First Airplane Solo

LDJones

Touchdown! Greaser!
Gone West
Display Name

Display name:
Jonesy
Yesterday was a milestone for one of my students...his First Solo in an Airplane. Jake got his private helicopter a few months ago and is now working on building time towards his instrument and commercial. Cherokee time is MUCH cheaper than helicopter time so he decided to get his airplane rating. He soloed in just over 5 hours, the quickest solo of any of my students. It helps having all the radio skills when you start, although I figured out there are some unique training differences a heli-only pilot has to deal with transitioning to airplanes...some of which can kill you (like NOT stomping on a rudder to align you with final after overshooting! You can do that in a helicopter...not so much an airplane!) Congrats, Jake!

Attachments

• GotschallJake_FirstSoloAirplane_sm.jpg
    GotschallJake_FirstSoloAirplane_sm.jpg
    266.1 KB · Views: 54
Yesterday was a milestone for one of my students...his First Solo in an Airplane. Jake got his private helicopter a few months ago and is now working on building time towards his instrument and commercial. Cherokee time is MUCH cheaper than helicopter time so he decided to get his airplane rating. He soloed in just over 5 hours, the quickest solo of any of my students. It helps having all the radio skills when you start, although I figured out there are some unique training differences a heli-only pilot has to deal with transitioning to airplanes...some of which can kill you (like NOT stomping on a rudder to align you with final after overshooting! You can do that in a helicopter...not so much an airplane!) Congrats, Jake!

You can do that, but it would be just as wrong, though maybe not as (potentially) deadly.
So don't let him use that as excuse. :)

It was quickly addressed. He's a quick learner.

Well, congrats to both of you for his solo. I am sure he'll knock down the PP(A) in no time.

Last edited:
5 hrs! holy crap. I think it took me 12...I probably wasn't even ready either.

It's kinda sad...probably my last sign-off for a few months as my CRJ training starts Monday. Thankfully a long-time CFI buddy has agreed to come out of retirement and keep my students progressing for the next couple of months while I'm gone. I suspect Jake will have his airplane add-on before I get back.

Congrats from me as well! 5 hours??? incredible. Don't recall how many I had before solo (log book burned up) but it was a lot more than that! I remember when I left the ground in TOTAL control, I screamed out loud....WHOOOPEEE!

Wow that wild 5 hours. WhT are you doing the crj training for?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back