I wanted and had him demonstrate some other maneuvers. It was nice to actually perform spin recoveries. He had a blast as well ... tried to charge me $200, but I knew his fuel burn wasn't much lower than that (plus it was his plane) so I obviously paid more than he attempted to charge initially as I thought it was unfair to him.

Good luck,it should be a learning experience.

Most will ask if there are any particular areas that you want to work on ... the initial is usually steep turns, a stall or two and slow flight...

You pretty much nailed it. We did a some steep turns, both types of stalls, the short and soft field landings, a power off landing from the downwind and slow flight.

My power on stall and short field landings weren't great. I dipped the wing a good bit to the right on the stall, but recovered ok. Just a little slow on the rudder. And my short field landing hit the spot, but it was an ugly landing. Fortunately, I finished up with a pretty good crosswind soft field landing. It felt good to end the day on that one.

The one thing I wanted to work on was slips, but I forgot. Next time I guess.

you should have your instrument ticket by now - go get it. May not exempt you from the BFR this year . ..

you should have your instrument ticket by now - go get it. May not exempt you from the BFR this year . ..

Money just about saved. Plan is to start inst training this spring.

I was wondering if there is typically hood work on a [flight review].

There should be. Instrument flying is an essential skill even for VFR pilots, both for emergency IMC and for VMC night flight without visible terrain. It's important to stay proficient at it, not only for FRs (unless you never fly at night or on cloudy days).

The BFR consists of what you and the CFI agree it consists of.
It is the perfect excuse to do something worth while - little things like:
unusual attitudes under the hood
take off and departure stalls
spins
spot landing contest
how accurately can you plot and then fly a timed triangular course using only needle, ball, and whiskey compass for navigation
assume the yoke has broken and fly the plane down to short final using the trim tab and rudders only (and throttle of course)
etc.

Now, I know that many of you are rolling your eyes because this is not the prim and PROPER way to do a BFR. But I gotta tell, let my personal CFI, Vlad The Impaler, do your BFR and you learn a whole lot about airplanes and yourself that you did not know before. - and is not that the real purpose of training.

I was wondering if there is typically hood work on a bfr.
Depends on the pilot and aircraft involved. If I'm doing a flight review for a VFR-only pilot who only flies a 91.205-minimum day VFR Piper Cub within visual range of the airport, I won't bother with any hood work. If you're a instrument-rated heavy traveler with a full IFR Bonanza, better be ready for at least one approach and a partial panel unusual attitude. IOW, I'm going to try to structure the review based on the flying you do in the plane you fly. That's why the FAA recommends the reviewer and reviewee talk a day or two prior so the review can be structured appropriately, and the reviewee knows what to expect.

Back