First Annual.

EdFred

Taxi to Parking
Display Name

Display name:
White Chocolate
Just dropped off 7DS today for the first annual under my ownership. What are your guesses as to total cost? Closest to guess will win somethin, of course you have to claim it in person at 6Y9 if you are closest. :D

Just dropped off 7DS today for the first annual under my ownership. What are your guesses as to total cost? Closest to guess will win somethin, of course you have to claim it in person at 6Y9 if you are closest. :D

You should know what your annual inspection costs before you allow any one to start the inspection.

Is it mandatory that you have all discrepancies corrected before the annual can be signed off as airworthy?

It had a 10k annual done on it just before I took delivery, and I did drop it off at 35D.

So winner gets free drinks and all you can eat Sloppy Hoppies at Hoppes????

Annual Inspection or "annual"?

Whoa. You guys are nuts.

I've never spent more than $500 for an annual, ever.

How can you justify $1-2-3,000 + every year? Why not put that into a better airplane?

Experimental is the only way to fly.

Last edited:
The only expense in my annual is parts. :D

Mine too, except to pay the A&P. :lol:

You guys do realize why the A&P's just love keeping old certifieds flying right?

It always cracks me up to see someone pull up to their hangar in a brand new car, and pull out a 35 year old plane.

Last edited:
you guys have it all wrong. Engines make annuals pricey. My Annual on my certificated glider was a mere $125 last year :)

Whoa. You guys are nuts.

How can you justify $1-2-3,000 + every year? Why not put that into a better airplane?

Some people on here have missions that no readily available experimental aircraft can fulfill where as there are certified options.

Whoa. You guys are nuts.

Find me an experimental that takes me 0 hours to build, and will haul 1250 pounds and do 150kts for 45k. I can't build an RV-10 that cheap, and I can't do it in less than a month which is how long it took me to have my plane from the time I found it until the time I flew it home.

Even if I build a -10, I'm looking at 100k minimum for the equivalent plane. Even if the annual runs me $2500/year on the Comanche, it will take me 22 years to spend the same amount I would have invested in the RV-10, oh yeah, and I'd still have at least a year left on finishing it.

Will the cost include a paint job?

No, it will be painted at a later date.

$875.00 Probably worth twice that but you always get the good deals.:thumbsup:

I have no idea but guess that an inspection of that particular aircraft should be about twice whatever it is that they charge you. You only get three guesses why that is and the first two guesses don't count.:D

In my particular case, they liked the looks of the aircraft so much they kept it around just to show folks. Yours, on the other hand...

If it's closest: $1359

If, like the price is right, it's closest without going over: $1 :)

The annual inspection should cost around $800 - $1,000.

The total cost before it's air worthy again is a wild guess.

What is on your list to be fixed, modified or reviewed?

and then what is the A&P going to find that must be repaired or should be if you have the funds.

My first "annual" was in the mid $2,000 and mostly covered items I want fixed or replaced.

The second annual was in the mid $12,000 as I needed to replace a cylinder, Prop O/H, replace the cowl flap cables which were binding and too short.

It seems that adding RG to 172 is like adding Corvette to Chevrolet the price of parts skyrockets.

guessing a small single?

guessing
300 for annual + 400 for parts, shop material= $700

Last edited:
$1K for inspection, about $5K since it is the first annual, unless its going to the mechanic who did the prebuy.

The annual inspection should cost around $800 - $1,000.

The total cost before it's air worthy again is a wild guess.

What is on your list to be fixed, modified or reviewed?

and then what is the A&P going to find that must be repaired or should be if you have the funds.

My first "annual" was in the mid $2,000 and mostly covered items I want fixed or replaced.

The second annual was in the mid $12,000 as I needed to replace a cylinder, Prop O/H, replace the cowl flap cables which were binding and too short.

It seems that adding RG to 172 is like adding Corvette to Chevrolet the price of parts skyrockets.

It absolutely amasses me that any one would have a pre-buy completed and not know every thing that is wrong with their aircraft, even after flying it a year.

What good is a pre-buy if it isn't good enough to tell you that?
Wouldn't you know if you broke some thing?
Don't you keep track of high time items?
Don't you get things fixed as they occur?

I can't help wondering why any annual should be a surprise?
Or why any owner will drop their aircraft off and give the shop permission to rape their wallot.

It absolutely amasses me that any one would have a pre-buy completed and not know every thing that is wrong with their aircraft, even after flying it a year.

Or why any owner will drop their aircraft off and give the shop permission to rape their wallot.

The prebuy hinted at the cylinder problem I had one with upper 60's. First annual identified a valve issue with the adjust and watch. Year two dropped to mid 50's and leaking oil so I elected to change it out.

Now those two Cowl Flap cables seem like a pretty inexpensive part. For a 182 they are under $200 each. For a 172RG they are $1800 dollars each and we were unable to find used ones anywhere.

How am I gonna know if there is metal being produced since the last oil change? How am I going to know if there is some corroded nut that is not visible without tearing off the tailcone? How am I going to know that there is some chafing on a wire in the wing because of x y or z? None of these are visible during a normal pre-flight.

Back