First aerobatic flight tomorrow

Dart

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
iM a grandpa
Well, tomorrow I turn in my gift certificate at Warbird Adventures, Kissimmee airport. It will be my first tail wheel, first round cowl, and first upside down flight.

Yeah, I'm a little scared. Intellectually, I accept it is just another plane, flown within its performance envelope. It's just I have never, ever puked in a plane and I don't want to ruin that record. :no:

If I survive and don't puke I'll rave about it in HT :fcross:

If I puke :vomit: we'll leave it here where fewer souls lurk. ;)

P.S. I hate roller coasters although I haven't puked after one. They tell me this is smoother.

You can do it! I love roller coasters although I get a little anxious on a new one. My first spin training flight caught me off-guard but I kept saying yes until I exceeded my limit with more than just spins. That was in the back of Super D. The second flight was in the front. I had a whole new view, literally. I got through it and did fine. The third flight on was.... "What's the big deal?" :)

Dart - I did some aero work in a Pitts Special last year and it was the most fun I had to date with my clothes on.:yes: Permagrin has a whole new meaning.

Dart, you will have a blast. Diana took me on my first Acro flight at Gastons and I was a bit nervous but after that first roll or loop man your just screaming for more.:hairraise::D:D

Dart,
You will be fine, I have not done anything but spins. I do find my self smiling or laughing uncontrollably when I get into heavy turbulence or am on a roller coaster. I hope that means I am destined to do aerobatics. I hope to hear all about the flight when you're done.

I took about 10 hours worth of aerobatic lessons last summer, first in a Super D, then in a Pitts. I thought it was great and if I can get my life and schedule together I'd like to do more. :yes:

Well, tomorrow I turn in my gift certificate at Warbird Adventures, Kissimmee airport. It will be my first tail wheel, first round cowl, and first upside down flight.
I hope I'm not too late to tell you to have fun! :) Looking forward to hearing all about it.

WOW! WOW! WOW! WOW! WOW! WOW!WOW! WOW! WOW!

I'm finally calm enough to write.

The BASICS:

It was the first calm morning in days; cool, and clear with scattered cirrus and some low level haze. Not a bump in the sky, like butter.

Got there early and had to wait a few minutes because another flight was scheduled and so they were going to do a formation take off. (Gee, I guess if if I have to, and theres no additional charge, well, I guess it's OK :rolleyes:)

Hung around their museum (OK, hanger full of collectibles and projects) and it was fun.

The plane was a T- 6, twice the weight and horsepower of anything I've done.

Did some formation work (L & R echelons, in trail, and abreast right), about half dozen steep turns, some wing overs? (chandell s? lazy eights? :dunno:) then barrel roll, aileron roll, and a loop. I'll have to watch the video but I think there were two of some of those three.

At that point I needed some straight and level to let my tummy descend to its normal location! NO PUKE! (that's very important!). All that took 17 minutes so; in two minutes we would've had to head back anyway.

I accomplished my goal, which was to see the ground on the wrong side of the sky before it happened by mistake. Now I feel a burning desire to spin an airplane. Goodness this stuff is addictive!

My CFI was great! I did most of the flying after the take off and formation in trail. I flew during the other planes formation in trail. He talked me through everything adding or removing input when I goofed during the aerobatic stuff. and he did the final spiral to landing.

The GUSHING: :goofy:

It was sooooo cool. Real s-turn taxi (no I see why they have to do it).

A big plane. It is so powerful, it can do so much! (oddly, it is placarded "No Spins" After we finished the aerobatics I was allowed to just fly without purpose, so I did turns and precision stuff like hold altitude, hold heading. Once I stop whipping my head all around trying to see and mentally record EVERYTHING, my pilotage improved dramatically and I began to "wear" the plane more comfortably.

I really think for the first time in my life I FLEW, not piloted, an airplane.

It was one of the most intense and exhausting thirty minutes of my life.

What an incredible day, I don't know why God blesses me so but: Thank YOU Lord!!!

The downside: :(

It is too expensive to do often. However, I think it did more for my piloting skills than any two hour "hamburger run" ever did. I will do this again. I want to do the Texan at least one more time because it's, ... well, ... so BIG. (Yes, size matters ;) ). But at over $700 an hour (tax, tag, title and dealer prep) it is a big out of my league for anything more than a lifetime memory experience. After another thirty minute T-6 adrenaline rush I think I'll find someone with a Citabria or Pitts to do spin training.

Thanks for letting me share. WooHoo! :blowingkisses:

P.S. They deserve a 'plug': Warbirds Adventures at Kissimmee Airport

Last edited:
Dart, Thanks for the postive write-up. I have a chance coming up to do some aerobatics training in a Pitts. To be honest I'm a bit apprehensive. Very glad you had a good experience. Hope you can do it again soon.

Dart, Thanks for the postive write-up. I have a chance coming up to do some aerobatics training in a Pitts. To be honest I'm a bit apprehensive. Very glad you had a good experience. Hope you can do it again soon.
Lance, where at and who with?

I did spin training with Jimmy Willis up at GVL. He has a Super D hangared with Lanier Flight.

Lance, where at and who with?

I did spin training with Jimmy Willis up at GVL. He has a Super D hangared with Lanier Flight.
My captain on the Learjets is a past Junior National Aerobatics champion. The jets' owner bought a Pitts Special so
Bill could get back into aerobatics competition. Last night (we're on a trip at St. Simons Island right now) at dinner he said, "We're gonna get you flying the Pitts."

OK

Holly cow, Lance. You have officialy fallen into the rosey smelling poop pile. I'm so jealous, I might not like to hear your stories of flying all over the Western Hemisphere. (j/k) I hope you are truly prepared for others to live vicariously through you.

Wow, Dart - that's awesome. Thanks for sharing. Even a vicarious ride in a T6 is a blast!:goofy:

Dart, great write up! Got me excited for you just reading it. Photos?

Oh ya...

Dear Lance F;

I think you have my job. I hate you. A lot.

Sincerely,
Teller

:)

Diana took me on my first Acro flight at Gastons and I was a bit nervous but after that first roll or loop man your just screaming for more.:hairraise::D:D
I love to be there for somebody's first something...especially if they have a good time. :) I've got a picture of you in the parachute somewhere in my computer.

Edit: Found the picture. :)

Attachments

• Adam.JPG
    Adam.JPG
    212.1 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
My captain on the Learjets is a past Junior National Aerobatics champion. The jets' owner bought a Pitts Special so
Bill could get back into aerobatics competition. Last night (we're on a trip at St. Simons Island right now) at dinner he said, "We're gonna get you flying the Pitts."

OK
Lance, I hate you! :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Leslie and I still have to do our formation ride in the T-6's here!

Back