First Annual - problem with IA brewing...

Status
Not open for further replies.
A smarty pants posting, should have known what they were talking about
I still don’t know why you think my example is different than yours.

It will not matter. The GPS transmitter is reasonably strong and the GPS receiver is a marvel of sensitivity and multipath correlation. Perhaps inside a copper septic tank you'll not get a signal, but "metal roof"? Pshaw. :cheerswine:

Jim
I grant the GPS receivers (most of them) have greatly improved. Not too long ago, tree leaves were sufficient to block the signals. The instruction manual for the old Garmin GPS III mentioned moving from under trees to get a signal. The GPS in my 7D2 camera is far from the greatest, and still needs a good view of the sky to work reliably. Still, I haven't seen many that work in a metal hangar. Yeah, they've increased the power from the old C/A only codes, but it's still a pretty weak signal.

Last edited:
I grant the GPS receivers (most of them) have greatly improved. Not too long ago, tree leaves were sufficient to block the signals. The instruction manual for the old Garmin GPS III mentioned moving from under trees to get a signal. The GPS in my 7D2 camera is far from the greatest, and still needs a good view of the sky to work reliably. Still, I haven't seen many that work in a metal hangar. Yeah, they've increased the power from the old C/A only codes, but it's still a pretty weak signal.

Yeah. I've had two airplanes with WAAS GPS and neither get a signal in the hangar. I just assumed that's normal.

I still don’t know why tom thinks loran should be placarded and gps shouldn’t when the lack of source signals make it untestable to determine proper operation.......

Do you really care? -Skip
If it teaches me something I didn’t know, yes. If it’s nitpicking nonsense, no. But I can’t know that until he actually says something beyond “figure it out”.

I still don’t know why tom thinks loran should be placarded and gps shouldn’t when the lack of source signals make it untestable to determine proper operation.......
Because there is one hell of a big difference between the two.
Loran didn't get it's signal from a satellite, or hadn't you figured that out yet

Because there is one hell of a big difference between the two.
Loran didn't get it's signal from a satellite, or hadn't you figured that out yet
They both get their signals from a source external to the aircraft. Whether the source is on the surface of the Earth or in orbit is immaterial. In both scenarios, functionality is prevented by external events, not by any defect in the aircraft's installed equipment.

They both get their signals from a source external to the aircraft. Whether the source is on the surface of the Earth or in orbit is immaterial. In both scenarios, functionality is prevented by external events, not by any defect in the aircraft's installed equipment.
Point being 1 doesn't get a signal.

Try as I might, yet again, I’ve failed to extract even a small nugget of useful knowledge from you tom.

Point being 1 doesn't get a signal.

In one case, reception is prevented because signals are not being transmitted. In the other, reception is prevented by the transmission of interfering signals. Neither is the fault of the equipment installed in the aircraft.

In one case, reception is prevented because signals are not being transmitted. In the other, reception is prevented by the transmission of interfering signals. Neither is the fault of the equipment installed in the aircraft.
And in neither case can you determine if the receiving equipment is working.

And in neither case can you determine if the receiving equipment is working.
If you could find someone who still has the appropriate equipment (such as the SM-708 mentioned on this Web page), the Loran receiver could be bench tested. I don't know if there is equipment for bench testing GPS receivers. If not, you could test it by flying out of the coverage area of the interference NOTAM.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back